Miruko

Ultrastu

Quick question .I've just seen a nice miruko  .I think it's a mk60 .

But seem to remember seeing a bc 60 sport  on the action  

My question is it had super steel stamped into the side of the barrel but I couldn't see a fler de leys on it .

Is it steel proofed ? Any one know .

It did have the np .stamp .

It's got fixed chokes at1/4 and 1/2 and 28 inch barrels  .

Cheers   

I don’t know much about Mirokus, but isn’t the Mk60 quite an old model? 
The ‘Super steel ‘ stamp could just be a sales pitch much like the ‘Winchester Superior Proofed Steel’ stamped onto their barrels back in the 1980’s, none of which were steel shot proofed. 

If there’s no fleur de lys I doubt it’s steel shot proofed, but that wouldn’t prevent me personally from using steel in it. 

MK60 models are fixed choke and not steel proofed. Since it is 1/4-1/2 choked it is safe to shoot standard steel cartridges through it. Max. shotsize recommended is 3,25 mm. I own a model 6000 in 1/4-3/4 choke which is the predecessor of the MK60 and have shot steel through it since the ban on leadshot over here in 1993. Never had an issue with it.

15 minutes ago, B391 said:

My MK60 has a non steel shot stamp on the barrel as it is fixed 1/4 and 3/4. It says lead only.

I would take the barrel off and see what stamps are on it

Lovely guns

Is that actually stamped onto the barrels?

1 hour ago, Westward said:

An MK60 with 1/4 and 1/2?  Every one I've ever seen or read about (including the one I owned) came with 1/4 and 3/4. 

I looked up the miruko  choke markings and it's 1/4 and 3/4  BUT we checked the chokes with a brand new gauge in the shop and the measured in perfectly at 1/4 and 1/2 .

So I don't know if the 3/4 has been bored out .? 

The gun was nitro proofed so fine for standard steel .given the 1/2 choke. 

The Chambers were also 2 -3/4  not 3 inch .but then unless I'm buying some wildfowling carts (I won't) at 3 inch I doubt it's a problem..

Price is around £850 in mint condition .

I like the gun but the lack of multi choke and super steel proofing is putting me off .

????

25 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

I had one cylinder and 1/4 and another 

1/4 half 

and have 3 that are 1/4...3/4

Your a fan then ?

As I’ve mentioned many times before, I used Gamebore Super Steel 34grm 4’s through an old Winchester 101 Diamond Grade through 1/4 and 1/2 for many years without any detrimental effect at all. The above cartridges are HP steel. 
The only difference between a steel shot proofed gun and a nitro proofed gun is the pressure it is proofed at. Nothing more. 

16 minutes ago, Ultrastu said:

I looked up the miruko  choke markings and it's 1/4 and 3/4  BUT we checked the chokes with a brand new gauge in the shop and the measured in perfectly at 1/4 and 1/2 .

The Chambers were also 2 -3/4  not 3 inch .but then unless I'm buying some wildfowling carts (I won't) at 3 inch I doubt it's a problem..

I like the gun but the lack of multi choke and super steel proofing is putting me off .

????

Your a fan then ?

I’ve got a few but I’ve got other makes so no prejudice 😂 

Cheers guys .

I've just been looking at cartridge  prices .

I was thinking of chopping in a 20b ou for a 12b ou .thinking that the 12b would be cheaper for the 12 b carts  

Looking at jc. Web site the 20b  steel carts are cheaper by quite a margin than the 12b steel's .

the eco wads in 20b steel  are £60 a 1000 cheaper  than 12 .

My local shop today the most expensive cartridges he had in his shop were 12b standard steel  carts .

Think I'm gonna stick with 20 b for now .

12 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

????

Your a fan then ?

Have you considered the difference in weight, balance and handling between an MK60 and an MK70? If not I suggest you take them both in your hands. 1/4-1/2 choke is excellent for both lead and steelshot and I would prefer that to a muzzle heavy multi choked gun.

12 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Cheers guys .

I've just been looking at cartridge  prices .

I was thinking of chopping in a 20b ou for a 12b ou .thinking that the 12b would be cheaper for the 12 b carts  

Looking at jc. Web site the 20b  steel carts are cheaper by quite a margin than the 12b steel's .

the eco wads in 20b steel  are £60 a 1000 cheaper  than 12 .

My local shop today the most expensive cartridges he had in his shop were 12b standard steel  carts .

Think I'm gonna stick with 20 b for now .

My love is a MK 38 sporter, multi choke. Fires any 12 bore cartridge. I buy super steel from JC, but haven't seen any cheapish steel in 20 bore. My oldest Granddaughter uses an OU 20 bore.

I still much prefer lead for everything and am stocking up on it. However, steel is currently cheaper.🤔

I bought my Mk 60 20 bore Gd1 in 2009. It was 1/4 and 3/4 fixed choke and came in a cardboard box!! I immediately had it multi choked and it was reproofed.by Nigel Teague. On inspection there are no "fleur de lis" stamps. Like Scully, I've shot HP steel through it over the years with no detrimental effect.

It's my gun of choice. Always has been. Buy it and enjoy it.