The Woodland

loriusgarrulus

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Thankyou. Andrew bought the truck in October. I have decided to keep the truck and sell my Defender Wolf with its Sankey trailer as the Isuzu ticks more boxes and I cant drive both.

image.png.85656ff6b57a8adac85fbdc56be339d7.png

That's a fantastic looking piece of kit Yvonne 👍

15 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Thankyou. Andrew bought the truck in October. I have decided to keep the truck and sell my Defender Wolf with its Sankey trailer as the Isuzu ticks more boxes and I cant drive both.

image.png.85656ff6b57a8adac85fbdc56be339d7.png

Looks good, Im sure you will get a decent price for it

33 minutes ago, old'un said:

go on mel, you know you want it. :yes:

You're joking . I'm just a poor binman , and couldn't afford to keep up with the oil leaks😊

32 minutes ago, ditchman said:

dont bloody drag me into it both of you....Bbbbaaaaahhhhhhh

Yeah yeah you old gingermeister you 😅

There are some stumps on the paths and one by the caravan that are trip hazards. The Alligator jaws aren't wide enough to get round them. I am going to need a normal style chainsaw to clear them once I have chopped the soil away with my lightweight pick axe and root spade. I got the Stihl 039 out the shed at home, but its too heavy and I could feel it pull my back as I lifted it and its too big for me too use.
I had thought about a small petrol chainsaw. I emailed some friends who are arborists and run a firewood business for advice.
For the bit I wanted to do he recomended a lithium chainsaw. It only weighs 3.2kg with battery. The chainsaw trousers and gloves fit me and I ordered some chainsaw boots to go with them as the blade on this one is not enclosed.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

25 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, must be nice having your own wood of what ever size, I missed out on a nice stretch of trout river years ago, such is life, thanks for  posting LG 👍

even nicer having a friend like mel that you know that you can rely on if ever in trouble

2 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Morning Yvonne.  Don't forget that I can pop over and give you a hand if you're struggling with anything 👍

Good lad Mel

2 hours ago, loriusgarrulus said:

There are some stumps on the paths and one by the caravan that are trip hazards.

I'd say put something bigger over them, that way you'll walk around and not be tempted to step over.

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, must be nice having your own wood of what ever size, I missed out on a nice stretch of trout river years ago, such is life, thanks for  posting LG 👍

a piece of woodland with either , a fishable stretch of river , or , its own fishing pool , is my next purchase . ive been looking for a while now , but nothing suitable has turned up yet.

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

he likes ginger nuts

theyre all tickley on your tongue :P

1 hour ago, dodgy dave said:

even nicer having a friend like mel that you know that you can rely on if ever in trouble

you misunderstood dave . i just go to eat the biscuits , i take my big bruiser of a wife along to dig post holes and use the chainsaw :lol:.

43 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

a piece of woodland with either , a fishable stretch of river , or , its own fishing pool , is my next purchase . ive been looking for a while now , but nothing suitable has turned up yet.

theyre all tickley on your tongue 

you misunderstood dave . i just go to eat the biscuits , i take my big bruiser of a wife along to dig post holes and use the chainsaw .

There one going for sale near Burton -on Trent, about 65 acres of grass meadows and about a mile of river bank on the Trent, a snip at £200k.

2 minutes ago, old'un said:

There one going for sale near Burton -on Trent, about 65 acres of grass meadows and about a mile of river bank on the Trent, a snip at £200k.

cough splutter , thats in the not suitable category as its double my budget :lol:

13 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

cough splutter , thats in the not suitable category as its double my budget 

You'll just have to start emptying more bins and get Lin on overtime making more leather goods :)…….or perhaps a joint venture with a couple of like minded mates.

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

theyre all tickley on your tongue :P

you misunderstood dave . i just go to eat the biscuits , i take my big bruiser of a wife along to dig post holes and use the chainsaw :lol:.

Hello, what's the water table like Mel in your wood, any suitable streams ?, 

The real trick in a wood is being able to sit still unobserved.  I have four purpose built cabins in my tiny ten acres but I also have hides built in woods on farms where i shoot and also just sitting still in the Land Rover will often bring memories you will never forget ... example the wren sitting on the peak of my cap, reported elsewhere on this forum.

Patience is a virtue in these circumstances.

2 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

The real trick in a wood is being able to sit still unobserved.  I have four purpose built cabins in my tiny ten acres but I also have hides built in woods on farms where i shoot and also just sitting still in the Land Rover will often bring memories you will never forget ... example the wren sitting on the peak of my cap, reported elsewhere on this forum.

I was once sitting still in my Land Rover waiting for a fox to emerge on some freshly cut silage. A Fallow doe appeared, walked slowly up to the vehicle and stared at me through the passenger side window.

39 minutes ago, old'un said:

You'll just have to start emptying more bins and get Lin on overtime making more leather goods :)…….or perhaps a joint venture with a couple of like minded mates.

something suitable will come up , its just a matter of waiting until the right one comes along. the first piece of woodland that i thought about buying would have been perfect . the problem is that i thought about it for too long , and it sold within a couple of days.

2 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, something for stocking trout would be ideal then I could show you how to fly fish, payment is lashings of coffee and some of Lin's home made fruit cake, 👏

21 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, what's the water table like Mel in your wood, any suitable streams ?, 

a small piece of woodland , with a nice little 1 acre trout pool came up for sale recently(at a very reasonable price) . the only problem was that it was just down the road from a large housing estate . youd need to be there 24/7 or the fish stocks would just get plundered.

we have a small fast flowing stream on our woodland , the problem is that the land is the side of a mountain , and would be way too steep to build a decent sized pool. i believe that most of the local streams hold very small trout.

11 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

some of my best shooting memories are due to me just sitting still and doing nothing :good: