Steel shot birds and still no joy

JBS

So last year I started shooting with steel so that the dead birds were easier to dispose of via what seemed abundant outlets, to my horror I still don’t seem to be able to empty my freezer! 
Has anyone got any ideas for disposing of steel shot birds more easily? I am Leicestershire Northamptonshire and Warwickshire borders if that helps!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

41 minutes ago, scarecrow243 said:

try the uk falconry forum 

I’ve tried in Facebook, apparently due to avian flu they are reluctant to use pigeons for food at the minute and as a result the big boys that supply them won’t take them either as they are full!

10 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

There’s a Facebook group, giving up the game. 

Put them up for people to collect and eat.

Better than going to waste. 

I’ve given away lots on giving up the game, I really wanted to try and recoup some of the outlay for steel as it’s soooo expensive!! 

25 minutes ago, Scully said:

This. 
I thought steel was supposed to be cheaper than lead? 

Well it can be but for similar performance it’s more expensive and if you want eco wads it goes silly! 
The difference is that generally you can get something back for steel shot where as round here I don’t know of anyone that will take lead shot at all anymore 

54 minutes ago, JBS said:

Well it can be but for similar performance it’s more expensive and if you want eco wads it goes silly! 
The difference is that generally you can get something back for steel shot where as round here I don’t know of anyone that will take lead shot at all anymore 

Ah well. So much for an ‘effective, affordable alternative’ then. 🙂

If you can’t sell them or give them away, then as Lloyd90, suggests, I’d just use lead. 

2 hours ago, JBS said:

As a matter of interest, what steel cartridges are you using and are you happy using it? Do you find it as effective as lead on sub 45 yard pigeons. Thanks

6 hours ago, JBS said:

So last year I started shooting with steel so that the dead birds were easier to dispose of via what seemed abundant outlets, to my horror I still don’t seem to be able to empty my freezer! 
Has anyone got any ideas for disposing of steel shot birds more easily? I am Leicestershire Northamptonshire and Warwickshire borders if that helps!!

Have you tried your local Zoo/s?

Breast them out, mince them up with 50% pork shoulder or belly and turn into burgers and sausages. Leak and chive mix goes well and the burgers are great with simple but spicy mixes or whatever your prefer. You'll soon go through them. Take up little room compared to whole birds and aren't that much effort to do . Less than 2 mins a bird to breast out and I'm pretty slow and normally fighting the cat and dog to keep them away. 

Spicy meat balls with the same pork to pigeon ratio is very good as well, cooked long and slow. 

Moroccan pigeon pie is also good. Again, easy to make and taste great. They are meant to be quite small but I make a big one as that's how big the pie dish is. 

If mincing then use a course grade  and make sure the meat is ice cold or almost frozen. 

I don't give away any birds these days but have found people asking for the burgers/sausages quite regularly. In fact there's a waiting list currently. 

I tend to make 15-20lbs batches of each when I have enough and store the burger meat as a 1lb bag so I know I've got 4 decent sized burger in each one. I have about twice that amount to do before bbq season.  They go well in fajitas and also stir fry. we really should eat more of it and it's good for you. 

4 hours ago, Krico woodcock said:

As a matter of interest, what steel cartridges are you using and are you happy using it? Do you find it as effective as lead on sub 45 yard pigeons. Thanks

I’d been using super steel in 4s which is a good shell, last time I couldn’t get them I used lyalvale precision steel, very very good shell again in 4s and I tried a few 3s which knocked down some unbelievable birds 

also tried the eley vip in eco wad 5s nice soft shell and the fives are surprisingly good on the decoyed birds, have really shot enough to really judge them.

as far as comparison to lead I really don’t see any difference once you stop blaming any misses and winged birds on the cartridges! My average has actually been better since using steel 

4 hours ago, old'un said:

Have you tried your local Zoo/s?

No but thanks I’ll see what’s local 

3 hours ago, GingerCat said:

Breast them out, mince them up with 50% pork shoulder or belly and turn into burgers and sausages. Leak and chive mix goes well and the burgers are great with simple but spicy mixes or whatever your prefer. You'll soon go through them. Take up little room compared to whole birds and aren't that much effort to do . Less than 2 mins a bird to breast out and I'm pretty slow and normally fighting the cat and dog to keep them away. 

Spicy meat balls with the same pork to pigeon ratio is very good as well, cooked long and slow. 

Moroccan pigeon pie is also good. Again, easy to make and taste great. They are meant to be quite small but I make a big one as that's how big the pie dish is. 

If mincing then use a course grade  and make sure the meat is ice cold or almost frozen. 

I don't give away any birds these days but have found people asking for the burgers/sausages quite regularly. In fact there's a waiting list currently. 

I tend to make 15-20lbs batches of each when I have enough and store the burger meat as a 1lb bag so I know I've got 4 decent sized burger in each one. I have about twice that amount to do before bbq season.  They go well in fajitas and also stir fry. we really should eat more of it and it's good for you. 

I do eat them but I have a business to run and three young kids, with other hobbies I just don’t have time at the moment 

2 hours ago, Lord v said:

Try reptile owners groups on FB. A steel shot pigeon makes a good meal for the larger boas and pythons. 

Great shout thanks 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 28/04/2021 at 11:51, JBS said:

Eat them?

Donate them to country food trust

Give them to your neighbours/ family ?

18 minutes ago, scolopax said:

If you cannot get rid of them for human consumption stop shooting them (in numbers).  That’s what stopped me.

Not criticizing your choice, but it does make me wonder why some people will not shoot pigeons if they have no outlet for them but are quite happy to kill and dump black?

2 minutes ago, old'un said:

Not criticizing your choice, but it does make me wonder why some people will not shoot pigeons if they have no outlet for them but are quite happy to kill and dump black?

Blacks as you call them, I prefer corvids or carrion crows, rooks etc, are not regarded as ‘table’ birds.  It is as simple as that for me. Not that I shoot large bags of Corvids, or wish to.

14 minutes ago, scolopax said:

Blacks as you call them, I prefer corvids or carrion crows, rooks etc, are not regarded as ‘table’ birds.  It is as simple as that for me. Not that I shoot large bags of Corvids, or wish to.

pigeons are no different than blacks hitting a patch of laid corn, they are both agricultural pests.