post office trial

armsid

i see that the appeals put in by the convicted post masters has been upheld and convictions overturned.Now they are going to try for compensation and rightly so but will those responsible at the Post Office and Fujitsu be convicted of perjury? Your comments please

Been following this for some time
Used to be mates with several post-masters, luckily none of whom were affected by this fiasco!

The heavy handed way the Post Office treated the local post-masters was nothing short of appalling...especially for those who were fined or even jailed in some cases!!
That's time they won't get back.

Since privatisation the Post Office has become almost a big a farce as the BBC

I've been aware of this for some years - there is even a Wikipedia page:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizon_(IT_system)

Having worked in software companies for 33 years plus  I've seen attitudes change from 'there are no bugs in our code' to the accepted realisation that virtually all code has bugs.   A recent example is the lander on Mars with the little helicopter - needed a software update before it could fly, bugs had been found.

In this case there is the underlying issue of outsourced software development - the supplier doesn't want to admit to issues because with that comes liability both to find and fix and that means cost and eroded profit margins.   Most software applications are sold without 'warranty' so there is an inevitable squabble over ownership and the result is often a fudged quick and dirty fix.

Somewhere in the Fujitsu/ICL history will be people who were involved in testing who will have known about unresolved issues (bugs) probably with unrealistic contractual release dates attached - or some such story.

The sad thing is that the real culprits are buried so deep/have long since departed that they'll never be found.

Edited by Cosmicblue

My longest playmate...we've known each other since age 15 and I'm now 63 closed his Post Office just before the Fujitsu system was rolled out. But like me he wants to know who of the prosecution witnesses who will indeed have committed perjury will go to jail? The answer like the Stefan Kiszko disgrace and like Hillsborough will be none. And that's why these miscarriages of justice will continue. The rule should be simple. Perjure yourself and someone wrongly goes to jail or at a loss of life event such as Hillsborough then you should be prosecuted and serve jail time. There is currently as I write a trial related to the aftermath of Hillsborough. I await that vedict.

Because you can’t trust any company to be judge and jury it’s not ethical. Many senior managers and sales people  will have taken big bonuses for the delivery of the horizon system. It goes to show that cracks are often covered over then bigger cracks. If you don’t allow staff to blow the whistle this is where you end up imho!

9 hours ago, saddler said:

The heavy handed way the Post Office treated the local post-masters was nothing short of appalling...especially for those who were fined or even jailed in some cases!!
That's time they won't get back.

Since privatisation the Post Office has become almost a big a farce as the BBC

Bear in mind most of this happened well before privatisation.  That is not to say that the PO is not useless now, however, IMHO they were even more useless and expensive before as a state monopoly. 

On 24/04/2021 at 22:26, enfieldspares said:

My longest playmate...we've known each other since age 15 and I'm now 63 closed his Post Office just before the Fujitsu system was rolled out. But like me he wants to know who of the prosecution witnesses who will indeed have committed perjury will go to jail? The answer like the Stefan Kiszko disgrace and like Hillsborough will be none. And that's why these miscarriages of justice will continue. The rule should be simple. Perjure yourself and someone wrongly goes to jail or at a loss of life event such as Hillsborough then you should be prosecuted and serve jail time. There is currently as I write a trial related to the aftermath of Hillsborough. I await that vedict.

Don't hold your breath. I have long since given up holding on to the thoughts imparted in my youth concerning honesty and conduct.