Paratroopers' murder trial collapses

chrisjpainter

18 minutes ago, ordnance said:

Its not the matter of terrorists being brought to justice, a amnesty for both its equating security force actions with terrorist actions. 

I appreciate that one could make that comparison, however as all pre-1997 actions in The Troubles are to be given amnesties it comes down to semantics if they are considered equal. 

Let's not forget the terrorism perpetrated by the state against innocent civilians. The same state actively colluded with the police and security forces, who committed acts of terrorism and crime against one side of the community whilst hiding behind the veil of a 'legitimate' organisation. If you think for one second that the british forces deployed to the streets of the North of Ireland only demonstrated exemplary behaviour, you are sadly mistaken. The notion that british soldiers were nothing other than upstanding well bahaved ambassadors is folly. The media across the water portrayed them as such, but the reality on the ground was very different. Shame on those who are happy to turn a blind eye because the crimes were committed by the state. A crime is a crime no matter who commits it.

14 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

Yes, and when an amnesty is offered, it should apply to both sides!

There is already a amnesty in all but name in place for terrorists as part of the good Friday agreement, out of jail, and letters of comfort, pardons etc. Maybe a letter of comfort for all security force members would suffice.   

IRA fugitives given 'letters of comfort' are linked to 300 killings ... Almost 100 IRA fugitives who were given "letters of comfort.

Edited by ordnance

5 minutes ago, ordnance said:

There is already a amnesty in all but name in place for terrorists as part of the good Friday agreement, out of jail and letters of comfort etc.   

Yes, that's my point, the amnesty should apply to ALL involved, or none at all.

Edited by Newbie to this

The big difference is that the IRA child murderers chose to kill children. The British soldiers, a very small percentage of whom killed (by accident, neglect or indifference) innocents were young men sent into a domestic war they were ill suited to fight, by politicians who have left them out to dry. 

I know and shoot with many ex-servicemen who served tours in NI. I’m not sure any of them would choose to go back. 

I have a dozen or so RoI and NI friends, no one has the same view of The Troubles. Like post-apartheid RSA it is best for both of our nations to draw a line under it and offer peace and reconciliation rather than drag up old wounds that rankle on. 

Edited by WalkedUp