Osprey nest vandalism.

twenty

An Osprey nest on a  pole and platform has been chain sawed down by vandals, The site at Llyn Brenig in North Wales was thought to have been approached by boat, as the pole and platform were sited offshore at the lake, the birds had just laid their first egg..............I'm unable to describe these people without expletives.

We fished there yesterday thought there was something wrong as safety boat was going where the nest was all day.but we didn’t know till we came back last night it’s a good job I didn’t catch them what a pointless less act let hope it’s not a fisherman that did it.

If he gets caught 5 years inside no messing 

5 minutes ago, snow white said:

We fished there yesterday thought there was something wrong as safety boat was going where the nest was all day.but we didn’t know till we came back last night it’s a good job I didn’t catch them what a pointless less act let hope it’s not a fisherman that did it.

If he gets caught 5 years inside no messing 

I did think it may have been a fishing related act.

1 minute ago, JDog said:

Obviously someone with an interest in the fishing business.

That's what I thought too..........fellow country sports lovers ?

Most probably done by someone in the fishing business. But surly the birds would not take enough to dent profits? When fishing at Eyebrook I have seen ospreys swooping on several occasions, it’s a spectacular sight and adds to days fishing. Whoever did this vandalism is a complete moron 

Hello, can anyone take a boat out on this lake or just the fishery. There must be access where you could launch ? The video only filmed nest, shame it was not more of that background you may have seen the person or person cutting the pole, I doubt those looking after the nest thought anyone would do this ? It makes you think who, but cannot see for the eggs, so maybe the fishing side, but the hardly dent the population of trout, 

could it be a smear tactic used to gain support to help ban anything to do with country sporting activities .the replies from members have shown a mistrust  and finger pointing at folk  within our community of fishing/fieldsports or are the antis above such tactics.Just a thought.

It’s got private sailing club there that’s locked of to the public and the fishing boat are on morning during the night I would think somebody came with one of those inflatable boats but why for gods sake they are lovely to watch when fishing.

33 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Do you make a similar link when you here of raptor persecution on a shooting estate?

e.g. obviously a gamekeeper?

Probably yes. When raptors are persecuted on moors who else other than a rogue gamekeeper would do it?

Would someone hire a boat, give a name and address in doing so then carry out the dirty deed? I think not.

35 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Do you make a similar link when you here of raptor persecution on a shooting estate?

e.g. obviously a gamekeeper?

Yes I do, it nearly always is as well. (is it ever not?)

That doesn't mean all gamekeepers would do the same.

21 hours ago, JDog said:

When raptors are persecuted on moors who else other than a rogue gamekeeper would do it?

I have found, during a days beating, 4 dead raptors (buzzards) within 100 yds and just a few yards from a road. I trust the keeper and I am sure that they were placed there to discredit his boss.

I am also sure that the beaver that were released on the lower Tay were put there illegally, so I am sure that there are other things at play in some instances.

The Brenig Osprey trust have now set up another ' spare ' nest site on the lake, this is within 400 metres of the vandalised nest, they have constructed a replica nest, and have added a false egg as well............fingers crossed the pair will take this on, as they had only just started their clutch and were not incubating.

• 3 weeks later...

Awkward development.
image.png.d1a86df4fb9b9328741c2ac3fb13e1e1.png

The secondary panel has been taken over by some greylags who now have a clutch! So Plan C is a cherry picker and some Blue Peter magic:

image.png.0f444627e8366fa5456bb2faf50f9b05.png

The pair is still in the area and well bonded, so hopefully with the right option available they may take a fancy to the red and black tree at a dodgy angle!

I heard that Greylags had taken the replacement site, but i suppose that is just opportunism from them.

The Ospreys will have to make a decision on breeding this season before too long, their incubation period is 35-40 days, this would mean the first or second week in July before hatching, if they nest before the end of May.

Their original attempt (the vandalised one), would have had chicks by first week in June, as they had started laying in the last days of April, with the vandalism taking place on April 30th.