Best - grind to fit Shotgun Recoil Pad ?

Shotkam

When the game shooting season arrives I shoot a 20 guage Browning OU game gun. 

Others may disagree, but where I shoot there a lot of high birds and consequently I use 32g Black Gold. They pattern well in the gun and give me consistent results and I will never change until legislation kicks in.

The gun has an oil finished stock and the current 20mm recoil pad has virtually no give and for obvious reasons I am looking for an improvement.

Many of you will have tried and tested all the branded recoil pads and reached a conclusion of what works,  i.e.   Doesn't hang up in your clothing and absorbs the recoil successfully.

The prices seem to vary widely from brand to brand, however it may be reasonable to expect that you get what you pay for generally, as with most things.

I am after a grind to fit recoil pad and if anyone would kindly give me their recommendation, that would be great.

Edited by Shotkam

A genuine (or at least the modern owned company that now holds the name) Silvers recoil pad without the "nib". The "nib" serves only to add expense and bother to the fitting of it to the gun. These usually don't require to be slicked as with other pads. Red, or orange, it's your choice. But if you do want to slick a pad use my recipe. A 50/50 by volume mix of French polish or shellac with boiled linseed oil. Shake and apply thinly with a fingertip. The oil keeps the varnish fluid enough to get it rubbed on longer than if the pure varnish alone was used. A little goes a very long way and I've found after the first time it isn't really ever much needed ever again.

Edited by enfieldspares

Mmm. That's an interesting reply. Certainly they reduce the felt recoil in comparison to an all wood stock or one with a horn or plastic buttplate. But you may have a point that it may not be reduced to the level the OP seeks to attain. Having said that as I'm sure you'll agree stock fit...proper stock fit...is the best first step to reducing recoil. After that then by all means trim the end of the butt down and replace what's gone with a pad back up to that "best fit" length.

41 minutes ago, enfieldspares said:

Mmm. That's an interesting reply. Certainly they reduce the felt recoil in comparison to an all wood stock or one with a horn or plastic buttplate. But you may have a point that it may not be reduced to the level the OP seeks to attain. Having said that as I'm sure you'll agree stock fit...proper stock fit...is the best first step to reducing recoil. After that then by all means trim the end of the butt down and replace what's gone with a pad back up to that "best fit" length.

The butt will need no trimming and its too good a gun to do that to.

I am hoping anything I get will be black or dark brown. 

Someone recommended Iroup but the cost seems just too low for that brand to be great?

The present is 100% solid so anything will be an improvement. The recoil can certainly be tolerated, but on the red letter days a reduction in recoil would be great.

You will have been on organised Sim days and even with 21g a reduction in recoil cycling that many shots through the gun any recoil reduction can only be a good thing.

11 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

The ISIS green pad comes with a 'complimentary' permanent marker which takes it to black as required.

👍

Thanks.

Black marker - excellent.

proper stock fit...is the best first step to reducing recoil - Agreed !  The stock is a good fit.

There a lot of brands out there Kickeaze, Limbsaver, Pachmayr etc etc. bit of a minefield. 

I have not heard of your recc. before -  but that is not putting me off as recommendation is generally everything and the man that developed it has all the correct credentials.

Edited by Shotkam

9 hours ago, Wylye said:

Kickeez every time. They are easily shaped and smoothed down to make a perfect butt pad. 

This is not an appropriate pad for a Browning . It should be in keeping and sympathetic to the original . I certainly wouldn't fit one on mine and have taken them off Browning's I have sold .But it a free Country so the choice is yours .

9 hours ago, Gunman said:

This is not an appropriate pad for a Browning . It should be in keeping and sympathetic to the original . I certainly wouldn't fit one on mine and have taken them off Browning's I have sold .But it a free Country so the choice is yours .

Do you rate the Isis green pad - when blacked is seems from what others have said it is a very effective and durable recoil pad.

I would not say that pain follows firing the gun, but using 32g Black Gold on a good day a quality recoil pad would make a huge difference.

37 minutes ago, welshwarrior said:

Isis are the best for recoil reduction not the prettiest but when blacked look ok you can’t have everything

I cant decide if concave or convex is the best for me.

I emailed them and they were super quick replying which is usually a good sign.

Having looked around and listened to everyone's recommendations I think I need to be paying around the £ 40 - 45 for a decent grind to fit recoil pad.

I cant decide if concave or convex is the best for me. Anyone got a view on this? Some say concave the toe of the butt can snag on clothing.

Its most likely going to be the Its Isis green pad or the Pachmeyer - still not 100% sure.

5 hours ago, Krico woodcock said:

Isis green pad or kickeez. Both very good, lots of configurations and easy to grind/fit. Although the kickeeze do add a little extra weight to stock. 

The kickeez pads are pretty heavy, I've just put a 24mm on my beretta with a pitch spacer and in total it weighs 200 grams, the equivalent length beretta micropore pad weighs just 80 grams.

9 hours ago, Johnny English said:

The kickeez pads are pretty heavy, I've just put a 24mm on my beretta with a pitch spacer and in total it weighs 200 grams, the equivalent length beretta micropore pad weighs just 80 grams.

Yes I have heard people speak about the weight issue.

Its most likely going to be the Its Isis green pad or the Pachmeyer - still not 100% sure.

I have had little feedback on the Pachmeyer whereas several people on here have given the thumbs up to the Green Pad.

On 28/04/2021 at 15:49, Wylye said:

The OP was asking which was the best grind to fit pad - not the most appropriate one. A vulcanite plate with 'Browning' embossed on it is the most appropriate one. If its hurting you check the gun fit, the choice is yours also.

From past experience Pachmayer pads are some of the best when compared to others and I have fitted a lot of pads  over the years of all different types /