Osprey nest replacement.

twenty

Following the nest vandalism of  last week,  The Brenig Osprey trust has now set up a replacement nest site for the birds, this has been positioned within 400 metres of the vandalised nest site, they have constructed a replica nest, and added a false egg of similar colouration...........hopefully the pair will take this arrangement on, as they had only just started their clutch ( one egg ), and not started incubating......fingers crossed, but fair play for the effort put in.

10 minutes ago, twenty said:

Following the nest vandalism of  last week,  The Brenig Osprey trust has now set up a replacement nest site for the birds, this has been positioned within 400 metres of the vandalised nest site, they have constructed a replica nest, and added a false egg of similar colouration...........hopefully the pair will take this arrangement on, as they had only just started their clutch ( one egg ), and not started incubating......fingers crossed, but fair play for the effort put in.

Yeah I'd heard this was in the pipeline. I think they'd had backup sites lined up anyway in case storms felled the nest, so with any luck their quick intervention will get the birds back and settled. Now to install some sentry guns and a crocodile in at the base to protect it.

2 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Yeah I'd heard this was in the pipeline. I think they'd had backup sites lined up anyway in case storms felled the nest, so with any luck their quick intervention will get the birds back and settled. Now to install some sentry guns and a crocodile in at the base to protect it.

The security on this new site ( if taken on ), will hopefully be a 24/7 arrangement, I don't think anyone in their 'right' mind would try to vandalise it again........would they ?.........who knows, in this world we live in eh.

All the best.

I can only hope the birds will re-establish quickly and successfully , I couldn't believe someone would destroy such an important nest site, I hope they catch those responsible and give them what for. 

They would be better off helping to control the carrion crows killing lambs, and attacking helpless ewes that are lambing. 

There are a lot more predators taking pheasant and partridge chicks than a few raptors and as far as I am aware the Osprey normally prefers a bit of fish, madness  

Agreed, here's hoping that the birds establish in the new nest and can rear a brood

I live about 15 miles from the Brenig, and spent 5 years there and at the Alwen working as a ranger. I'm mystified as to what (if any) shoot would view the ospreys as a danger. The birds have got a massive lake literally on the edge of the nest. The Alwen (2 miles away) is also stocked from the Brenig fish farm, and a number of other lakes and reservoirs on the top of the moors.

I'm a member of a shoot on the edge of the moors (about 5 miles as the osprey flies from the Brenig, and have never seen, nor heard from someone else that has seen, any of the ospreys in the area - they've got such a plentiful food supply by just falling out of the nest that they'd have no need to try getting a rabbit or poult from a few miles away.

I do wonder if the same can be said for sheep farmers in the area - late lambing season that high up, and I suppose a smaller, young lamb would certainly be of a carriable weight for an osprey. But I will freely admit that's speculation on my part

3 minutes ago, robbiep said:

Agreed, here's hoping that the birds establish in the new nest and can rear a brood

I live about 15 miles from the Brenig, and spent 5 years there and at the Alwen working as a ranger. I'm mystified as to what (if any) shoot would view the ospreys as a danger. The birds have got a massive lake literally on the edge of the nest. The Alwen (2 miles away) is also stocked from the Brenig fish farm, and a number of other lakes and reservoirs on the top of the moors.

I'm a member of a shoot on the edge of the moors (about 5 miles as the osprey flies from the Brenig, and have never seen, nor heard from someone else that has seen, any of the ospreys in the area - they've got such a plentiful food supply by just falling out of the nest that they'd have no need to try getting a rabbit or poult from a few miles away.

I do wonder if the same can be said for sheep farmers in the area - late lambing season that high up, and I suppose a smaller, young lamb would certainly be of a carriable weight for an osprey. But I will freely admit that's speculation on my part

Fish make up 99% of the Osprey diet.......small rodents ,amphibians and rabbit make up the other, Osprey chicks would not hatch until  late may,  early June, so lambs would probably be well sized by then.  

24 minutes ago, twenty said:

Fish make up 99% of the Osprey diet.......small rodents ,amphibians and rabbit make up the other, Osprey chicks would not hatch until  late may,  early June, so lambs would probably be well sized by then.  

Oh, I agree. but the perception of risk can be greater than the reality of said risk.

But, as I said, speculation on my part. I hope they catch the culprit (there are cameras all over the place up there, both overt and covert), and they get their day in the harsh glare of publicity in a courtroom

9 hours ago, robbiep said:

Oh, I agree. but the perception of risk can be greater than the reality of said risk.

But, as I said, speculation on my part. I hope they catch the culprit (there are cameras all over the place up there, both overt and covert), and they get their day in the harsh glare of publicity in a courtroom

Lets hope so, but doubt it.........please keep PW up to date with any 'local' news you get, thanks.

All the best.

Robbie where does it say that they think it’s shooting related.

More like something to with film company as they caused a right stink up last year and the word is that they are going to do another tv show there at some time.

Even Packham knows that they mainly eat fish so he is keeping quiet about it not heared from him yet.

until people start blaming shooters for it then he will put is tuppens in

Edited by snow white

7 hours ago, snow white said:

Robbie where does it say that they think it’s shooting related.

More like something to with film company as they caused a right stink up last year and the word is that they are going to do another tv show there at some time.

Even Packham knows that they mainly eat fish so he is keeping quiet about it not heared from him yet.

until people start blaming shooters for it then he will put is tuppens in

My initial post was in response to the post from 'lakeside1000', where he mentioned about other predators taking poults, etc.

I can't see it being anything to do with the filming - everyone local just avoided the area, and the chick that died was found to have been struck by a wind turbine !