Sheared Actuator Hinge Pin

JTaylor91

Does anybody have any ideas on what I can replace a sheared hinge pin with? I have replaced it with a bolt for now but because the two parts it joined together are different sized holes it’s a bit of a bodge job. The pin was stepped for the different sized holes. 

DE20FE2C-0DC9-426B-AA32-04014A6576ED.jpeg

2 minutes ago, scarecrow243 said:

Hi someone with a lathe could make you one     or 4x4 breakers

That’s what I was thinking. If I got someone with a lathe to put a thread in that I could then bolt, the issue would then be being able to tighten it up with the other end being smooth. To replace the whole hinge would be a bit of a pain, the whole tailgate would have to be taken apart as access is pretty limited. 

C6573472-52BA-49E6-8ED6-038700D5749A.jpeg

If its soft you could drill the hinge pin and either run a tap down it, or drill it out and put a bolt through it, but again its a job for a lathe.

to help with holding the larger diameter put two flats on it.

Edited by old'un

if you drill it out to 7mm you could use a bolt with some unthreaded section as the picture, this will allow a bearing surface for the hinge rather than it running on a threaded section of the bolt.

Alternatively you could drill it out to 5mm which would keep the original bearing surface on the 7mm part of the hinge pin, only question there would be the strength of the 5mm bolt.

7mm bolt.jpg

as a first attempt I would try drilling and tapping it out to 5mm, looking at the hinge it does not look like there is much sideways force so a 5mm bolt maybe fine, if at a later date it does fail you still have the option to drill it out to 7mm, like I said earlier to stop the large diameter part turning whilst tightening, put two flats on the large part of the hinge pin that will fit an open ended spanner.

Got it, sorted it.

It was a simple fix. 

The pivot had been riveted into place by swaging over the end, but, as the pivot is quite hard stainless (to act as a bearing surface), it doesn't swage well - you need a softer metal for that.

Anyhoo, the solution was to drill and tap the pivot 4mm and return it with a 4mm setscrew and washer. The washer and screw substituted for the swaged end and the original pivot surface was retained

All he needs to do is screw it together using a little Loctite to prevent the screw coming loose.

If he doesn't have Loctite a dab of his wife's nail varnish on the thread (or a blob of gloss paint) will do the trick.