branchers

mossy835

I would say it is a little early to shoot young Rooks , more so this year with it being so cold with the strong Easterly winds , when I used to shoot them many years ago it was always around the 12th of May and it would only last a week before it was all over for another year , now I get more enjoyment watching them growing up than I do shooting them , needless to say I haven't shot them for a good many years .

Yep, middle of May was about right.  Had a farmer friend who used to arrange a couple of afternoons each year and then his wife would make rook pie and invite us all to a sit down meal.  Personally they where tasteless and not worth the trouble but we always said "Many thanks, delicious." as gentlemen should do.

Now I would rather wait till they are flying and stupid and just wanted to get at that laid corn.

Too early up here. This one had fallen out of its nest in the storm last night. I would not bother to shoot branchers as like Walker570 I prefer to take them on the wing. 

F877AD35-C777-42F2-BAB6-48589AA4264D.jpeg

But for some people / areas rooks are more of a pest and so their numbers need to be controlled as efficiently as possible rather than just reduced when causing a problem. 

• 1 month later...