Changing the garage.

oowee

I had a lovely Hilux 2017, my shooting truck and a semi collectable 2005 Audi A2 diesel as my runaround. With all the new clean air stuff I will soon need a small petrol to get into Bristol. I looked to swap just the Audi which was worth just £3k. All the small stuff I could get with low tax was unappealing. Not wanting to put any more money on the driveway I sold them both 🤣 to move money from the shooting truck to the runaround.

I sold the A2 for the same as I bought it for 14 months ago, after 8000 miles and the Hilux for just £1000 less than I bought it for, after nearly two years and 16000 miles. That for me is a result and I cannot believe how prices have gone up.  :good: The Audi I expected to retain it's value but I am amazed the Hilux did so well. 

Now in with the new. The A2 has become an A1 and the Hilux has become a Freelander.

1 hour ago, oowee said:

I had a lovely Hilux 2017, my shooting truck and a semi collectable 2005 Audi A2 diesel as my runaround. With all the new clean air stuff I will soon need a small petrol to get into Bristol. I looked to swap just the Audi which was worth just £3k. All the small stuff I could get with low tax was unappealing. Not wanting to put any more money on the driveway I sold them both 🤣 to move money from the shooting truck to the runaround.

I sold the A2 for the same as I bought it for 14 months ago, after 8000 miles and the Hilux for just £1000 less than I bought it for, after nearly two years and 16000 miles. That for me is a result and I cannot believe how prices have gone up.  :good: The Audi I expected to retain it's value but I am amazed the Hilux did so well. 

Now in with the new. The A2 has become an A1 and the Hilux has become a Freelander.

You shouldn't go far wrong with a Freelander. I bought a Freelander 2 TD4 13 years ago, and apart from a few 'repairs' it's going strong. I've only done just over 95k in it. I put General Grabber AT3's on it and it gets me around on rough, boggy ground.

12 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

You shouldn't go far wrong with a Freelander. I bought a Freelander 2 TD4 13 years ago, and apart from a few 'repairs' it's going strong. I've only done just over 95k in it. I put General Grabber AT3's on it and it gets me around on rough, boggy ground.

Thanks for that confidence boost Steve. Did you put 30 inch tyres on it? 

1 hour ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Interestingly my 2015 L200 is compliant to get into Brizzle City Centre.  Was your 2017 Hilux not Grant?

For those who live nearby, Check here - according to the Bristol CC website, the conditions will be the same as for Birmingham.

Yep the Lux was euro 6 so good for Bristol and Bath but I found it just too big to be sensible particulalry in the multi stories.  Even parking around the streets proved difficulyt on a few occassions. Fine if it was just on odd occassions but for frequent trips a PITA. Interesting that the first proposal from the city was to ban even Euro 6 diesel. 

Edited by oowee

1 minute ago, oowee said:

Thanks for that confidence boost Steve. Did you put 30 inch tyres on it? 

Yep the Lux was euro 6 so good for Bristol and Bath but I found it just too big to be sensible particulalry in the multi stories.  Even parking around the streets proved difficulyt on a few occassions. Fine if it was just on add occassions. 

No, when purchased, it had 17" (235 / 65 / R17) wheel/tyre's on it. At first, General Grabber didn't do a 17" for it. My 'offroading' consists of dirt tracks, some very muddy/mucky, uneven ground and flat fields. It's used onroad 90% of the time. Lovely to drive on and off road.

3 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

No, when purchased, it had 17" (235 / 65 / R17) wheel/tyre's on it. At first, General Grabber didn't do a 17" for it. My 'offroading' consists of dirt tracks, some very muddy/mucky, uneven ground and flat fields. It's used onroad 90% of the time. Lovely to drive on and off road.

Mine wheel size is the same and I was hoping to get some 235/70/r17 just to give a little 1/2" lift.

Its a 2012 XS Sd4 with that velour centre seat trim. I need some good covers for it but I have a set from the Lux and the previous Navara that I will try to fit first. 

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Yep the Lux was euro 6 so good for Bristol and Bath but I found it just too big to be sensible particulalry in the multi stories.  Even parking around the streets proved difficulyt on a few occassions. Fine if it was just on odd occassions but for frequent trips a PITA

Ahh righty makes sense now  Avoid the place where at all possible these days, for the benefit of my mental wellbeing.  Didn't find parking the L200 particularly difficult, in that side streets are all marked+machined anyway.  If you absolutely must be bang in the city centre, my top tip is Grove Car park by the Arnolfini.

29 minutes ago, sandspider said:

I find it strange that my modern (by my standards - 2011!) diesel Skoda will be charged to drive into Bristol. But my 40 year old 2.5 litre petrol Porsche 944 is fine! (Or would be, if I hadn't sold it before lockdown - sob).

Yes it's weird isn't it; especially as your skoda is likely running within spec and emitting close to what is claimed.  Your ancient Porker, by contrast....probably not so much.   And even if it's in spec, the allowable tolerance is huge compared to the Skoda. 

Running both has a much lower environmental impact than a new EV, but hey, let's only look at 'tailpipe' emissions....

On 10/05/2021 at 16:07, sandspider said:

I find it strange that my modern (by my standards - 2011!) diesel Skoda will be charged to drive into Bristol. But my 40 year old 2.5 litre petrol Porsche 944 is fine! (Or would be, if I hadn't sold it before lockdown - sob).

Blame the green party ? If they had their way on all things green we will all be back in the stone age, Yaba daba doo🙄 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper