Ebay - changes

Ricko

Hi, I've noticed that I'm getting messages about changes to the way that I'm getting paid on Ebay, these changes are due to happen at the end of the month. Can anyone explain to me what's going on in simple terms?

Cheers

(I doubt it's a scam as the messages are via my Ebay message account from ebay themselves)

It seems that you will still be able to pay with PayPal but from end of May they will only allow you to be paid into your bank account. Not sure I want eBay direct to have my bank details as in the past they have not proven very secure 

Edited by Stimo22

It's a scam. Except it is eBay itself that is doing the scam. There is a thread on The Stalking Directory "Off Topic" Forum. Here's a cut and paste of my input to that.

A scam, yes, but an eBay official "increase eBay profits scam" no less.

With the current "Buy It Now" if paid for by Paypal you get your money as soon as the buyer pays. With this eBay new requirement you will not! If over say this Christmas you'll be waiting nearly FOUR DAYS for your money.

Here's some of transcript of my recent conversation with them about this "eBay Managed Payments".

I do VERY STRONGLY urge others to also use the "contact eBay" facility to have the same or similar conversation.

I also tackled them on the other now long standing eBay "official scam" of so called "customs clearance charges".

AS OTHERS HAVE SAID YOU ARE SIGNING AN AGREEMENT TO OPEN ENDED DEBITS FROM YOUR ACCOUNT.

ALSO SEE BELOW FOR MY "CHAT" ABOUT MONEY TRANSFER TIME. 100% ANOTHER "OFFICIAL EBAY SCAM"!

I am sorry that other SD members have to click to expand the quotes but hope it is helpful and useful possible dialogue?

All feedback is welcome! And I do PLEASE urge others to have a similar conversation with eBay!

2021 - 04 - 27
02:11:39 UTC Santos
Welcome to eBay UK Live Chat, my name is Santos. Let me review your previous chat transcript, or if you wish you can summarise it for me.
02:11:57 UTC enfieldspares
Hello
02:12:08 UTC enfieldspares
Is this email a phishing scam?
02:12:30 UTC enfieldspares
I note at the end it does give my email address and NAME.
02:13:04 UTC enfieldspares
Here is the email. Sender is ebay@reply2.ebay.co.uk
02:13:11 UTC enfieldspares
02:14:02 UTC Santos
Let me share that the email that you had received is a genuine email and yes eBay payment is now getting updated to eBay Managed Payment.
02:15:06 UTC enfieldspares
So the adresss of ebay@reply2.ebay.co.uk is genuine?
02:15:54 UTC Santos
Yes, that is correct
02:16:14 UTC enfieldspares
Can I update my account details through THIS eBay website? Not via the email?
02:17:56 UTC Santos
Yes, I would recommend you to update any details via eBay site only and not from the link. It may be possible that the email link may have some issue.

02:18:11 UTC Santos
Please copy the below link and paste it on the new tab/window.
02:18:12 UTC Santos
02:18:21 UTC enfieldspares
And can I stil lofer the buyer the choice of Paypal?
02:18:45 UTC Santos
You can click on "Update your details" on the above link and then be able to update the details.
02:19:06 UTC Santos
Yes, the payment option will still have PayPal. The new system is only being changed for getting paid.
02:19:47 UTC enfieldspares
And the Paypal option? Good as if Buy It Now is used with Paypal I can get my money immediately. Not having to wait two working days.
02:20:57 UTC Santos
Richard, buyer will be able to use PayPal, but seller will get paid in to their bank as per the payout period that they will set in their account.
02:21:02 UTC enfieldspares
I do not think that eBay Managed Payments offers any advantage to me. But it does appear to give eBay two days use of MY money for free.
02:21:27 UTC enfieldspares
Do please feed that back to you manager.
02:22:16 UTC Santos
Richard, the payment made by the buyer is not deposited in any eBay's account, it is just processed and then it is deposited in your bank.
02:22:23 UTC Santos
Also, there are other benefits as well.
02:22:37 UTC enfieldspares
But it says within TWO BANKING DAYS.
02:23:41 UTC Santos
It is the max time, most of the time the funds will be paid out within 12 to 24 hours. Also, the eBay fees will be taken at once and so you will not need to worry about eBay invoices nor PayPal fees.
02:24:01 UTC enfieldspares
That means that in Great Britain in December 2021 there will be a long delay. Christmas is on a Saturday so is Boxing Day. So the MONDAY and TUESDAY are bank holidays on 27 and 28 December.
02:25:28 UTC David
Hello, thank you for contacting eBay Managed Payments my name is David, and I am happy to help you today. For the safety and security of your account please do not provide any personal/sensitive information.
02:25:30 UTC David
I am just reading the notes from your previous chat, please give me a few moments.
02:26:15 UTC enfieldspares
Can you also confirm that by allowing eBay Managed Payments to pay money IN to my account that the terms of that agreement do not allow eBay to take money OUT?

02:29:16 UTC enfieldspares
I note this on the terms: When you are found responsible for a chargeback or other disputed amount as per eBay's policies, we charge a £16.80 dispute fee for each dispute.
02:30:10 UTC enfieldspares
So by accepting eBay Managed Payments am I therefore allowing you to TAKE money from my bank account? Please answer YES or NO.
02:30:15 UTC David
In the terms of the managed payments we are asking our members for permission to debit their bank account only for an occasion where a refunds is needed to be given to a buyer when there isnt enough funds in your eBay account to cover the refund.
02:31:29 UTC enfieldspares
So by accepting eBay Managed Terms I am allowing you to TAKE money from my account without eBay needing to ask for a separate permission to do that before that money is taken?
02:32:07 UTC David
We will inform you if we need to debit the account , we will never just take the funds without first contacting you about it
02:32:57 UTC enfieldspares
But after informing me...do,please answer the question....you can take that money? Yes...or No?
02:33:27 UTC David
You would be agreeing to set up a direct debit with eBay for the purpose of debiting the account for a refund.
02:33:32 UTC David
Yes, we can take the funds
02:33:58 UTC enfieldspares
Well this isn't happening. If you want this then I will close my eBay account.
02:35:05 UTC enfieldspares
I have had no issues with Paypal. Do not try to disguise this eBay Managed Payments as any sort of a benefit to me.
02:35:25 UTC David
I am sorry to see this. To sign up for managed payments, we do need you to agree to this. I know this is different than the way you do this now but this is the way we will have to do it while in managed payments
02:35:32 UTC enfieldspares
It isn't is it. It is only of benefit to eBay and eBay's cash flow.

PLEASE NOTE THIS VERY CAREFULLY:

02:36:32 UTC enfieldspares
But you are asking me for an open ended direct debit...yes or no...with no actual limit on what you can withdraw from my account?
02:38:14 UTC David
We are yes but we will only use that when completely needed, we will only do this if there is a case to use it
Edited by enfieldspares

19 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

It's a scam. Except it is eBay itself that is doing the scam. There is a thread on The Stalking Directory "Off Topic" Forum. Here's a cut and paste of my input to that.

With the current "Buy It Now" if paid for by Paypal you get your money as soon as the buyer pays. With this eBay new requirement you will not! If over say this Christmas you'll be waiting nearly FOUR DAYS for your money.

100% agree,  my accounts will be closed as a result of this. I have requested under the current GDPR laws that all the information held about me is released to me for my inspection, once this is received I will instruct them that I wish to exercise my "right to be forgotten" under the right of erasure and all data held it to be deleted which includes all backups on their system. After a month or so has passed I will again request that all information held about me is released for my inspection and if any data is held they will be reported to the ICO and action taken against them if possible.

Ebay`s data controller is the department to email for the data requests etc and can be reached with this address  ebaydpo@ebay.com

And these are the regs they have to abide by  https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/key-definitions/controllers-and-processors/

On 03/05/2021 at 17:11, enfieldspares said:

Here's some of transcript of my recent conversation with them about this "eBay Managed Payments".

I do VERY STRONGLY urge others to also use the "contact eBay" facility to have the same or similar conversation.

I also tackled them on the other now long standing eBay "official scam" of so called "customs clearance charges".

AS OTHERS HAVE SAID YOU ARE SIGNING AN AGREEMENT TO OPEN ENDED DEBITS FROM YOUR ACCOUNT.

ALSO SEE BELOW FOR MY "CHAT" ABOUT MONEY TRANSFER TIME. 100% ANOTHER "OFFICIAL EBAY SCAM"!

I am sorry that other SD members have to click to expand the quotes but hope it is helpful and useful possible dialogue?

All feedback is welcome! And I do PLEASE urge others to have a similar conversation with eBay!

2021 - 04 - 27
02:11:39 UTC Santos
Welcome to eBay UK Live Chat, my name is Santos. Let me review your previous chat transcript, or if you wish you can summarise it for me.
02:11:57 UTC enfieldspares
Hello
02:12:08 UTC enfieldspares
Is this email a phishing scam?
02:12:30 UTC enfieldspares
I note at the end it does give my email address and NAME.
02:13:04 UTC enfieldspares
Here is the email. Sender is ebay@reply2.ebay.co.uk
02:13:11 UTC enfieldspares
02:14:02 UTC Santos
Let me share that the email that you had received is a genuine email and yes eBay payment is now getting updated to eBay Managed Payment.
02:15:06 UTC enfieldspares
So the adresss of ebay@reply2.ebay.co.uk is genuine?
02:15:54 UTC Santos
Yes, that is correct
02:16:14 UTC enfieldspares
Can I update my account details through THIS eBay website? Not via the email?
02:17:56 UTC Santos
Yes, I would recommend you to update any details via eBay site only and not from the link. It may be possible that the email link may have some issue.

