Reducing recoil on 12g

Batler

Hi,

Could anyone advise me on some products I should be looking at to protect me from recoil a bit more?

I only have one arm so I'd like to protect my remaining shoulder as much as possible. I use 21g loads and I know people will say that they have no recoil anyway but still, I'd like to minimise felt recoil further. 

Is there a particular skeet vest or recoil pad etc I should look for?

I will be getting a 20g in the future as well but I'd like to mainly stick with 12g.

Thanks

6 minutes ago, Batler said:

I use 21g loads and I know people will say that they have no recoil anyway

Maybe less recoil !

3 minutes ago, sam triple said:

Someone I used to shoot with had something fitted in his stock to reduce recoil , think it was called a kick ease or something similar 

This ^^

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kick-EEZ-Sporting-Backing-Shooting-Accessories/dp/B093DPV285

3 minutes ago, Harnser said:

Have tried a gas operated auto . A gas gun in twenty bore would reduce recoil quite a lot .

harnser.

o

a gas gun 20 bore weighs about the same as a good quality sxs..............one of the best shots i have ever seen was in norfolk...a regular gun at Gillingham....he had one arm and one leg......his mate used to drag him infront of the quad bike prop him up ...and sometimes load for him..although he could load himself......he used a boxlock 16 bore and used to snap it shut like john wayne........

there are 21 gm carts and there are 21 gm carts.........some 21 gm carts i have used have been very punchy....and yet again some 28 gm express carts i have used have been smooth as silk.....start off by trying carts with a lower velocity....usually they mean they have a slower burning powder

my advice is go for a light sxs boxlock and play around with carts...

The branded recoil pad that Browning used to sell (& still does) is called the Reactor. It fits into a pocket inside the vest or jacket, and the one I had, still in the box, came with a mesh pocket which you could sew into your own jacket

Lower recoil?
One of the several reasons to take up shotshell reloading. You can then experiment with powder types, shot charges, etc to fine tune the result that best suits your needs.

And another vote for using a semi-auto gas operated gun as that will further reduce the recoil impulse

Aside from the KickEEZ recoil system, you can also look into adding weight to the gun.

....so quite a few ways to lessen the felt recoil, as well as the actual recoil produced

Thanks everyone, as far as a semi auto, I've tried one but the weight is too far forward. I've been looking at O/U game guns for the weight and load the stock with weights. 

I've tried a SXS but didn't really get on with it to be honest. At the moment I'm using some Eley 21g cartridges (can't remember the exact ones) but I've also heard good things about the Hull comp X 21g I believe?

I think a decent pad in my vest and a decent pad on the gun will get me 90% there

22 minutes ago, Batler said:

Thanks everyone, as far as a semi auto, I've tried one but the weight is too far forward. I've been looking at O/U game guns for the weight and load the stock with weights. 

I've tried a SXS but didn't really get on with it to be honest. At the moment I'm using some Eley 21g cartridges (can't remember the exact ones) but I've also heard good things about the Hull comp X 21g I believe?

I think a decent pad in my vest and a decent pad on the gun will get me 90% there

Hello, I use Comp X in 28g with a 6.5 llb O/U with recoil pad, soft rubber slip on, recoil is very low, 21g Comp X should be even better, there are good O/Us around 6llb , 

My advice is not to try to "beat" Isaac Newton by doing X, Y or Z to a conventional profile gun but to speak to Holland & Holland at their Northwood Shooting School. Explain your situation.

If they are positive in response they can arrange a fitting and will give you the sheet with the measurements. They won't oblige you either to buy a gun from them or have them do the work. Then once you have those speak to experienced stockers in the trade and see who can modify a gun to that.

Also it may very much be worth emailing the big makers such as Browning, Beretta and the UK importers of the smaller makers to see....they very well may have...offered similar solutions to other shooters in your circumstance. Stay well. Good Luck!

Edited by enfieldspares

57 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

This and put a moderator on the end and it will reduce it further and be quiet also  bonus  .

That's about the last thing the OP should consider getting! A semi-auto already has weight too far forward and sticking a moderator on the end will simply exacerbate that disadvantage my moving it further forward still!

The ideal gun, in my opinion, is a light, short-barrelled (24" or 25") side-by-side with a single trigger and a longish pistol-gripped stock with a recoil-pad.

A good-quality well-made gun combined with lightly-loaded, mild cartridges will enable optimum performance.

1 minute ago, aldivalloch said:

That's about the last thing the OP should consider getting! A semi-auto already has weight too far forward and sticking a moderator on the end will simply exacerbate that disadvantage my moving it further forward still!

The ideal gun, in my opinion, is a light, short-barrelled (24" or 25") side-by-side with a single trigger and a longish pistol-gripped stock with a recoil-pad.

A good-quality well-made gun combined with lightly-loaded, mild cartridges will enable optimum performance.

Hello, are there any like that ? I only know the matador with SST with beaver tail forend 

2 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, are there any like that ? I only know the matador with SST with beaver tail forend 

The OP will have to do a bit of research with the trade, I'm afraid. If he's looking to buy new he'll be up against the current fad for longer-barrelled, overly-heavy over-and-unders. If buying second-hand it'll be all about compatibility with non-toxic shot.

I've got almost the ideal gun for him in my cabinet - a lightly-choked, 24 inch-barrelled, sbs 16 bore single-trigger Francotte, made in 1904. Weighs a bare 5lbs, balances well back, and barely recoils at all with 24 gram cartridges. 

hi have you thought about fitting a precision fit stock, you set the stock up to the level of recoil that you are happy with. what gun do you have and what part of the country are you from. If your gun is a browning I have a stock that you could try if you are not too far away.

2 hours ago, Batler said:

Hi,

Could anyone advise me on some products I should be looking at to protect me from recoil a bit more?

I only have one arm so I'd like to protect my remaining shoulder as much as possible. I use 21g loads and I know people will say that they have no recoil anyway but still, I'd like to minimise felt recoil further. 

Is there a particular skeet vest or recoil pad etc I should look for?

I will be getting a 20g in the future as well but I'd like to mainly stick with 12g.

Thanks

Have a word with bk webster gunsmiths. He can do wonders with stocks/fit etc.

I am in two minds about pads that fit into the vest, yes I use one on and one time I did not wear the vest I had no difference in feel I can only put down to being able to seat and feel the guns butt better into my shoulder. 
still undecided and need more shooting with and without and with COVID I have not been shooting much.