Garden bench restoration advice required.

I have acquired a garden bench and the wood although it seems strong has been painted with something that is flaking off.

I have started scraping it off but would like to put something on that would soak into the wood sooner than a paint.

The end pieces believe it or not weigh 6.5 stone each.

Any advice please?

Edited as I forgot to attach the pictures. 

Screenshot_20210505-120126_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210505-120117_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210505-120110_Gallery.jpg

Edited by harrycatcat1

14 minutes ago, ditchman said:

scrape it all off...then get some boat varnish and cut it back by 75% ...couple of coats...as it is really thin it will soak right in...then finish off with a 50/50 mix..

Please forgive my ignorance but mix it with what?

45 minutes ago, Scully said:

Osmo. 

Is this an oil?

1 hour ago, harrycatcat1 said:

Is this an oil?

Yes. It’s an oil based wax. Brush on and wipe off, as many coats as you like, then when it’s next to do it’s just a simple wipe down with an Emery pad ( no hard sanding )  wipe with white spirits and redo. 

8 minutes ago, Scully said:

Yes. It’s an oil based wax. Brush on and wipe off, as many coats as you like, then when it’s next to do it’s just a simple wipe down with an Emery pad ( no hard sanding )  wipe with white spirits and redo. 

There only seems to be Howdens around here that sell it and you need to set up an account with them.

Would this be ok?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-danish-oil-clear-500ml/7393v

46 minutes ago, harrycatcat1 said:

There only seems to be Howdens around here that sell it and you need to set up an account with them.

Would this be ok?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-danish-oil-clear-500ml/7393v

Yeah, should be fine. The fumes from Danish oil are horrific, but you should be ok outside. 
Again, brush on evenly and wipe off to avoid glossy build up.  Apply multiple coats, wiping down with an emery sponge between coats, clean dust off with white spirits before applying the next. 
As always, prep’ is everything. 

24 minutes ago, Scully said:

Yeah, should be fine. The fumes from Danish oil are horrific, but you should be ok outside. 
Again, brush on evenly and wipe off to avoid glossy build up.  Apply multiple coats, wiping down with an emery sponge between coats, clean dust off with white spirits before applying the next. 
As always, prep’ is everything. 

Thank you for your advice 🙏 

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Just done all my gates and doors and outside table with Cuprinol. Looks good and replaces the last lots put on about ten years ago.

Thanks 👍

1 hour ago, Smokersmith said:

Thanks 👍

12 hours ago, ditchman said:

scrape it all off...then get some boat varnish and cut it back by 75% ...couple of coats...as it is really thin it will soak right in...then finish off with a 50/50 mix..

im with ditchman on this       you thin the varnish with turps / white spirit / substitute anything that thins oil based paints   so it soaks in i always recommend this     and if you wish oil finish on top  will last longer and look better years later  im a cabinet maker we always seal timber before colour or finish   if you don't want to scrape off old paint a pressure washer can work but be care full you can destroy really fast    and drying time after      a heat gun and scraper for the stubborn bits       keep it simple  use what was around before marketing  so many oils ets sunlight damp  not good    bleach       sickens finishes are uv protected   go with what ditchman recommended  if you want colour add ie    before final cote    rustins stain apply leave 20min wipe excess off  and do it again if necessary  and finish  you will not be disapointed  or the rustic look scrape off what you can and leave the rest thats solid   then do what ditchy said its rustic and will last  

Harrythecat...has made me feel ashamed as he is doing what i should do....................story.....

i bought a CAST IRON TABLE WITH 2 CAST IRON CHAIRS/BENCH ENDS...............bloody years ago then i bought all the timber to rebuild them they just need to be drilled and cut to length.....................

as my life is changing and im moving.....im not really going to have time to rebuild the table/chairs...............so they are 

FREE TO ANYONE WHO WANTS TO COME AND PICK THEM UP

cant say fairer that that

ditch

6 hours ago, Saltings said:

im with ditchman on this       you thin the varnish with turps / white spirit / substitute anything that thins oil based paints   so it soaks in i always recommend this     and if you wish oil finish on top  will last longer and look better years later  im a cabinet maker we always seal timber before colour or finish   if you don't want to scrape off old paint a pressure washer can work but be care full you can destroy really fast    and drying time after      a heat gun and scraper for the stubborn bits       keep it simple  use what was around before marketing  so many oils ets sunlight damp  not good    bleach       sickens finishes are uv protected   go with what ditchman recommended  if you want colour add ie    before final cote    rustins stain apply leave 20min wipe excess off  and do it again if necessary  and finish  you will not be disapointed  or the rustic look scrape off what you can and leave the rest thats solid   then do what ditchy said its rustic and will last  

Thanks for your advice.

What I have done is put all the wood latts into my new wood store to dry out as the wood seemed to be soaked. When I tried to rub it with sand paper it just soaked it.

I will have a look at it in a week's time then try and rub/scrape it down. It seems as though the paint has sealed the damp in the wood. 

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

Harrythecat...has made me feel ashamed as he is doing what i should do....................story.....

i bought a CAST IRON TABLE WITH 2 CAST IRON CHAIRS/BENCH ENDS...............bloody years ago then i bought all the timber to rebuild them they just need to be drilled and cut to length.....................

as my life is changing and im moving.....im not really going to have time to rebuild the table/chairs...............so they are 

FREE TO ANYONE WHO WANTS TO COME AND PICK THEM UP

cant say fairer that that

ditch

Very kind offer,  and I’d be round in a shot if you were closer!

Great offer for someone. 

Edited by Scully

10 minutes ago, ditchman said:

whatever you do........make sure you seal the end grain....cause that is where the wet will do its damage first.........

👍👍 thanks

6 hours ago, Saltings said:

This ok?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-yacht-varnish-gloss-clear-750ml/23164