Name that pellet!

Cog Head

I agree, there aren’t really any rifling marks on it at all. What air weapons have a smooth bore? Air pistols?

I can’t say I’ve ever seen or shot a pellet like that before, it seems to be an old pellet or cheap pellet.

thanks so much for the info, keep it coming, we really appreciate it.

3 minutes ago, ditchman said:

I take it the air rifle will be removed from the persons rear end by the NHS...........

This will the appetiser before the main course... you can’t pull a trigger if you don’t have any fingers... just saying 

Pooch is ok by the way, we have a large field out the front of our house which is surrounded by a lot of houses, So I let her roam when I’m outside (she only poops in our garden) 😏

1 minute ago, Ultrastu said:

These perhaps .

There are not many smooth bore .22 airguns about .I can't really think of anything other than an old pistol .

It's very safe to say if you find a neighbour with one then that's your culprit .

How is the dog doing? When was it shot .? 

Screenshot_20210429-211141_Google.jpg

I think you’ve nailed it there, the pellet I have has a smooth lower skirt after the grooves on the upper skirt.

so do you think I’m looking for an old air pistol? 

pooch is doing ok, she’s going bananas being stuck in the cage all the time, out other dog hates it too, they haven’t been separated ounce since birth, it’s been a long week of stressful, and sleepless nights, the police have been round to take photos of the pellet, but even if the do find the waste of skin that did this, if there’s no concrete evidence, they can’t do anything 

So it looks like that pellet is too big for the calibre of the gun .as there is a lot of scrubbing of the lead skirt .

Old English airguns (webley bsa .in .22 were actually 5.6 mm really. 22 cal ) and German guns were made in 5.5mm which is what every thing is made today .

You could buy eleywasp in 5.5 mm and 5.6 mm size for old English guns .

That looks to me like a 5.6 mm pellet stuffed into a 5.5mm barrel that's smooth bore .so if you do find the culprit .it's very likely to be an old boy who loves his garden and has an old smooth bore German gun with an old tin of English pellets. 

Probably in his shed .

13 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

These perhaps .

There are not many smooth bore .22 airguns about .I can't really think of anything other than an old pistol .

It's very safe to say if you find a neighbour with one then that's your culprit .

How is the dog doing? When was it shot .? 

Screenshot_20210429-211141_Google.jpg

That’s the one!

We used to shoot them 20+ years ago. I couldn’t remember the name but could picture the packet. I was going to say it looks like it has been badly fitted to the gun due to the shearing / deformation of the skirt. 

Edited by WalkedUp

Thanks for your insight.

I think you may have just halved my suspect field, there’s a row of bungalows, all owned by elderly folk, there’s one in particular who has a flap pole and fly a racist flag, his gardens are immaculate, I’ve tried raising a conversation a couple of time, but all I’ve ever got off him is a dirty look and some muttered verbals

Thanks for your help, if you would like any more photos, measurements, I can get some precision scales and weigh it too if that helps nail down the theory of an old rifle

Good call, we have one in the freezer, I’ll shoot it sat morning whilst her ladyship is asleep 🤫

I just want to know who did it, no reason whatsoever, the gardens are all lined with fence panels, so there’s zero chance of the dogs getting in, they’re usually in the brush flushing out all the pigeons, they know not to chase them too.

32 minutes ago, Cog Head said:

Good call, we have one in the freezer, I’ll shoot it sat morning whilst her ladyship is asleep 🤫

I just want to know who did it, no reason whatsoever, the gardens are all lined with fence panels, so there’s zero chance of the dogs getting in, they’re usually in the brush flushing out all the pigeons, they know not to chase them too.

Are you on FB, have any cats been shot in the area?