17hmr buying advice

Pangolin

Afternoon, 

Recently had my FAC interview and the paperwork is enroute.

Ive been granted a 22lr, a 17hmr, a 243 and a FAC shotgun.

I'm going to buy the 17hmr first, either the Savage 93R17 or the CZ 457. As these are reasonably cheap new, would you even consider buying them secondhand and if so what to look out for?

Wasn't sure about secondhand as its unlikely I'll be able to test fire them before purchase, would you buy a rifle without being able to shoot it first?

Any views on the two choices of rifle?

Thanks

Edited by Pangolin

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Personally Id buy new, youve got warranty, and you know what the real round count is.

The CZ is a solid choice, Im not sure about the Savage as Ive never known anyone have one , I didnt think they made that model any more ?

The biggest issue with HMRs is the ammo quality, but of all of them, the CZ barrels seem to be the most forgiving, my Tbolt was that ammo fussy , even from batch to batch, I gave up on it.

Have you got ideas of what you want for the rest of the stable ?

4 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Personally Id buy new, youve got warranty, and you know what the real round count is.

The CZ is a solid choice, Im not sure about the Savage as Ive never known anyone have one , I didnt think they made that model any more ?

The biggest issue with HMRs is the ammo quality, but of all of them, the CZ barrels seem to be the most forgiving, my Tbolt was that ammo fussy , even from batch to batch, I gave up on it.

Have you got ideas of what you want for the rest of the stable ?

You can still get hold of the Savage, if not I'll go CZ as I had a BRNO 22lr about 10 years ago, I loved it.

As for the others, probably a M4 variant in 22lr and maybe a Howa 1500.

Have owned quite a few rifles, some new some not, but never had issues with any. 
Mate has the Sako in .17HMR, but most of the folk I know with that calibre have the CZ. 
I have it in .22 and it’s just the digs danglies. Chopped, synthetic stocked it is a through and through workhorse  tool. I’ve had it for years and it’s never let me down. 
CZ all the way for me. 

A new CZ it is then.

21 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

It is a shame they discontinued the 455 as you could buy a new one for £315 inc VAT. The 457s are much more expensive. I have a 40 year old BRNO in .22lr that is still great and a new 455 in .17hmr. 

Looks like McAvoys have a 455 American 16 inch for £399. Was the bolt kift on the 455 as much of an issue as people say?

Thanks for the input.

Hopefully the ticket arrives this next week and I can get out with the 17.

Edited by Pangolin

26 minutes ago, Scully said:

Have owned quite a few rifles, some new some not, but never had issues with any. 
Mate has the Sako in .17HMR, but most of the folk I know with that calibre have the CZ. 
I have it in .22 and it’s just the dogs danglies. Chopped, synthetic stocked it is a through and through workhorse  tool. I’ve had it for years and it’s never let me down. 
CZ all the way for me. 

That was supposed to be an edit, not quoting myself! 

Edited by Scully

1 hour ago, Pangolin said:

A new CZ it is then.

Looks like McAvoys have a 455 American 16 inch for £399. Was the bolt kift on the 455 as much of an issue as people say?

Thanks for the input.

Hopefully the ticket arrives this next week and I can get out with the 17.

I have the CZ 452 American .22lr, the bolt was a little tight/notchy when new but after working the bolt a few times it became much smoother, also had the sears polished and lighter trigger spring fitted, can not fault the rifle and its very accurate.

3 minutes ago, old'un said:

I have the CZ 452 American .22lr, the bolt was a little tight/notchy when new but after working the bolt a few times it became much smoother, also had the sears polished and lighter trigger spring fitted, can not fault the rifle and its very accurate.

Good to know.

There were reports of the bolt catching scope when it was lifted.

13 minutes ago, Pangolin said:

Good to know.

There were reports of the bolt catching scope when it was lifted.

Have not had that problem with the 452, don't know what the difference is between my CZ 452 and the CZ 455 but you only have to look at how many people use CZ rifles and how much praise they get.

I have 4 CZs, .22, 17hmr, .223 and a 243 also have a Howa 1500 in 308. Not necessarily purchased on cost, the 223 was the only one 2nd hand and is a tack driver as are they all when I do my bit. All utterly reliable. The only one I suggest you buy new would be the HMR as you cannot know if the previous owner has had a problem with the poor quality of the ammunition in the past. Only reason I got the Howa was I didn't want to confuse the bolt of the 243 and the 308 when heading out as I store bolts and rifles separately.

FB

13 minutes ago, Flyboy1950 said:

I have 4 CZs, .22, 17hmr, .223 and a 243 also have a Howa 1500 in 308. Not necessarily purchased on cost, the 223 was the only one 2nd hand and is a tack driver as are they all when I do my bit. All utterly reliable. The only one I suggest you buy new would be the HMR as you cannot know if the previous owner has had a problem with the poor quality of the ammunition in the past. Only reason I got the Howa was I didn't want to confuse the bolt of the 243 and the 308 when heading out as I store bolts and rifles separately.

FB

How do you like the Howa

3 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

The Oryx is a chassis system .

The main body is aluminium,  the plastic is only really bits of trim.

It's a nice, light , slim stock.

Yeah, I think its nicer than the 1500 standard stock, didnt realise it was mostly alu.