Berghaus Yeti Gaiters. Putting over boots.

worrall26

I've used them on Lowas which don't have the Berghaus sole. I just cut out the mid rib of rubber that is designed to sit in a recess in the sole. They are tough to get on, it may help sitting the rubber rand in some hot water. Once they are on, you can seal them in place using a silicone sealant, that way they won't keep slipping off the toes. The best gaiters ever made for very wet conditions. 

19 minutes ago, worrall26 said:

Thanks for replies.

Sorry for not  replying earlier.

My boots Hiax combat high liability. Friends Meindl Dovre Extreme high boot.

Maybe explains why they dont fit.

my wife wears them on Hiax High Liability they work very well on them for her.  The sole is very stiff and hard to fit them on but they stay on better than my altbergs 

21 minutes ago, worrall26 said:

Thanks for replies.

Sorry for not  replying earlier.

My boots Hiax combat high liability. Friends Meindl Dovre Extreme high boot.

Maybe explains why they dont fit.

By George, I think you might be on to something there!:cool1:

You don't need to heat them, make sure they're the right size for the boot. I've put them on Altbergs, Itturis, Karrimors no issue and no heat.

Fit the toe in as far as possible then turn the front of the gaiter inside out so it has a lip you can grab and sits on the laces area....pull the whole gaiter rearwards so you can get on the heel section. Once that's in place grab the front and stretch and peel the front over the toe. 

There's a few things you can do to keep it in place ie double sided sticky tape or glue the **** however that makes it an issue to clean/dry the boot.

I've found you need to get rid of the front thin strap on the sole section if using a random boot as I have above and possibly doctor the sole slightly as the gap between the fore and rear section on boot is often too narrow for the large strap.

They are great if used in the right weather, I find I ended up wet anyway through perspiration unless it was below freezing.

There's a few vids on youtube that show the method as described above, don't get me wrong it is a ballache and you need a strong grip. 

Edited by Hicky

• 2 weeks later...

Yetis were originally designed for traditional leather mountain boots. Stiff ones at that such as Galibier Super pros. They had a stitched soled and thus a step where the Yeti rand sat. It was , therefore, "faired in" from being knocked from below. Despite this they would come off and were tough to get back on out on the hill.  Contact adhesive helped. We are talking the early 80's here. Berghaus bought into the lightweight boots fashion in ghe late 80's and then found, as we all knew ,   that Yetis don't work with bendy boots. Hence the rib at the front and the cross piece for specially designed boots.  Even with plastic mountain boots you needed glue if bog trotting and post holing crisp snow. Glue them on with something glexible. You can get them to go on most boots. Matching the size is crucial and some work better than others.

Push the boot toe through first as far as posdible and then turn the rand inside out. Seat the heel of the boot. Hold the boot and with your thumbs lever the front of the rand on. If it is not a tight and close fit everywhere they won't stay and will leak. The deeper and squarer the toe the best the fit. If the rand overlaps the sole like an over hang their fit is compromised and do is the security.

Never cut the rand. EVER!