02:18:11 UTC Santos
Please copy the below link and paste it on the new tab/window.
02:18:12 UTC Santos
02:18:21 UTC enfieldspares
And can I stil lofer the buyer the choice of Paypal?
02:18:45 UTC Santos
You can click on "Update your details" on the above link and then be able to update the details.
02:19:06 UTC Santos
Yes, the payment option will still have PayPal. The new system is only being changed for getting paid.
02:19:47 UTC enfieldspares
And the Paypal option? Good as if Buy It Now is used with Paypal I can get my money immediately. Not having to wait two working days.
02:20:57 UTC Santos
Richard, buyer will be able to use PayPal, but seller will get paid in to their bank as per the payout period that they will set in their account.
02:21:02 UTC enfieldspares
I do not think that eBay Managed Payments offers any advantage to me. But it does appear to give eBay two days use of MY money for free.
02:21:27 UTC enfieldspares
Do please feed that back to you manager.
02:22:16 UTC Santos
Richard, the payment made by the buyer is not deposited in any eBay's account, it is just processed and then it is deposited in your bank.
02:22:23 UTC Santos
Also, there are other benefits as well.
02:22:37 UTC enfieldspares
But it says within TWO BANKING DAYS.
02:23:41 UTC Santos
It is the max time, most of the time the funds will be paid out within 12 to 24 hours. Also, the eBay fees will be taken at once and so you will not need to worry about eBay invoices nor PayPal fees.
02:24:01 UTC enfieldspares
That means that in Great Britain in December 2021 there will be a long delay. Christmas is on a Saturday so is Boxing Day. So the MONDAY and TUESDAY are bank holidays on 27 and 28 December.
02:25:28 UTC David
Hello, thank you for contacting eBay Managed Payments my name is David, and I am happy to help you today. For the safety and security of your account please do not provide any personal/sensitive information.
02:25:30 UTC David
I am just reading the notes from your previous chat, please give me a few moments.
02:26:15 UTC enfieldspares
Can you also confirm that by allowing eBay Managed Payments to pay money IN to my account that the terms of that agreement do not allow eBay to take money OUT?

02:29:16 UTC enfieldspares
I note this on the terms: When you are found responsible for a chargeback or other disputed amount as per eBay's policies, we charge a £16.80 dispute fee for each dispute.
02:30:10 UTC enfieldspares
So by accepting eBay Managed Payments am I therefore allowing you to TAKE money from my bank account? Please answer YES or NO.
02:30:15 UTC David
In the terms of the managed payments we are asking our members for permission to debit their bank account only for an occasion where a refunds is needed to be given to a buyer when there isnt enough funds in your eBay account to cover the refund.
02:31:29 UTC enfieldspares
So by accepting eBay Managed Terms I am allowing you to TAKE money from my account without eBay needing to ask for a separate permission to do that before that money is taken?
02:32:07 UTC David
We will inform you if we need to debit the account , we will never just take the funds without first contacting you about it
02:32:57 UTC enfieldspares
But after informing me...do,please answer the question....you can take that money? Yes...or No?
02:33:27 UTC David
You would be agreeing to set up a direct debit with eBay for the purpose of debiting the account for a refund.
02:33:32 UTC David
Yes, we can take the funds
02:33:58 UTC enfieldspares
Well this isn't happening. If you want this then I will close my eBay account.
02:35:05 UTC enfieldspares
I have had no issues with Paypal. Do not try to disguise this eBay Managed Payments as any sort of a benefit to me.
02:35:25 UTC David
I am sorry to see this. To sign up for managed payments, we do need you to agree to this. I know this is different than the way you do this now but this is the way we will have to do it while in managed payments
02:35:32 UTC enfieldspares
It isn't is it. It is only of benefit to eBay and eBay's cash flow.

PLEASE NOTE THIS VERY CAREFULLY:

02:36:32 UTC enfieldspares
But you are asking me for an open ended direct debit...yes or no...with no actual limit on what you can withdraw from my account?
02:38:14 UTC David
We are yes but we will only use that when completely needed, we will only do this if there is a case to use it

On 03/05/2021 at 21:34, 243deer said:

This first came in as an option over a year ago, I switched the company I worked for then with no issues.

Well explained here https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/11/ebay-axes-paypal-sellers-bank-accounts-upping-fees/

Thanks both of you for posting.

Very helpful and I won't now sell on eBay unless there's a promotion (like max £1) on selling fees.

eBay gets 12.8% of fees on how many billions and then pays next to zip in taxes........jeez. 

The new system is carp.

I sold an item for £110 + £15p&p (heavy item 5kg insured next day ) total £125. They now take their cut from the grand total not just the price item sold for

Ebay took £18 and I still had to pay post out of what was left. And I have to wait up to 4 days for payment .

I will never sell any thing on there again !