Best - grind to fit Shotgun Recoil Pad ?

Shotkam

21 hours ago, Shotkam said:

I cant decide if concave or convex is the best for me. Anyone got a view on this? Some say concave the toe of the butt can snag on clothing.

Isis are mildly concave but it depends on your physique. I found that the standard concave CG pad would leave a little red nip mark on my chest where the toe sat. But after I got back into shape 18 months ago, it completely stopped happening, so your pecs definitely make a difference. In my experience snagging is due to other factors than concave profile. If the pad isn't slick enough it will catch on clothing whatever profile it has.

Edited by Westward

4 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

Pachmayer are easier to fit but ISIS are better at recoil reduction lighter.  

ISIS is sort of like next gen technology compared to old school Kickeez and Pachmayer.  

I’ve replaced my Pachmayer and Kickeez with ISIS now shoot 32g 6 or 5s most of the time on game/pigeons etc. 

Next gen technology - I think you may have hit the nail on the head with that observation - thanks.

I will go for the Isis green and report back when fitted and field tested.

I'll post a couple of images for those interested.

Thanks for all your comments those who posted. 😀

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
On 31/08/2023 at 10:08, martinj said:

I'd be interested to hear how you got on

But I bought one anyway 😉

I bought the Isis Xpad, I spent an hour or so fitting it, using a sander in my garage. I have been trying it out before adding the finishing touches and the results have been good. I was getting shoulder pain after shooting but now it's much better with the Xpad so it will be a permanent fixture.

Edited by martinj

1 hour ago, martinj said:

But I bought one anyway 😉

I bought the Isis Xpad, I spent an hour or so fitting it, using a sander in my garage. I have been trying it out before adding the finishing touches and the results have been good. I was getting shoulder pain after shooting but now it's much better with the Xpad so it will be a permanent fixture.

Having tried several other pads on my latest 12 bore acquisition, and knowing how good the Isis pads are, I bit the bullet and bought one. As I did not want to cut the woodwork on the gun, I was restricted to using the 15mm pad. I had tried various other pads by Browning,  Beretta and Kick-eeze, but I was still feeling recoil. I fitted the 15mm Isis pad and an Isis comb raiser. The results are incredible, no gun 'bounce' between shots, even with the most severe recoiling cartridges, the gun is a pleasure to shoot. I do have a thicker Isis padon another stock and that gun is a joy to shoot too.

3 hours ago, Westley said:

Having tried several other pads on my latest 12 bore acquisition, and knowing how good the Isis pads are, I bit the bullet and bought one. As I did not want to cut the woodwork on the gun, I was restricted to using the 15mm pad. I had tried various other pads by Browning,  Beretta and Kick-eeze, but I was still feeling recoil. I fitted the 15mm Isis pad and an Isis comb raiser. The results are incredible, no gun 'bounce' between shots, even with the most severe recoiling cartridges, the gun is a pleasure to shoot. I do have a thicker Isis padon another stock and that gun is a joy to shoot too.

Mine's the thicker one I think, and it feels just fine, no shoulder problems so far. I put it on the gun nearly finished for testing, I plan to remove the 5mm spacer as this feels longer than my previous setup. Isis sent a "special" marker pen with instructions for blackening the foam - I might do this and polish the remaining 5mm plastic plate

👍

image.png.fabac5e2e7a380e61ed58ecae1f92c21.png

That is the same thickness of the pad on my Trap stock,  the Sporting being half of that. I have never ground the Trap pad down to fit, just in case I come to sell it. The thinner one is ground to fit and blacked with the permanent marker pen.