Steel shot birds and still no joy

JBS

35 minutes ago, holloway said:

So if you had a full choke in what would you consider a reasonable shotgun range ?

Depends on your cartridges i've shot 60 yard pheasant on a 1:5 ratio with 36g #4.5 lead shot with Full and 3/4 choke i think i'd struggle to do that with steel. But what is the eqivilant steel load, i wouldn't be confident. i think i'd have more conifdence in a 32g  #4.5 20 bore load than a 12 bore steel load. For me it's all about energy and fps. steel just doesn't seem to have that.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38 minutes ago, 8 shot said:

Depends on your cartridges i've shot 60 yard pheasant on a 1:5 ratio with 36g #4.5 lead shot with Full and 3/4 choke i think i'd struggle to do that with steel. But what is the eqivilant steel load, i wouldn't be confident. i think i'd have more conifdence in a 32g  #4.5 20 bore load than a 12 bore steel load. For me it's all about energy and fps. steel just doesn't seem to have that.

At 1500ft/sec at the muzzle your 4&1/2 shot is just on the limit at the 60 yards, but according to BASC your 3/4 pattern failed at a little over 45 yards and the Full at a shade under the 50. Could this account towards the 1:5?

Given that steel patterns tighter than lead ( half in lead being the equivalent of full in steel ?) I’m wondering why anyone wants to shoot HP steel through full? 
Not that they shouldn’t of course, I’ve put HP steel 3’s through a fixed 3/4 choke in a none steel proofed Browning 2000, and results were impressive if a tad ‘thumpy’!🙂

I just wondered what they were gaining? 

28 minutes ago, wymberley said:

At 1500ft/sec at the muzzle your 4&1/2 shot is just on the limit at the 60 yards, but according to BASC your 3/4 pattern failed at a little over 45 yards and the Full at a shade under the 50. Could this account towards the 1:5?

All theoretical i'd have thought,by that then steel would fail way before that, which would explain a max limit of 40 to 45 yards