Non toxic pellets

PeterHenry

Hi All,

I've (very) recently got into using a hw99s for popping off rabbits in some fields where using a shotgun / rimfire isnt suitable.

Over the course of the bank holiday I've been putting in some practice to familiarise myself with the gun, and am getting the best accuracy at 40 meters with .22 H&N Field Target Trophy 0.95g pellets.

All good so far - but, the cloud that is the incoming lead shot ban being ever in the back of my mind - I have been wondering what the best non toxic alternitives are? 

I imagine I would be right in thinking that nothing is going to be touching being useful at 40 meters?

Edited by PeterHenry

6 hours ago, scarecrow243 said:

Hi Peter i have not tried any lead free pellets yet but the reviews on you tube do not look good they are too light for any good distance and they would need to much longer for more weight then they will not fit most magazines so in other words total ****

Ah, ok - that is unfortunate.

Edit - One thing that occured to me - with something like a spring powered / non magazine rifle, what would be the issue with using a much heavier (and I suppose longer) non toxic slug type pellet? The wind is going to affect it more - but do break barel air rifles have chambers? Are there such things available at the moment?

Edited by PeterHenry

Pellets are cheap, make sure to buy up a good few tins now and put them away. I'm not advocating you do anything illegal with them but markets might dry up. I have a few thousand in store. Who knows? there may be a black market in years to come? 

I have to say, who is ever going to know what you are shooting? and who is there to police it? I shoot mainly rats, nobody has ever asked me what pellets I use

Edited by Vince Green

2 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Pellets are cheap, make sure to buy up a few tins now and put them away. I'm not advocating you do anything illegal with them but markets might dry up. I have a few thousand in store. Who knows? there may be a black market in years to come? 

True - I dont suppose they really go off.

Spraying with wd 40  is a bad idea .

If done to pellets that are shot out of a springer  the oil may induce dieseling ruining accuracy. 

And in a pcp .my effect the pellet probe seal .by melting it or making it go hard .

Either way don't use an oil  

I'm currently running Baracuda greens in .22 which are about as heavy as I can find (12.96gr). Early days at the moment but they seem OK (only gone up to 28yds so far). I tried Hyperdomes before which were accurate up to 25yds but had a very low bc making me think they wouldn't stay that way for much further.