Webley Alecto Mk V

wymberley

Heading into the unknown here. If I was to get the Subject pistol in 177 flavour, could anyone kindly tell me what optic would suffice when the max range of some 25 yards is taken into account and which would not interfere with the cocking of the pistol? 

Many thanks.

Edited by wymberley

Hi wymberley .

I've long wanted an alecto and when the chance arose  I declined it. I found the pistol grip far too cramped for my average sized hands..

The gun is fine and I like the triple power option  .

Trigger good too . If your looking at scopes  a 2x mag scope will serve well don't be tempted by a much higher mag .they are almost impossible  to see your target through unless your bench rested and thats not what pistols are for .

A decent red dot will go well and a dot of 3 or 4 moa (not 5 ) should  not obscure  the target too much at 25 yds  .

I have  a crosman 1377 with a cheap enough  smk 2x  pistol  scope on top it is more than accurate  enough  out to 25 yds 

And the scope certainly  makes you more accurate  than open sights at range .

I use mine without optics as most don't like to be used as a cocking handle! I would say some of the hawk reflect optics are tough or buy a cheap optic and don't worry if you bend the tube. the last option is a short style reflect sight like say the Walther  but then that just means less area to slam the upper frame down with.

Edited by Chaz25

11 hours ago, wymberley said:

Slight pause perhaps while I clarify is there or is there not a Mark 6 which may just apply to 177 and has just 2 power levels instead of the three - needs looking into.

Checked it out and the retailer agreed it was a non too well worded advert - Mk V it is.

Best optics are lasers as someone else has done, set two up one above barrel and one below, one red one green. Pick your zero distanceand set them both to hit same spot at that like the dambusters sighting in the bombers.

If closer or further you can tell by where the lasers dots are and can use them for aiming.

Nephew has the Zoraki same gun, I find it very accurate.

Edited by figgy

@ Figgy,

Many thanks. My OP initial phrase applies here. As I see it, the red dot is a sight and a laser is an illumination. I've bought a cheap and cheerful red dot just to get me going so can be discarded without a problem. Can the laser illuminator be seen when out 'in the sticks'?

Edited by wymberley

15 hours ago, figgy said:

I had no problems seeing it at 36meters in my garden. 

At 25 meters it's bright. If direct mid day sunshinenidms shining in your target it might be a bit faint.

Thanks again. I'll see how we get on - hopefully at the weekend. If necessary, I have my eye on the Walther Micro Shot.

What an absolute delight! No recoil what-so-ever and no need at all to adjust the trigger - strength or length - perfect out of the box - just a tad to suit my grip. I've listened and Red Dot it is. Here though, I could do with some help. The top rail is not a weaver, having just one cross groove near the front sight. I've had to fettle the cheapy sight that I bought as the attachment bolt is in the middle of the sight and when located in the groove the front end is riding up the foresight ramp. Could anyone having the Alecto kindly advise on a solution and a sight if I decide to upgrade the cheapy - the pistol deserves it after all.

Many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Even more pleased now. To avoid taking out the chrono' I quickly zeroed the iron sights to be on the safe side and have now decided to replace them with the wide bladed version supplied. Also, it has a bit of a crack so have ordered a moderator. I have now got the red dot sight but will wait until the mod' is fitted to do the final zeroing. Not much choice really as I can't do too much at once at present. All of the reviews are telling me that there's no need for the third stroke as there's very little gain and it's hard work. For me, the former is not valid and a little common sense - when needs must -  sorts out the latter which is true.

Being what it is I went for a lighter and faster pellet but not excessively so and chose a JSB Exact RS which has quite emphatically contradicted the various reviews that I've seen - one pump gives 405 ft/sec and 2.7 ftlbs, 2 gives 535 and 4.7 and finally, the 3rd gives a very worthwhile 597 for 5.8.

11 hours ago, Chaz25 said:

I think the Alecto draw's air on both stroke's small volume opening stroke's large on closing. 

I haven't a clue, but would ask where the pressure comes from. I thought:

Barrel:

'Up' -  (no effort) suck.

'Down' -  (effort required) squeeze.

Repeat above as required

Trigger:

Pull - bang and blow.

9 hours ago, wymberley said:

I haven't a clue, but would ask where the pressure comes from. I thought:

Barrel:

'Up' -  (no effort) suck.

'Down' -  (effort required) squeeze.

Repeat above as required

Trigger:

Pull - bang and blow.

Looking at the diagram's there seems to be like a pre-tube maybe pre-loading the main tube so as to better use the volume? it dose not look like the standard type of pump system I have seen before hence my thinking it works more than one way.

....could be wrong thou! 

Edited by Chaz25

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/05/2021 at 08:26, wymberley said:

Thank you. Mods are a bit thin on the ground where I am and finally found something at Pellpax. I don't know whether it's good or not but it does work.

Did you use and adaptor or find a mod that fits on the air stripper threads?

31 minutes ago, Chaz25 said:

Did you use and adaptor or find a mod that fits on the air stripper threads?

Adaptor. I discovered that the case cut out has a tacky underside leaving a base layer intact. I've now re-profiled the cut out and can fit the pistol with the red dot sight installed and still fit in all the other bits and bobs. Some redundant cut out pieces are now stuck on the case lid to secure smaller bits and pieces when closed. I can't leave the mod' on though so will fit the adaptor with a touch of thread lock and restrain it with a small spanner when removing the mod'. Have also changed the zero to 25 yards.

22 hours ago, wymberley said:

Adaptor. I discovered that the case cut out has a tacky underside leaving a base layer intact. I've now re-profiled the cut out and can fit the pistol with the red dot sight installed and still fit in all the other bits and bobs. Some redundant cut out pieces are now stuck on the case lid to secure smaller bits and pieces when closed. I can't leave the mod' on though so will fit the adaptor with a touch of thread lock and restrain it with a small spanner when removing the mod'. Have also changed the zero to 25 yards.

Sounds good I think I will make a mod so I can put it strait on the stripper thread.