Tips on knife sharpening-Lansky

ashtons99

I bought myself a Lansky system recently, the deluxe system with 5 stones. I found it quite easy to use down to getting an acceptable edge but I feel it’s just not quite there. I have a new Spyderco knife which will slice through a hanging sheet of paper effortlessly, when I compare this to the edges I have achieved I think I have a bit further to go. 
im sure knife sharpening will be a skill improved with time and practice  like other such things but is there any way of giving myself an edge (pardon the pun)

Do I need to look towards a diamond addition to the set, a strop or just preserve with what I’ve got. 

Any insight would be welcome 

1 hour ago, ashtons99 said:

I bought myself a Lansky system recently, the deluxe system with 5 stones. I found it quite easy to use down to getting an acceptable edge but I feel it’s just not quite there. I have a new Spyderco knife which will slice through a hanging sheet of paper effortlessly, when I compare this to the edges I have achieved I think I have a bit further to go. 
im sure knife sharpening will be a skill improved with time and practice  like other such things but is there any way of giving myself an edge (pardon the pun)

Do I need to look towards a diamond addition to the set, a strop or just preserve with what I’ve got. 

Any insight would be welcome 

Following this as I have same issue

• 2 weeks later...

My advise sell it and buy yourself a good coarse medium and fine diamond hone set 

i have a complete lansky 6 stone set in the case in the shed i paid a lot of money for the thing at the time when i bought it I wasn't a fan 

I could never get that ,"razor edge" on a blade as the advertising claimed it could 

the magic bullet in sharpening systems it was not in my humble opinion anyway

i know how to use a sharpening stone but i just couldnt get on with the lansky system 

a good set of diamond hones are the way and if your sharpening knives for butchery then a good diamond grit sharpening steel is essential

Edited by hafod

1 hour ago, hafod said:

My advise sell it and buy yourself a good coarse medium and fine diamond hone set 

i have a complete lansky 6 stone set in the case in the shed i paid a lot of money for the thing at the time when i bought it I wasn't a fan 

I could never get that ,"razor edge" on a blade as the advertising claimed it could 

the magic bullet in sharpening systems it was not in my humble opinion anyway

i know how to use a sharpening stone but i just couldnt get on with the lansky system 

a good set of diamond hones are the way and if your sharpening knives for butchery then a good diamond grit sharpening steel is essential

i agree.............good quality diamond hones are the way to go.............i dont like a super fine razor edge...i like a slightly ragged edge it cuts better