MTC Swat Atom

johnnytheboy

The accuracy is supposed to improve as parallax error is reduced.  

A few years ago the similar MTC VIPER CONNECT was fashionable, and people did win HFT events with them.  It must work OK as it still sells.  

For target shooting they are fine.  For target and game, I prefer a Hawke Panorama - nice fine reticle and clear sight picture.  Your eyes are not mine though.  

20 hours ago, Wharf Rat said:

The accuracy is supposed to improve as parallax error is reduced.  

A few years ago the similar MTC VIPER CONNECT was fashionable, and people did win HFT events with them.  It must work OK as it still sells.  

For target shooting they are fine.  For target and game, I prefer a Hawke Panorama - nice fine reticle and clear sight picture.  Your eyes are not mine though.  

Interesting thank you, it’s the field of view that interests me for quick target acquisition, ie following squirrels through trees 

My experience with mtc was dire. When I contacted them to try and get a scope fixed they had a could not care less attitude so however good or not their scopes might be without after sales backup it makes it pointless buying another in my eyes.

On 03/05/2021 at 21:25, johnnytheboy said:

Interesting thank you, it’s the field of view that interests me for quick target acquisition, ie following squirrels through trees 

Field of vision is improving on lots of scopes compared to what we grew up with I think.  From memory the Connect certainly had a nice wide field.    I like the Hawke Panoramas for hunting and target shooting myself, they have improved FOV over old Sterling Golds and the like.  

I know the Connect as chap  I knew was testing a one for a magazine feature, and asked me to have a few shots with it over an HFT course for a second opinion.  I liked the scope but found that I didn't get on with wearing my glasses and using it.  Initial target acquisition with no specs was obviously awful.   He wears specs too, but found them to give no difficulties.  Something to consider perhaps.  The reticle was wonderfully fine I do recall.

I will say one thing.  If you can shoot OK with this style of scope, shooting both eyes open is a doddle.  I have a  1.4-4 x 24 for ratting on an old Meteor.  Great for snap shooting.  Not sure if the parallax adjuster on the Atom would hamper your left eye though, my son has a similar scope on his black rifle, but with a much smaller left hand side turret.  

I recently purchased one.

On paper the Atom looked ideal with it’s lightweight, wide field of view and adjustable mounts. Very possibly the ideal hunting scope for me, on paper at least. However I did have a few reservations on MTC build quality that I had read about over the last few years. Having said that, the scope I have been using on my Rapid over the past three years is a Hawke Panorama 4-12x40 AO, so although it has decent glass for the money it doesn’t set the bar too high.

I unboxed the scope, opened the flip-up lens cover, adjusted the ocular lens and excitedly focused on a cherry tree in blossom 15 yards away. What a disappointment......:eek:

With a scope with a MRP of circa £400 I was hoping to be blown away by edge to edge clarity over a wide area. Nope! :rolleyes: The image in the centre of the retical was pretty reasonable, not breathtakingly clear but satisfactory. However just to the left of the first vertical stadia line on the left the image became blurry and worsened the closer you viewed to the edge of the field of view. It was pretty much the same below the centre too. Above and to the right was ok. 

I briefly thought about requesting an exchange but then thought I do not want to be in the same situation again with a replacement. I cannot believe how a scope with such a poor image can pass through quality control, particularly at this price point. Back it goes for a refund.

Also it is not as lightweight as advertised as the published weight does not include the supplied mount which the majority of people would use.