.177 or .22?

NoBodyImportant

I had had both, I currently shoot a 177 and find it easier to shoot in the field. Flatter trajectory. However I dislike the reduced energy levels. No doubt someone will come and quote figures to the contrary but the 22 used to hit with a smack. You don’t get that with the 177. Iv shot a few rabbits in the head which when Iv picked the rabbit up it required finishing off, despite it being a headshot. Never had that with the 22 they was all dead on the spot. 

1 minute ago, NoBodyImportant said:

90% shooting trash, 10% small game.  Say rabbits, maybe a raccoon. 

Id stick with the 22 given your intended use.

1 minute ago, zipdog said:

I had had both, I currently shoot a 177 and find it easier to shoot in the field. Flatter trajectory. However I dislike the reduced energy levels. No doubt someone will come and quote figures to the contrary but the 22 used to hit with a smack. You don’t get that with the 177. Iv shot a few rabbits in the head which when Iv picked the rabbit up it required finishing off, despite it being a headshot. Never had that with the 22 they was all dead on the spot. 

If I remember correctly the .177 was 14 ft lbs,  the .22 was 16ft lbs

Just now, NoBodyImportant said:

If I remember correctly the .177 was 14 ft lbs,  the .22 was 16ft lbs

Here in the UK they are both 12 ft lb, or slightly less in reality. I think the 22 will do you really well, but see what others have to say. 

So an average .177 8.4 gen pellet at 14 foot lbs .wil do around 870 fps .

And a 16 grn .22 at 16 fpe around 670 fps .

That's a lot slower .for a usable zero the .177 would be ideal at 40 yds and the .22 30 yds  

If your just plinking then the .177 is cheaper .the .22 on the other hand will smash stuff and bosh it over nicely  as the momentum tends to penetrate  harder materials .

As for rabbits the nice flat trajectoryof the .177  will be great  head shooting them over open ground and unknown ranges (14 fpe is plenty  of power and will put them down fine with head shots  .

For a raccoon  the extra penetration and retained energy of the .22 will definatly  help over the .177 .

I'm a big .177 fan and believe  speed kills but a .22 still has its place especially if your plinking at cans and bottles . Metal spinners and stuff  the momentum makes it move .

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, do they not sell the HW 99 S ,Weihrauch

Not that I have ever seen,  I just love the love of the look of the 34, it does not look like a pellet rifle

37 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

So an average .177 8.4 gen pellet at 14 foot lbs .wil do around 870 fps .

And a 16 grn .22 at 16 fpe around 670 fps .

That's a lot slower .for a usable zero the .177 would be ideal at 40 yds and the .22 30 yds  

If your just plinking then the .177 is cheaper .the .22 on the other hand will smash stuff and bosh it over nicely  as the momentum tends to penetrate  harder materials .

As for rabbits the nice flat trajectoryof the .177  will be great  head shooting them over open ground and unknown ranges (14 fpe is plenty  of power and will put them down fine with head shots  .

For a raccoon  the extra penetration and retained energy of the .22 will definatly  help over the .177 .

I'm a big .177 fan and believe  speed kills but a .22 still has its place especially if your plinking at cans and bottles . Metal spinners and stuff  the momentum makes it move .

Yeah I’m starting to second guess the 22lr.  Should have researched it more instead of ordering at 3am.   The .177 was listed at 1090fps and the .22 970fps if I remember correctly 

Edited by NoBodyImportant

29 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

Not that I have ever seen,  I just love the love of the look of the 34, it does not look like a pellet rifle

Yeah I’m starting to second guess the 22lr.  Should have researched it more instead of ordering at 3am.   The .177 was listed at 1090fps and the .22 970fps if I remember correctly 

The HW99 is called the Beeman 50 in the US.

A flat shooting .177 with soft pellets is a wonderful tool for pests as far as springers are concerned.  With only 14 ft-lb to play with, I'd go for the .177.  I've taken more rabbits with a 10.5ft-lb in .177 than just about anything else.  

6 hours ago, Wharf Rat said:

The HW99 is called the Beeman 50 in the US.

A flat shooting .177 with soft pellets is a wonderful tool for pests as far as springers are concerned.  With only 14 ft-lb to play with, I'd go for the .177.  I've taken more rabbits with a 10.5ft-lb in .177 than just about anything else.  

Hello, cheers for that , 👍

The OP AFAIK, has not mentioned the effectiveness of either calibre but rather questioned the price difference, besides, being in the states I'm guessing that power levels are far higher than in good old blighty so the parameters are different. I would say, after spending out for the gun why quibble over less £1.50 on 500 pellets?

56 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

I would say, after spending out for the gun why quibble over less £1.50 on 500 pellets?

It's like the guy with the Abel reel and the Sage rod quibbling about the cost of the nine feet of "cast" at the terminal end of it all! The five hundred .22 will cost more because they weigh more and are larger so more lead to make and a bigger tin. So when shipped or sent being heavier in weight and greater in volume will also cost more in carrier's charges.

Edited by enfieldspares

Incorrect terminology can be a problem and be misleading. I would imagine that an air rifle pellet is closer to a shotgun pellet than a rifle bullet in terms of terminal ballistics. Being in the land of Ed Lowry, having a shufti at 'lethal energy' and 'energy density' might help with the choice of pellet for live quarry.

Edited by wymberley

14 hours ago, NoBodyImportant said:

So I ordered a Diana 34 in .22.  But when I went to Walmart the 500rd 177 pellet tin was $3.99,  the was $6 for 500.  Is the .22cal worth twice the money per pellet or should I cancel the order and get the .177? 

22 all the way at those power levels the 50% more lead per pellet in 22 over 177 hence the 50% more cost is worth it!