Bird id please

243deer

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I think Linnet. Have not sen one for near 70years.  A patch of gorse bank near my home back then was alive with them nesting, upwards of 40 to 50 every year.

used to see them at minsmere and dunich.............havnt seen them in an eon anywhere else

Agree they were one of the most common birds around at one time. Dont know reason for decline as numbers of most finch species seem healthy especially gold finch.

On 01/05/2021 at 18:25, islandgun said:

Im wondering corn bunting

bruant-proyer-dos-nb.jpg.46f646b1eee8c506328fa1e14c930677.jpg

These are now rarer than linnets. Bird watcher told me a few years back they are already extinct in Ireland.

1 hour ago, TRINITY said:

Agree they were one of the most common birds around at one time. Dont know reason for decline as numbers of most finch species seem healthy especially gold finch.

These are now rarer than linnets. Bird watcher told me a few years back they are already extinct in Ireland.

sadly your right, there are a few breeding birds here, i have been growing and leaving standing cereals for winter food for them but it is probably to little to late

48 minutes ago, old man said:

Possibly lead shot whilst on migration?

I take it they take the same route as swallows over Spain. 

Just now, harkom said:

Please be more careful in your comments. 

IF...taken out of context....this only adds fuel to the agenda of the "non-tox" zealots.

😂 I don't think they'd mind what they were shot with. 

On 02/05/2021 at 20:48, 12gauge82 said:

Slightly off topic, anyone know what has hit the cuckoos, I heard my first one for a couple of years the other day. 

The BTO report on Cuckoos states  a reduction of 37% over the last 15years, the main causes would seem to be a decrease in 'host' breeding species, habitat reduction, and a steep decline in their main food source, moth caterpillars.

Outside of the UK, weather pattern changes are affecting their migration, and there has been some food shortages in their wintering grounds.

Hope this goes some way to explaining.

All the best.

1 hour ago, twenty said:

The BTO report on Cuckoos states  a reduction of 37% over the last 15years, the main causes would seem to be a decrease in 'host' breeding species, habitat reduction, and a steep decline in their main food source, moth caterpillars.

Outside of the UK, weather pattern changes are affecting their migration, and there has been some food shortages in their wintering grounds.

Hope this goes some way to explaining.

All the best.

Really appreciate the comprehensive answer, sad really, you don't realise how much has gone until you realise you haven't heard or seen something in ages. 

12 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

Really appreciate the comprehensive answer, sad really, you don't realise how much has gone until you realise you haven't heard or seen something in ages. 

I Know, Cuckoos used to be a background sound  to many a day in the country for myself, and I'm sure, yourself.