Considering a 28 gauge

Shadowchaser

I'm considering adding a 28 gauge to my collection. The gun would mainly be used for vermin around the farm but I like guns that can cover a multitude of tasks. 

I've discounted them in the past sticking to 410's and 12's. But I now think a 28 would be a good bridge gun. I could be using it on rats one day and clays the next. 

A chap I shoot with beat me the other week at the clay ground with his 28 ga.  

I've been looking at the Beretta semi auto or for less money the Armsan. 

What have been your experiences with this small bore gun? 

I have a Caesar Guerini with 28 and 20 bore barrels. Before that I had a 28g Macnab highlander. The 28 can do anything a 12 can with light loads at reasonable ranges. We have an annual small bore game day and the 28 features heavily. We have no trouble taking our bag with max 21 gm loads.

You won’t be disappointed in this calibre.

What can a 28 do a 12 can't. 12g 21,g factory loads readily available in sizes suitable for rats and much much cheaper than feeding 28 bore.

I had one and though fun and great for long walked days with a pocket full of carts. 

A light 12 semi auto or sxs can do more.

If you really want one buy one, but the move from lead can be catered for with home load steel. 

Edited by figgy

Much as I dislike them for no rational reason (my father had one in his later years so I don't know why) spending money on any decent 20 bore makes better sense than the same money spent on a 28 bore. For the 20 bore will £ for £ be the better value.

Edited by enfieldspares

Don’t listen to them, I have a Armsan 28ga which I was fortunate to pick up at a very good price.

it is a great little gun, light to carry with a pocket full of cartridges. I smile every time I use it, be that on a walked up day, pigeons or clay pigeons.

I do home load for it 21gm and 24gm, yes you can load similar for 12ga or 20ga but it uses a lot less powder than either of them and the fibre wads are cheaper. 

if steel shot eventually makes it redundant then so be it as it has been a joy to own and use and that hopefully will be the situation for a few more years yet.

I bought a Kofs 28g 30 inch on a whim not expecting much. I was wrong. So light and quick. Bought some clay cartridges and never looked back. I shoot more consistent with the 28g and certainly hit more targets (probably fits better than my 12g Guerini) no regrets buying it at all. It's a brilliant gauge and a brilliant little gun. I paid £479 new. 

Come the day and if you think that the money will carry on game shooting which they will as they always have, then you can bet your bottom dollar that in view of the current in vogue move to higher birds they will not be using steel shot. No, it will be smaller loads of TSS 18 through a smaller bore. Supply and demand will ensure a price rise for these guns. If you fancy one and the itch needs scratching, don't dither.

I’ve used a 28 a fair bit on all thinks it’s very versatile 16g for rating and close jobs.  21g for most things be it clay to pheasant and a 24-26g load is still very comfortable to shoot if the birds are further out.  
Not much I’d not shot with a 28 in all honesty. 

1 hour ago, Shadowchaser said:

Thanks for the replies.

I think a 28 gauge will be making it's way into my cabinet very soon. 

I have a 28g browning cynergy Hunter.

Love it with a 24-28gm load.  Sweet shooting, less recoil than my Miroku 12g with a 32gm load.

Stack up on lead if they stop selling it, after all, the market isn’t as big as the 12 / 20 brigade. 

On 04/05/2021 at 20:17, Shadowchaser said:

I'm considering adding a 28 gauge to my collection. The gun would mainly be used for vermin around the farm but I like guns that can cover a multitude of tasks. 

I've discounted them in the past sticking to 410's and 12's. But I now think a 28 would be a good bridge gun. I could be using it on rats one day and clays the next. 

I had a look at one of the Armsan Cre-8 with the higher finish. I think it was described as a grade 2 stock. A lovely thing and only weighed 5 1/2lbs. 

go get a 28 bore you will not be disappointed   they shoot well  if you load your own even better  as anything other than 12g is expensive    load your own you will enjoy the pastime making something that kills better than off the shelf     my experience 

ive owned a yildiz 28g,and while they are a nice little calibre the 20g beats it easily,my 20 wieghes the same as the 28g,so no advantage  weight wise and not all shops stock 28g shells,but a huge range for a 20g.

On 04/05/2021 at 20:17, Shadowchaser said:

errrrr no offence, but it may have been he was a better shot.  28s are lovely little guns and if you have an itch then scartch it but do not expect it to hit more than your 410.

Put it in the pattern and there is little to choose. I have considered one but to be honest I can cover almost everyhting I need to shoot at with what I have and 99.9% of my shotgun work today is with a 410.