Curry.....

ditchman

Today im mainley doing curry...........for tomorrow.........i am using half an oxtail which is sitting in the slow cooker with some beef stock after being seared   then i will take it off the bone in 3 hours time and add stuff to it turn it off and finish cooking it tomorrow.............have never done a curry with oxtail before so i will let you know the outcome..........

3 minutes ago, amateur said:

Definitely leave it overnight to mature.

Pork cheek, cooked long and slow,  makes a good curry too.

Another favourite is Vietnamese liver curry made with crunchy peanut butter and soy sauce.

oooooh..........i will try pork cheek next time

will have to fess up and say i have put hard boiled eggs and small pots in it to fester overnight...........

when i turned off the slow cooker last night...i gave it a taste..........chile very strong and acidic burn in the back of the 

mouth...................which hid the overall taste of the dish........

brought it up to temperature just now and tasted it................totally superb.....the chile is full and very smooth rounded taste with plenty of heat but no burn...which allows al the taste of the meat to come thro.............the nature of the fat in the oxtail has worked like using Gee..............i cooked the oxtail with some beef stock....then gently fried one onion and added 3 heaped teaspoolfulls of curry powder to the onions to gently fry as well.......added a little tomatoe paste....then added the stock out of the slowcooker and brought to a boil.....took the meat off the bone ...then pored everything back into the slow cooker to get up to temperature.......

added 2 boiled eggs and baby potatoes...and turned off the cooker....and left it overnight........

i shall serve up with basmati rice and a plain naan bread.......

"today is a good day...."

Was becoming partial to a nice curry during my younger years, as they were all the rage, along with Yoga & tie dies, etc.

Home cooked. Really nice, UNTIL, the DIRTY DIRTY *******....added slices of banana, and raisins....in a chicken curry!!

Dirty dirty dirty!

I'll not say what she did to pizzas. She was lucky ChildLine was not around...!

Was lucky (?) enough to do my degree in the West Miss in the early/mid-90's. 

Had some amazing Baltis in Wolves: about £4 would get a tin dish big enough to wash a small farm animal in, a with a naan bread Captain Cook could have used as a blanket to keep off the Antarctic chill of an evening.

Had some real good curry on Cowley Road in Oxford in the late 80's too. First time I'd had mango chutney, lassi, etc. too.

On 27/04/2021 at 10:33, 243deer said:

I suspect reasonable quantities of a strongly flavoured red wine or ale will be needed to quaff with such a rich dish, sounds lovely. Stews and curries always mature and taste better the next day.

I concur and also find freezing and defrosting adds more taste

Just to add; did you all realise that you can buy uncooked pompadoms that just need a few seconds in the micro or even better over a gas flame

9 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

I concur and also find freezing and defrosting adds more taste

Just to add; did you all realise that you can buy uncooked pompadoms that just need a few seconds in the micro or even better over a gas flame

they sell em in the co-op.......chuck em in the frying pan.......

5 hours ago, saddler said:

........Was lucky (?) enough to do my degree in the West Miss in the early/mid-90's. 

Had some amazing Baltis in Wolves: about £4 would get a tin dish big enough to wash a small farm animal in, a with a naan bread Captain Cook could have used as a blanket to keep off the Antarctic chill of an evening........

I went to Bradford University in the 70s. 

25p would buy you a mutton curry and a couple of chapattis on a plate, no cutlery, just a sink in the corner to wash your hands before you ate. If you were feeling flush you could splash out on prawns for 35p!

Our younger daughter went to Uni there in the 2000s and I tried to find the place again. All demolished, so had to go elsewhere for a curry and naan for a fiver.

How can you make a curry without turmeric, cardamon, star anise, cassiah bark, garlic and ginger etc?

You missed out most of the best ingredients not least the fresh coriander leaves.

I made a curry this evening, and I put banana in it. :D

Edited by 39TDS

9 hours ago, amateur said:

25p would buy you a mutton curry and a couple of chapattis on a plate, no cutlery, just a sink in the corner to wash your hands before you ate. If you were feeling flush you could splash out on prawns for 35p!

Would that be the place down near the Alhambra?  If it was we used it for lunches whilst working on the Alhambra refurb.

1 hour ago, Yellow Bear said:

Would that be the place down near the Alhambra?  If it was we used it for lunches whilst working on the Alhambra refurb.

No, the 25p bargain place was further up Great Horton Road, beyond the main campus in one of the little streets to the left.

The one that you may be remembering, and that our daughter favoured, was Omar's, not far from the Alhambra where they did naans the size of dustbin lids.

The best quality curry house that I ate at in Bradford was at the Emm Lane, Frizinghall Road, Keighley Road junction, just down from the Management Centre and called, I think, the Bengal Brasserie where they did a range of different curries, including quail (but not for 25p!), so that was for when the grant money came in.

Edited by amateur
Spelling

many years ago i was running a big construction site at Pleck just off spag junctiion...........twice a week we used to walk off site into the back streets where they sold indian food fresh cooked out of their front rooms.....used go in their house and there would be a small bay marie with food in foil containers...........used to take it back eat it and spend the rest of the day with your feet up on you desk fast asleep...............beautiful food...better than any indian take-a-way stuff ive tasted..

2 hours ago, amateur said:

The one that you may be remembering, and that our daughter favoured, was Omar's, not far from the Alhambra where they did naans the size of dustbin lids.

Don't think so. this was mid 80's (IIRC 86/7) like a little greasy spoon, you came in were asked meat or veg and were handed a bowl of curry, a small one of rice, half a naan, and a spoon all for 75p. Seating was long benches.  Always cracking curry tho'.