The Woodland

loriusgarrulus

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

57 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, looks like the place to be what ever the weather , 👍

It just cleared again and bright and sunny. Had another trip round the wood and filled a rabbit hole in with some rubble. Over 3 acres to dig in and they decided to dig right in the middle of my favourite path. 😡

13 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

It just cleared again and bright and sunny. Had another trip round the wood and filled a rabbit hole in with some rubble. Over 3 acres to dig in and they decided to dig right in the middle of my favourite path. 😡

Hello, what cheeky rabbits 🤔😁, enjoy the rest of your day👍

39 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

That should have been a job for the air rifle 😊

Got a stump out that was a trip hazard in the middle of the path. I cut the top off last time as it was about 18" high and cut some of the exposed roots. Got the handy mattock on it intending to get the soil away from around it so I could get the chainsaw in. Once I started to remove all the soil it moved, so I dug it out bit more and managed to get it all out with the mattock. 
Its a handy tool that I inherited from my Dad. Its smaller than the normal size mattock and has 2 different heads.

20210729_123454.jpg

20210729_124400.jpg

20210729_124853.jpg

image.gif

There was a deep dip between the two trees and to the right of the tree. We filled the dip between the trees two years ago as it was on the path. As I had brought 12 bags of rubble with me this time and only used 8, the other 4 nicely filled the dip on the right. Topped it off with soil and moss it will soon blend in. 

20210729_105621.jpg

• 2 months later...

Went to the wood last weekend. My Nephew Jimmy came with me. He put me some rails up on the steps and went round chopping any dangerous trees down and logged and split up a lot of windfalls. The log store is full so a 2nd log store needs building. I found a coral fungus which I hadn't seen before in the wood. Very vivid orange colouring. I painted the ibc and did some maintenance jobs.

Biggest job I had was feeding Jimmy. I reckon he has hollow legs. Oh to be 21 again. 

20211009_143145.jpg

20211009_142233.jpg

6 hours ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Went to the wood last weekend. My Nephew Jimmy came with me. He put me some rails up on the steps and went round chopping any dangerous trees down and logged and split up a lot of windfalls. The log store is full so a 2nd log store needs building. I found a coral fungus which I hadn't seen before in the wood. Very vivid orange colouring. I painted the ibc and did some maintenance jobs.

Biggest job I had was feeding Jimmy. I reckon he has hollow legs. Oh to be 21 again. 

20211009_143145.jpg

20211009_142233.jpg

look nice stirred into some pasta...........then curl up and die after watching the entire contents of the world fall out of your bottom 

• 8 months later...

Went down the wood a few weeks ago. There is a tree down over a path. Walking round it at the moment as its hung up and rather big.

Got a problem as the caravan fridge would light fine, but after overnight it was still not cooling. Fortunatley I didn't take a lot of perishables with me. I set the zeer pot terracotta fridges up and topped the sand up outside and managed for 4 days. I have read up problems on Electrolux 212 and have a few clues as what the problem might be. I measured the fridge before I left as I remembered Andrew had bought a similiar fridge from a caravan breakers when he was going to convert his van to a camper. The fridge got stashed away as the conversion didnt happen. I dragged it out and cleaned it and downloaded the manual. Fortunatley it was made when owners could do maintenance easily and its the same size as the one in the wood. 🙂

Took the top off the flue and cleaned a load of cobwebs and fluff out of the T piece and cleaned the flu out. Took the cover off at the bottom and unscrewed the connection to the jet. Gave it a clean with some 100% isopropyl alcohol. While it was all open I cleaned the glass window for the burner from the outside so I can see if it ignites properly once its all back together. Tried the ignition while it was undone and the piezo works fine and sparks well. It was only lightly rusted in parts on the back tubes, most of the paint was intact so I gave it a coat of hammerite.
I connected it to a butane cylinder and checked the gas connections with washing up liquid. It got to -10°C and 6°C in the freezer compartment and fridge area. Then I put a plug on it and put it on mains on max setting. It went to -20°C and -2°C so it all works fine. Didn't bother with the 12v as it would soon flatten a battery. This one is in better condition than the wood one so next time I go down  I will swap them over and bring the other one back to see if that needs inverting to mix the coolant or a flu and jet clean or scrapping.  Fortunatley its fairly lightweight too at around 12kg. Lighter than a 3 way coolbox at 16kg which was another possible option, but this working has saved me £240 on buying a 3 way coolbox, which would have had to sit outside because of venting it.

While I was down the wood we had a really warm day so I got the top and front off the Carver gas fire which was cream paint and rusty. Gave it a clean and sprayed it with red high heat paint spray I took with me for this job. While the covers were off I cleaned a ton of fluff out of the works. The fire works better now it has a decent airflow minus the fluff. It is just as well the gas flame on the fire is isolated from the heater bit the amount of fluff that was in there. Found a nice tree stump with more fungus on. 

20220417_172405.jpg

20220417_143333.jpg

20220417_143407.jpg

download (19).jpeg

download (18).jpeg

20220420_181832.jpg

20220420_180514.jpg

20220420_182020.jpg

Edited by loriusgarrulus

Owning even a small wood the work never ends. I commend your efforts.  I have a little orange friend who helps me he is called Kubota.  If it needs shifting lifting digging or pulling he will do the job.  My little 10 acre plot is not as ancient as yours, planted 27yrs ago but I do have one or two ancient trees one oak around 200yrs old.    Like Mel we are lucky to have the pleasure of having a wood to enjoy.

Andrew bought a rhino mini digger and had used it for 9hrs only. Unfortunatly some of the attachments are too heavy for me to lift and attach even if I had lessons on how to use it, so it will be sold eventually along with its trailer and a tracked powerbarrow which is too strong for me.☹

22 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Owning even a small wood the work never ends. I commend your efforts.  I have a little orange friend who helps me he is called Kubota.  If it needs shifting lifting digging or pulling he will do the job.  My little 10 acre plot is not as ancient as yours, planted 27yrs ago but I do have one or two ancient trees one oak around 200yrs old.    Like Mel we are lucky to have the pleasure of having a wood to enjoy.

You've been hard at it again Yvonne. Like nev said , the jobs are never ending.

I envy your mini digger . When I win the lottery , I won't be buying a rolls Royce or ferrari , I'll be buying a mini digger 😁.

Let me know if you need that tree sorting , and I'll pop over and take care of it for you.

5 hours ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Andrew bought a rhino mini digger and had used it for 9hrs only. Unfortunatly some of the attachments are too heavy for me to lift and attach even if I had lessons on how to use it, so it will be sold eventually along with its trailer and a tracked powerbarrow which is too strong for me.☹

I purchased a Kubota 7001 tractor ...oohhhh???? 15 years ago and was lucky to find a front end loader and bucket for it. Had it all fitted and also a set of forks to which I made a slip on box for carrying garden waste, fencing tools etc.  I made a three point automatic lift for a box on the back as well. Best money I have ever spent.  This little friend was bult in 1977 and is a an import, runs like a Swiss watch. I have just shifted and levelled probably 40 tons of soil with the front bucket.

My wood was planted under the FWG Scheme and initially poplars but all sorts have now taken root but the young ash is being decimated by the die back disease.  Old Man made a visit recently and said, " you are so lucky" and we know we are.

3 hours ago, mel b3 said:

You've been hard at it again Yvonne. Like nev said , the jobs are never ending.

I envy your mini digger . When I win the lottery , I won't be buying a rolls Royce or ferrari , I'll be buying a mini digger 😁.

Let me know if you need that tree sorting , and I'll pop over and take care of it for you.

TA. Will let you know. 😁