17hmr buying advice

Pangolin

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the opinions, looks like I'll be getting a new CZ. I'll get a selection of ammo to try out, see what works well with it.

Looking forward to the extended range of the 17 as only owned a 22lr previously.

I must say that Shropshire/West Mercia did a great job with the application process, applied on 23rd March and had my interview on 26th April. They did an equally fast turn around last year with my SGC. Hopefully other departments follow suit.

5 minutes ago, WalkedUp said:

17 is definitely the most versatile. I’ve a .22LR, .17HMR, .223Rem & .308Win. They all have their place but the 17 gets by far the most use. 

The keeper next to my perm said the same, he has a range of calibres, he finds himself using the 17 a lot.

Edited by Pangolin

43 minutes ago, Whitester said:

I’d try and pick up a cz455 stainless, it’ll be tough, accurate,cheap  and you can swap the barrel easily if you shoot it out.

when you get onto the 243 , check out the Mauser m18

Will have a look at the Mauser. (Edit - just had a nose, looks like it may only come in synthetic, not really into synthetic, thanks though.

Im probably going to get the 455 Varmint.

Edited by Pangolin

8 hours ago, villaman said:

Tikka t1x are very good and CZ 457 royal . I have the tikka with about 15 mm groups at 100 yards with federal premium 17 gr and Norma 17 are slighter tighter group @100 yards 

Will takena look at those loads.

The Royal is nice but it adds a fair bit to the price.

Take the weight of the rifle into consideration as well especially if walking / shooting , i used to have a 455 in laminate stock and found it very heavy , swapped it into a synthetic stock and there was no difference in weight , obviously the weight is in the rifle itself , i have now gone back to anschutz and the weight difference is significant plus its a much better gun imo

7 minutes ago, telf said:

Take the weight of the rifle into consideration as well especially if walking / shooting , i used to have a 455 in laminate stock and found it very heavy , swapped it into a synthetic stock and there was no difference in weight , obviously the weight is in the rifle itself , i have now gone back to anschutz and the weight difference is significant plus its a much better gun imo

I dont mind a heavy gun tbh, the varmint version of the 455 is about 400g or 500g heavier than standard.

I'd prefer the heavier gun for steadier aiming when walking and shooting and carry weight doesnt really bother me.

I think the Anschutz is more than I want to spend.

Just now, Scully said:

I much prefer a heavy barrel. My T3 was the Varmint model with a heavy barrel, but stalking for Roe in woods didn’t bother me. There are sling/harness combinations out there which can make the weight unnoticeable. 

I had a heavy on my old 22lr and never found it a problem.

I suppose everyone is a bit different, I see lots of people on here asking about reducing recoil when theyre only firing 28g, it honestly doesnt bother me shooting 36g, 42g plus all day. Each to their own.

15 minutes ago, Pangolin said:

I had a heavy on my old 22lr and never found it a problem.

I suppose everyone is a bit different, I see lots of people on here asking about reducing recoil when theyre only firing 28g, it honestly doesn't bother me shooting 36g, 42g plus all day. Each to their own.

(posting as an old man) - Yet.

Looked back to your original post, so won't, but was going to ask if you considered a 22 WMR in lieu of the HMR (I thoroughly enjoyed mine with the Remington ammo.)

I have cz 452s in .22 and .17hmr, both bought second hand without testing first and both fine use eley subs in the .22 and hornady in the 17 have never had any ammo issues. The one thing I would say is that the bolts are almost identical so I make sure I have the right one if only taking out one calibre. I put in the lighter trigger springs available from rimfire magic and this made the world of difference to my accuracy.

I had a howa 1500 in 243, hogue stock also bought second hand, unfired and it had done a fair bit of work as a foxing rifle, it was very accurate with federal powashok 100gr softpoints even out to 300m, only sold because I had the chance of a 6.5 x 55 sako 75 which will see me out. I also tested the federal 85gr copper bullets in the howa and at 100m the poi was less than 1/2 inch different.

If considering new then I would also throw Bergara into the ring, I am hearing good things and they are a sensible price point.

46 minutes ago, 243deer said:

I have cz 452s in .22 and .17hmr, both bought second hand without testing first and both fine use eley subs in the .22 and hornady in the 17 have never had any ammo issues. The one thing I would say is that the bolts are almost identical so I make sure I have the right one if only taking out one calibre. I put in the lighter trigger springs available from rimfire magic and this made the world of difference to my accuracy.

I had a howa 1500 in 243, hogue stock also bought second hand, unfired and it had done a fair bit of work as a foxing rifle, it was very accurate with federal powashok 100gr softpoints even out to 300m, only sold because I had the chance of a 6.5 x 55 sako 75 which will see me out. I also tested the federal 85gr copper bullets in the howa and at 100m the poi was less than 1/2 inch different.

If considering new then I would also throw Bergara into the ring, I am hearing good things and they are a sensible price point.

Those Bergara look pretty nice.

I'll be going semi auto for the 22lr I reckon. Maybe something cheap and fun like a Chiappa M4 or similar.

I am liking the Howa the more I look at them, need to get some stalking booked in around the Shropshire area when I pick one up.

FEO said the FAC should be with me within 2 weeks as they had some system issues. Not long now.

Edited by Pangolin

Never tried as the ones I have do the job. Scary accurate if I do my job and certainly the tree rats hate them. I am not a one for playing around, something works, stick with it.

Very often any variation is operator error.   OK I'm terribly boring but my plan is to kill something instantly and cleanly, no messing.

1 minute ago, Walker570 said:

Never tried as the ones I have do the job. Scary accurate if I do my job and certainly the tree rats hate them. I am not a one for playing around, something works, stick with it.

Very often any variation is operator error.   OK I'm terribly boring but my plan is to kill something instantly and cleanly, no messing.

Fair enough, as long as theyre consistant I'll be happy. I've got a murder of very wary crows to sort out from a distance.

Just picked up some carts from my local RFD, we had a chat about the CZ 457, he can get me one with a few days lead in but he said they have no 17hmr ammo and haven't been able to get it for about the last month, is this a common issue at the moment, a shortage in 17 ammo?

Buy one box of Ammo and go try them straight away, if they group under an inch at 100 yards go back and buy more from the same batch. No problems getting ammo where I am. Not sure how effective against crows if you are looking at reducing their numbers, the .17hmr, even with a decent mod, is rather loud. But they are fun, mate shot  a crow off a fence post 140 paces away (I would guess 120-130 yards), not a particularly long shot compared to some youtube clips, but sooooo satisfying to see it burst into a cloud of feathers. 

10 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

Buy one box of Ammo and go try them straight away, if they group under an inch at 100 yards go back and buy more from the same batch. No problems getting ammo where I am. Not sure how effective against crows if you are looking at reducing their numbers, the .17hmr, even with a decent mod, is rather loud. But they are fun, mate shot  a crow off a fence post 140 paces away (I would guess 120-130 yards), not a particularly long shot compared to some youtube clips, but sooooo satisfying to see it burst into a cloud of feathers. 

I dont mind if I whittle them down a few a day, I enjoy walking the grounds anyway.

Might have to travel a bit to the next RFD but it isnt far for ammo.

On 03/05/2021 at 17:56, WalkedUp said:

17 is definitely the most versatile. I’ve a .22LR, .17HMR, .223Rem & .308Win. They all have their place but the 17 gets by far the most use. 

Out of those calibres the .17 hmr is the least versatile. It’s a one trick pony. .22 rimfire can run anything from bb caps to hyper velocity, and the centre fires can be loaded to your own needs and specs.