THEM !

Rewulf

Set during the early 50s , a black family move from North Carolina to Los Angeles to escape the racism of the Jim Crow era......

Unfortunately its only on Prime at the moment, but this series is excellent, the racism aspect is only part of the story, you will be jumping out of your seat...
The acting is excellent and the set pieces and mood are so well done.
Its not a pleasant watch in places, and some of the horror sections are up their with the best Conjuring, Sinister style.

Highly recommended.

9 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Plenty of stuff like that in it 

APPARENTLY I was found on top the bedroom wardrobe hiding from the monsters in the field across the road when I was delirious as a four years old kid. :yay:

EDIT: Delirious with measles lol.

Edited by Dave-G

Guest cookoff013
On 30/04/2021 at 14:59, Pangolin said:

Will add it to the list. Thanks. A lot of horror is trash but the Conjuring was really good, the old woman on top of the wardrobe, jesus wept!

Poo came out.

On 30/04/2021 at 14:37, Rewulf said:

Set during the early 50s , a black family move from North Carolina to Los Angeles to escape the racism of the Jim Crow era......

Unfortunately its only on Prime at the moment, but this series is excellent, the racism aspect is only part of the story, you will be jumping out of your seat...
The acting is excellent and the set pieces and mood are so well done.
Its not a pleasant watch in places, and some of the horror sections are up their with the best Conjuring, Sinister style.

Highly recommended.

Just watched episode 5 where they play cat in the bag.

Yes, I've watched it through and agree. Good period feel (I think - before my time) and my literal mind liked there being an explanation of events in the final few episodes. The racism was quite a shock, but very probably the norm in that place at the time.

32 minutes ago, Townie said:

The racism was quite a shock, but very probably the norm in that place at the time.

I dont believe what was depicted in the film was normal, the way the whites behaved towards them in almost every scenario was extreme, as if were open season on black people.
It is after all a fantasy horror story, rather than a historical drama !
To depict the racism as anything other than extreme would dilute the horror factor.
This is a family being attacked from all sides, not least from within themselves.

That said , I think the acting was excellent, Im struggling to think of a bad portrayal from anyone.

58 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

I dont believe what was depicted in the film was normal, the way the whites behaved towards them in almost every scenario was extreme, as if were open season on black people.
To depict the racism as anything other than extreme would dilute the horror factor.
This is a family being attacked from all sides, not least from within themselves.

That said , I think the acting was excellent, Im struggling to think of a bad portrayal from anyone.

Yes, fair point. I think I meant the underlying attitudes.

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

Agreed, the acting was great, the guy that played Henry was British. Tap dance man was also brilliant.

I think the extreme hate from the white people was just to mirror the views of the founding settlement, it wouldn't have had as much impact if they weren't so extreme.

I assume you have all watched Get Out, I loved that.

Edited by Pangolin

16 minutes ago, Townie said:

Yes, fair point. I think I meant the underlying attitudes.

Agreed.
Its interesting though how some people have taken the context of the racial violence in the series, and taken that kind of extremity as 'as it was'
More importantly , you have people involved in the production of THEM saying stuff like /

Development[edit]

On July 28, 2018, Amazon gave the project a two-season order.[2] The series was created by Little Marvin, who also wrote the script for the first season and was set to executive produce the show alongside Lena Waithe under their overall deals with Amazon Studios.[3][4] Roy Lee, Miri Yoon, and Michael Connolly of Vertigo Entertainment were also announced as executive producers, with Vertigo co-producing the series under the company's deal with Sony Pictures Television. The first season is subtitled Them: Covenant, and the series will follow a similar limited semi-anthological structure to American Horror Story, with each season following a different story with different characters. Alongside the series order announcement, Waithe said:

Little Marvin's script stayed with me for weeks after I read it. He's written something that's provocative and terrifying. The first season will speak to how frightening it was to be black in 1953. It will also remind us that being black in 2018 is just as horrifying. This anthology series will examine the cultural divides among all of us and explore us vs Them in a way we've never seen before.

Is it really? WAS it really ?
I wasnt there so cant say, but I struggle to see how the level of violence portrayed was every day life for black people, and I definitely fail to see how in present day times, that level of violence from whites to blacks still exists.