William Powell cleaning kit.

London Best

Unusual in .410 and a nice find.  My .410 kit is a dreadful aluminium rod on which the threads were cut directly in the aluminium tube - and inevitably wore unusable.  I should get it helicoiled, but not an easy size helicoil to find, so at the moment I can only push the brush through.

I do have two lovely sets though, a Beretta set in 12, and a Tim Hardy set in 12/20.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

Unusual in .410 and a nice find.  My .410 kit is a dreadful aluminium rod on which the threads were cut directly in the aluminium tube - and inevitably wore unusable.  I should get it helicoiled, but not an easy size helicoil to find, so at the moment I can only push the brush through.

I do have two lovely sets though, a Beretta set in 12, and a Tim Hardy set in 12/20.

I have another .410 set with a wooden rod, but el cheapo job, and have had to repair it once.
I find the best solution for .410 is a centre fire rifle rod, celluloid covered steel, with .400/.416 fittings.

3 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I rarely use my .410 (an AyA s/s non ejector) as it leads really badly and is a real pig to clean.  I think more lead is left in the barrel than comes out of the business end!

Put some steel through it, that’ll shift it! 🙂👍

2 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

It is very tightly choked - pellets almost have to come out single file!

Even more reason to put some steel through it! The steel will clean it, proof it and open those chokes out a tad in one go! Sorted, jobs a good un! 🙂

13 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Actually, can you even get steel in .410?  I haven't bought any .410 ammunition probably in 10 years ...... and at the rate I use it, what I have in stock will last another 50 years!

I don’t think you can actually, not commercially anyhow. 
I would think a commercially developed .410 eco wad would make it very expensive ammo. 

16 minutes ago, London Best said:

I regularly used to take my .410 to the flight pond for a couple of Mallard, but have not done so now for about twenty years. I think some cartridges are available with Bismuth but I have never enquired about any.

https://www.iancoley.co.uk/gun-shop/shotgun-cartridges/bismuth-cartridges/
Couldn’t find anything regarding prices of .410 NTS cartridges in this country, nor even if they’re available. 
Hevi Bismuth .410 cartridges are available in the US for $39.99 per box of 25. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg