Chicken coop plans

harrycatcat1

A few years ago I had a chicken coop which was about 4ft x 3ft with a door at the front with perches either side and a nest box with a lid to take the eggs out. I have been looking for plans to build one. Has any one got any?

I found this one but its a movable one but then again is it so bad?

https://www.ana-white.com/woodworking-projects/updated-frame-chicken-coop-plans

Could do with one with a removable tray for cleaning also.

Any advice welcome 🙏 

Thanks

Just now, harrycatcat1 said:

Thanks 😊 I thought that but I thought it might be easier to follow a plan than "winging" it 🤣🤣

I've looked into this very topic a few years ago,,,, just for ideas of course 😁 [never got round to building one unfortunately]. There are absolutely loads of plans etc online, or just search for images and build one to what you see 😉 A movable coop is a good idea, to stop an area of the garden wearing out 🙂

6 minutes ago, JKD said:

I've looked into this very topic a few years ago,,,, just for ideas of course 😁 [never got round to building one unfortunately]. There are absolutely loads of plans etc online, or just search for images and build one to what you see 😉 A movable coop is a good idea, to stop an area of the garden wearing out 🙂

👍 I might codge a few dimensions together and see what come up with.

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

all the coops in the old days had iron wheels on so could be moved............if you have the space in your garden to move it a couple of times ...do it :good:

^^^ THis or a moveable run. 

22 minutes ago, Velocette said:

If you can find a way to avoid a wooden one do so. Within a couple of years it will be infested with red mites which are murder to get rid of. Just buy one of the many plastic ones available, with removable trays to make cleaning a doddle.

I found diatomaceous earth took care of them easily enough.

8 hours ago, Velocette said:

If you can find a way to avoid a wooden one do so. Within a couple of years it will be infested with red mites which are murder to get rid of. Just buy one of the many plastic ones available, with removable trays to make cleaning a doddle.

I did think of getting a plastic one but I used to paint my wooden coop with used engine oil and didn't have any trouble with mites.👍

39 minutes ago, snow white said:

You painted the inside with old engine oil that’s where the mights get in between the joints

I painted the outside and the inside, I cleaned it all out and did it first thing in a morning so that it would dry before they went in for the night 🌙 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 29/04/2021 at 21:40, harrycatcat1 said:

Thanks 😊 I thought that but I thought it might be easier to follow a plan than "winging" it 🤣🤣

Haven't kept chooks for a while but I just used logic to build the coop. Never understood why so many designs were tall enough to stand in when a chook is so small. Mine was about 18inches tall with a lift up lid. The coop itself was compact and easy to clean and even used an electric aerial and a light sensor to open and close the door. I'll see if I can find some pics.

Chicken1.jpg.79202dd788c36447b0de082fd19e88af.jpg

In the meantime here's probably the best chook site on the net even if it's mainly American

https://www.backyardchickens.com/

Blowing my own trumpet I actually won the 09 diy incubator contest. I won a sweatshirt worth about £8 which cost me £20 to ship it over here.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/authors/toxo.33362/

Edited by toxo

1 hour ago, toxo said:

Haven't kept chooks for a while but I just used logic to build the coop. Never understood why so many designs were tall enough to stand in when a chook is so small. Mine was about 18inches tall with a lift up lid. The coop itself was compact and easy to clean and even used an electric aerial and a light sensor to open and close the door. I'll see if I can find some pics.

Chicken1.jpg.79202dd788c36447b0de082fd19e88af.jpg

In the meantime here's probably the best chook site on the net even if it's mainly American

https://www.backyardchickens.com/

Blowing my own trumpet I actually won the 09 diy incubator contest. I won a sweatshirt worth about £8 which cost me £20 to ship it over here.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/authors/toxo.33362/

Thanks that looks a good set up 👍

I made my as I went along from bitsa wood I found in my loft plus 4 x 3 inch posts. Defo raise it off the ground makes shooting the odd visiting rat a lot easier, I have only had 3 visit briefly in 2 1/2 years. Make it movable so you can give parts of the garden a rest. I use fencing pins and netting for movable fencing. 

I am also with owee on the effectiveness of diamataceous earth in dealing with red mites. We have not had any yet, I treat every 3 months being careful to put a face mask on as not too clever fir humans either in a confined space.

I put in laminate as flooring, very easy to clean out, just make sure you always put down a good layer of shavings as a start. 

Organic layers pellets are my preference and I also treat with verm-x.

All this has led to very happy rescued hens.