Rabbit shooting.

Louisnagiel

Hi guys.

been out to try shoot some rabbits this evening. No luck atall, really underestimated the ******* haha. I’m looking for some tips I’m new to this 😂 I’ve got permission in a field. I found loads of warrens and even sore two rabbits but the bolted before I got anywhere close to them. I did love being out even though I got nothing. Would love some tips if anyone has any.

thank you 😊 

Yeah I do know .and the answer is no not really .it's very hard if your using an airgun as judging the range via torch is very difficult  .and knowing  range is every thing with airgunning  .

I'd find a comfy spot within 35 yds of the Warren , down wind and sit very still and wait  .

The best shot is the one you planned and worked for then made the perfect shot .

18 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

Yeah I do know .and the answer is no not really .it's very hard if your using an airgun as judging the range via torch is very difficult  .and knowing  range is every thing with airgunning  .

I'd find a comfy spot within 35 yds of the Warren , down wind and sit very still and wait  .

The best shot is the one you planned and worked for then made the perfect shot .

I agree with this, head out early evening in summer and just wait enjoying the last of the sunshine. The rabbits don’t care about their fallen comrades so sit tight and shoot quietly, picking them off as they come. 

I use a low seat (a small  deck chair with the legs cut off ) tuck it into a hedge wear camoflage .  And be still and noise free .don't smoke or wear pongy aftershave etc

and the rabbits (if there),  will come out and feed just before it gets dark .

Shoot what you can .then when its too dark to see pick them up and paunch them out  .

Take them home and give the insides a rinse with water and drop then in a plastic bag .and into the fridge .

Butcher  them  in the morning .don't leave it till the end of the next day they will have gone off .

Screenshot_20210424-221259_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Ultrastu

15 hours ago, Morkin said:

I was going to ask ultrastu was the rifle in top picture an ultra ? Because I the first PCP I had was a ultra in 22 and I wish I had never sold it . Why I ask the stock looks a bit different to my one I had good shooting nice lot of bunnies .

Hi morkin.

The rifle in the top pic is a bsa scorpion se fac ..177 

The bottom  Gun is an ultra mmc single shot ..177 sub 12 .infact it does 10.5 fpe with exacts .but drops bunnies just fine .

Both these guns are unbelievably  accurate. 

Rabbits have amazing senses  .

There hearing is superb .their nose amazing .and ability to detect foot fall vibration excellent .

Their eye sight is pretty good but relies on movement .

So if your walking around smelling of fags chatting or snapping sticks under foot .you will have no chance .

The sitting still down wind is the opposite  and will give you the best chance  of success.