Pangolin

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So it would seem most RFDs are out of stock for the CZ 457 Varmint 17HMR, all waiting on sportsmanguncentre to ship them out. When they do the price seems to have gone up from around £540 to £610, but I've managed to find one at the old price and picking it up on Saturday.

Thanks for the buying advice.

I love my CZ 452 after I did some work on the trigger. Also has a palm swell and is stocked for a scope. Will clover leaf at 100 yards all day. 

No one has mentioned the Weihrauch HW60 or 66. Best trigger you will ever get on a rifle, but the hogback on the 60 will probably be annoying. 

8 hours ago, George1990 said:

I love my CZ 452 after I did some work on the trigger. Also has a palm swell and is stocked for a scope. Will clover leaf at 100 yards all day. 

No one has mentioned the Weihrauch HW60 or 66. Best trigger you will ever get on a rifle, but the hogback on the 60 will probably be annoying. 

I think they do a 60 without the hogback.

I’ve got a T1x in .17hmr & it’s faultless. I’ve put close to a 1000 shots through it in a couple of years and it’s never let me down (using Hornady ballistic tips).  It is a bit galling having to check each box for split necks, but I’ve only ever found 2 that needed returning to the shop for replacement, and they were in the same box. 

Very pleased with the CZ, first shot I grinned and a "whowhoooooo" came out, fun gun to shoot.

Zeroed it roughly at 80m, going back out tomorrow with a tape and a bench/to proper dial it in at a longer distance but I managed to group 5 shots within a 2p at 80m.

Took it around the perm after that, got a squirrel at 60m, the exit wound made a fair hole.

Got it from The Countryman in Derby, great prices there.

Edited by Pangolin

On 29/05/2021 at 17:15, Pangolin said:

Very pleased with the CZ, first shot I grinned and a "whowhoooooo" came out, fun gun to shoot.

Zeroed it roughly at 80m, going back out tomorrow with a tape and a bench/to proper dial it in at a longer distance but I managed to group 5 shots within a 2p at 80m.

Took it around the perm after that, got a squirrel at 60m, the exit wound made a fair hole.

Got it from The Countryman in Derby, great prices there.

I recently bought a 455 Varmint and the heavier barrel doesnt bother me at all ( i thought it may cause problems as this was my first  serious foray into rimfire and ive always had a liking for the smaller more lightweight rifles) in fact i think it aids accuracy when shooting. And as has been said before, they are great fun to shoot.  Congratulations on your first squizzer and hopefully many more to come.

Edited by telbert
Wrong info

10 minutes ago, telbert said:

I recently bought a 455 Varmint and the heavier barrel doesnt bother me at all ( i thought it may cause problems as this was my first foray into .17 hmr and ive always had a liking for the smaller more lightweight rifles) in fact i think it aids accuracy when shooting. And as has been said before, they are great fun to shoot.  Congratulations on your first squizzer and hopefully many more to come.

Ive found the heavy barrel does help stability when standing and shooting.

5 minutes ago, Pangolin said:

Ive found the heavy barrel does help stability when standing and shooting.

Sorry, a bit of a mistake there. My 455  Varmint is in .22lr and my Marlin 917 Varmint is in .17hmr. ( its been a bit of a long day for me today and my brain is hurting). But the heavy barrels on both are very helpful to me, especially when shooting from my sticks/ small tripod.

2 hours ago, telbert said:

Sorry, a bit of a mistake there. My 455  Varmint is in .22lr and my Marlin 917 Varmint is in .17hmr. ( its been a bit of a long day for me today and my brain is hurting). But the heavy barrels on both are very helpful to me, especially when shooting from my sticks/ small tripod.

Im planning to knock up some sticks next week.

17 hours ago, Pangolin said:

Im planning to knock up some sticks next week.

Ive just been out with my CZ using a camera tripod i bought last year,  similar to this :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EVERESTA-flexible-Smartphone-Bluetooth-shutter/dp/B0827B5582/ref=sxin_11?asc_

with a Primos yoke fitted. Its ideal for  using in limited space when the Primos sticks are too big.

2 hours ago, telbert said:

Ive just been out with my CZ using a camera tripod i bought last year,  similar to this :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EVERESTA-flexible-Smartphone-Bluetooth-shutter/dp/B0827B5582/ref=sxin_11?asc_

with a Primos yoke fitted. Its ideal for  using in limited space when the Primos sticks are too big.

Im thinking more like 2 garden canes and a piece of leather of an old belt.