Steel and moderators

getthegat

Hi, so,  luckily I've had a really good year, work wise, sad that lots of others haven't, but its meant very little shooting, or time on PW etc. I managed to get out on a new perm the other week and due to the proximity of buildings, horses and a road, I was glad of my moderated 20 bore. Then reading this months Sporting Shooter, the subject of phasing out lead in 2025 was discussed again, and I was wondering how this will affect all Hushpower users. I have spoken to the makers of these guns in the past and was told not to use steel in mine, as it is a full choke barrel. Does anyone know if they can be reemed to half choke, allowing the use of steel shot. 

I spoke to them about this when I bought my Hushpower 20g 500 pump, they said as the pump is half choke I could use standard steel.

I would be surprised if you couldnt get it reemed to half or an aftermarket choke put in.

Edited by Pangolin

2 hours ago, muncher said:

Ii rang them about a month ago and they said they are developing a moderated moderator that will shooot steel. By the way your mossy will be multi choked. 

Aint got any spares, came as half and advised not to change it to anything else.

Edited by Pangolin

8 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

You home load steel .410 carts with plastic wads then ? .

Is it about the wad then? I thought plastics were able to rip up on the moderator, but probably miss heard that one. I'll have to contact Sadlery and Gunroom again and see what they say.

Yes they can .but it depends on the wad .

A plas wad that's just a bung shape and has no petals won't catch anything. 

But fiocchi and Hull cartridge use petal wads . And these can catch on the baffles and strip off .to be left in the mod .

It doesn't happen very often though. 

Maybe 1 in 100 shots?