Submarine lost

harrycatcat1

I heard on the news that a submarine off Indonesia somewhere has been lost some days ago. Apparently all the oxygen ran out at 1 o'clock this morning. 

Wouldn't you have thought that in this day and age that if the submarine had suffered a catastrophic failure that it would set off a "black" box? This would at least help rescuers find it, surely.

Rest in peace.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The whole reason for a sub is stealth!

A tracking device of any type surely is undesirable and even if left dormant, could accidentally be switched on at in opportune moment.

We have Emergency Locator Beacons that can be manually triggered of in the event of an impact. Yet the damn things occasionally set themselves off.

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

I heard on the news that a submarine off Indonesia somewhere has been lost some days ago. Apparently all the oxygen ran out at 1 o'clock this morning. 

Wouldn't you have thought that in this day and age that if the submarine had suffered a catastrophic failure that it would set off a "black" box? This would at least help rescuers find it, surely.

Rest in peace.

Awful. 

In a way I hope it was crushed, I would think a far better way to go than run out of oxygen. 

7 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

A tracking device of any type surely is undesirable and even if left dormant, could accidentally be switched on at in opportune moment.

We have Emergency Locator Beacons that can be manually triggered of in the event of an impact. Yet the damn things occasionally set themselves off.

I would think it quite easy to do, they carry nukes and can prevent them being launched by accident.

27 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Awful. 

In a way I hope it was crushed, I would think a far better way to go than run out of oxygen. 

I would think it quite easy to do, they carry nukes and can prevent them being launched by accident.

Without oxygen they would just have fallen asleep, have a watch of this.

Hopefully the sub pops back up. 

1 hour ago, enfieldspares said:

The hymn...."For those in peril..." at HRH Duke of Edinburgh's funeral still, sadly then, resonates true today. 

Sang that Hymn on the quarterdeck of several destroyers every Sunday morning. The mighty ocean deep is a very dangerous place to be. It will kill you in a second aaand there is no comeback!  Submariners are a special breed of people. I have spent only one day submerged in an "A" class sub and was glad to get back up top.

1 hour ago, Jaymo said:

Hello, I have to say I only put tracker as I do not think of the beacon locator which sounds more plausible ,  modern subs would I presume have this, this one is old from what I read , still does not detract from those brave sailors who we presume are now lost at sea, 

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

Is it possible for a sub to pop back up ?. 

I very much doubt it,  just wishful thinking really. 

50 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

That was interesting, everydays a school day, would a carbon monoxide build up change that for the worse? 

Watched it a few times on health and safety courses to do with working in confined spaces.

Prayers for the families.  But in reality what’s the point on Indonesia having a sub from the 70s. Any real navy could track and destroy it from 1000 miles away. Just seems like a waist of life and money to field such outdated technology.  The money they put into maintenance could probably buy a nice AA battery or something.