East of England shooting ground or The Priory

Centrepin

Cracking round at EoE last Thursday afternoon with some tricky curling clays with the wind.

Grimsthorpe is fantastic but make sure you book in on their website as they are very busy. You cant just turn up.

Quick warning with Grimsthorpe, dont be late. Get there 15 mins early & get booked in with reception.

If you are late don't bother, the girls are very strict, you will be turned away.

4 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Thanks, looks like it's East of England Thursday or Friday whichever days weather looks best.👍

They are open late night Thursday until 7. I plan to be there around 5 30 for the evening flight!

26 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Is it an easy ground to get around with a walking stick or would I be better on a mobility scooter?

Basically flat, a couple of stands shot from atop some steps, but you could just leave them out.

I am sure if you phoned them 01406 540362  the mobility scooter would be ok'd.

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Basically flat, a couple of stands shot from atop some steps, but you could just leave them out.

I am sure if you phoned them 01406 540362  the mobility scooter would be ok'd.

1 hour ago, SLWC said:

They now have golf buggy hire for £5/hr

Thanks I was planning to phone in advance anyway, I always check I'm OK to button for myself and they have no rules I'm unaware of. It's always better to have first hand impressions from yourselves first

East of England was a good choice. Shot a full slab today and my results varied. Excellent ground and friendly staff.

Couple of niggles but one I could have avoided I suppose. I didn't book the golf buggy so it wasn't available. They currently only have one. That meant I had too much walking to do so was well and truly knackericated. The other was some of the delays didn't work and the traps are instant. Press, mount and the clays are all but gone. Hit rate went down to 1 in 6, so I skipped a couple of stands.

All in all a really good site and I only covered a bit of it.

Lessons learnt for when I'm back here in September are, book in advance and learn to speed up my press, mount and swing and keep the gun moving. For some reason today I kept firing and stopping the gun, not something I want to get in the habit of.

13 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Glad you seem to have enjoyed yourself!:good:

Yes, thank you all for the recommendations, well worth asking PW for opinions.

For those in the competition this weekend, there are some excellent stands. I think his name was Kev, hard to hear with ear defenders on, he was testing the traps and putting finishing touches to others.

Lots of fast crossers and high loopers.

Good luck, I saw a few names on the board I recognised if not knew personally. 

13 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Thanks for the heads up, we will see what Sunday brings!

Let me know how you get on, and with the other thing too.

There was only one stand I couldn't fully work out, two high left to right crossers, by the time I was on them I was stopping the gun for the right of the cage. When someone buttoned for me, I took them early with success almost as incomers.

I know on a competition you get to see the birds first so I'm not saying anything you'll not see before shooting.