Where did I find this illustration ?

Old Boggy

Carrying on from the thread of the best sandwiches for the pigeon hide, can anyone tell me where I obtained the attached illustration.

The first person to name the book, author and illustrator will receive (whether or not they need or even want ???) one of my antler bottle openers, similar to those in the photo.

Now I know that some members already have one of these so this is restricted to anyone else. Those already in receipt may by all means PM me with the answer.

OB

IMG_1241.JPG

Bottle Openers 001.jpg

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

Illustrator is Norman Thelwell. Book at a guess is Pigeon Shooting and the author at another guess is Coates? 

Back to the drawing board with most of that I`m afraid Scully:no:

OB

I am ashamed to say I didn't bother replying to this initially, even though I was sure I remembered reading the book concerned and seeing the illustration.  However, due to the lack of accurate stabbing in the dark so far during this fiercely fought battle, I can reveal the following:

The book is (imaginatively) called Shooting Pigeons and is written by John Humphreys.

Now, the illustration is something of an enigma because only credit is given for the front and back covers to Rodger McPhail and Dave Parfitt respectively.

But I really fancy one of OB's bottle openers so I'm going to take a punt, based on one of Humphreys' other collaborations and say the illustrator of the cartoon was John Paley.

Do I get a bonus point for also stating the foreword was written by Major Archie Coates? 😁

EF437067-5749-4BD8-AFC6-C327C051ADDC.jpeg

6 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

I am ashamed to say I didn't bother replying to this initially, even though I was sure I remembered reading the book concerned and seeing the illustration.  However, due to the lack of accurate stabbing in the dark so far during this fiercely fought battle, I can reveal the following:

The book is (imaginatively) called Shooting Pigeons and is written by John Humphreys.

Now, the illustration is something of an enigma because only credit is given for the front and back covers to Rodger McPhail and Dave Parfitt respectively.

But I really fancy one of OB's bottle openers so I'm going to take a punt, based on one of Humphreys' other collaborations and say the illustrator of the cartoon was John Paley.

Do I get a bonus point for also stating the foreword was written by Major Archie Coates? 😁

EF437067-5749-4BD8-AFC6-C327C051ADDC.jpeg

You are spot on there Jim. It does say elsewhere in the book that some of the illustrations were by John Paley so well done on that. Also award yourself a house point for mentioning that the forward was by Archie Coats but take it away again for spelling his name wrong 😂 No ‘E’ in Coats.

PM me your address and I’ll get your bottle opener in the post.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy

15 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

You are spot on there Jim. It does say elsewhere in the book that some of the illustrations were by John Paley so well done on that. Also award yourself a house point for mentioning that the forward was by Archie Coats but take it away again for spelling his name wrong 😂 No ‘E’ in Coats.

PM me your address and I’ll get your bottle opener in the post.

OB

That was careless of me!  I blame @Scully for spelling it like that at the top of the thread 😝

I'm chuffed to bits, your bottle openers look fantastic.  Info sent via PM shortly.....

Thank you ☺️