Head gasket

wigeon jim

ok this is a get around     on your rad cap there is a little metal disc that seals against the rubber washer  get a small piece of a match or toothpick and place underneath to keep the metal disc off the rubber   this will allow any gasses to escape into the top up bottle       over heating is usually caused by an air lock from gasses  this should  cure the problem for now   if in doubt pm your number 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 29/05/2021 at 22:40, wigeon jim said:

The garage done exactly that but said it didn't help, what I can't get my head around is why there's no problem for days then it will overheat again with no water loss,

To rule head gasket out really best bet is do a chemical test we call them a “sniff test” the chemical in the tester is blue and if any combustion gases are found in the radiator it goes yellow. Maybe a possible intermittent thermostat fault if it passes a sniff test 

On 31/05/2021 at 15:38, db135 said:

To rule head gasket out really best bet is do a chemical test we call them a “sniff test” the chemical in the tester is blue and if any combustion gases are found in the radiator it goes yellow. Maybe a possible intermittent thermostat fault if it passes a sniff test 

Can any garage do a chemical test?

1 hour ago, wigeon jim said:

As long as they have the test kit 👍 there easy to get hold off I’ve even seen them on eBay 

1 minute ago, db135 said:

As long as they have the test kit 👍 there easy to get hold off I’ve even seen them on eBay 

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/euro-car-parts-combustion-leak-detector-set-542770800?type=shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjw2NyFBhDoARIsAMtHtZ4mJWzazSUBjESVD_UfLdLqdFdAZxWCCIGX5IqnQwlQRKrDUOS3PlYaAmk7EALw_wcB

1 minute ago, db135 said:

That’s them euro sell them also

On 02/06/2021 at 20:16, hodge911 said:

Ah but do u use feeler gauges or a dwell meter ?.

Change points and condenser set with dwell meter & check timing with strobe .... ah those were the days !

dont forget static timing   set to timing mark and a bulb flickering       those were the days   

On 02/06/2021 at 20:40, wigeon jim said:

jim in a previous post i  gave you a link to a kit  on e bay     diy kit   it comes with full instructions  if you need help  get in touch more than happy to help

Edited by Saltings