BASC Subscriptions; - multiple memberships

nic

Hello,

Regardless of your views on BASC itself,  I was wondering what people think of the changes to how BASC will be dealing with multiple memberships?

BASC have upgraded/modernised their membership management computer programme which will allow clubs to register an 'interest' in a member and will then be informed if a person has membership from another club/personal membership and it expires.  

As per now, there is a 3 month grace period after end of membership where the insurance can still cover you.

Currently I have joint membership with the better half, who also shoots.  2 fowling clubs and a syndicate.  I pay all 4 and then at various points the clubs pay BASC and I then get the money back from 3.

Personally I think its a step forward for the member.  It will require a change to club/syndicate subs in that people would have to tick whether to get BASC through the club or not.... not insurmountable, differing membership options already Full, new, junior etc.

Had a letter today saying full roll out has been delayed due to some clubs having issues with it.

I think it's a good idea, save me paying for 2 lots and then counting on them giving one lot back.

In reality, it just means the club secs have to do a little bit more admin, and BASC have to do a lot less admin sorting this type of thing out. Although that's fair enough I suppose. 

From a members point of view it’s good.

however from the club admin side of things it seems a lot more work.  As it stands we know that all members have a full years insurance as we enrol them with basc.  Under the new system there would be multiple membership categories to offer members which requires more work and admin.  Also how do we police members insurance?  If a member joins and says he has insurance through another club we can check it via basc but if it only has say 6 months left on it how do we remember to check the guy is still insured in 6 months time, a lot of hassle, admin and possibly un insured members???

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

I think it's a good idea, save me paying for 2 lots and then counting on them giving one lot back.

In reality, it just means the club secs have to do a little bit more admin, and BASC have to do a lot less admin sorting this type of thing out. Although that's fair enough I suppose. 

I presume that you will be volunteering onto a committee of the club then as you think giving volunteers even more work is fine..............:-) 

Edited by nic

2 hours ago, nic said:

I presume that you will be volunteering onto a committee of the club then as you think giving volunteers even more work is fine..............:-) 

Clubs should recognise the commitment and give people doing significant amounts of work reduced membership costs to account for the time commitment they give to the club. 

That’s what the 12 bore club does. 

Often people who give up their time are those that are retired or have the time to do it.

It is without doubt a big commitment at times and without the work and efforts of those volunteers most clubs would be absolutely ****. 

Simply having regular members willing to take new members out is a major benefit to any club and a total game changer for the experience of new members. 

And yes Nic... I do mean you (and others like you) lol. 

Obviously anything that adds to the workload of volunteers will be unfavourable to clubs, but I imagine BASC have to do a fair number of these refunds and it’s a significant task. 

The ideal outcome is for BASC to come up with a system that makes it very easy for members to renew to various clubs affiliated to BASC. Which reduces the admin for everyone involved.