GRAND PRIX PRO ECO CARTRIDGES

55 minutes ago, Scully said:

Ah, my mistake. Eley obviously sponsor him because he’s a poor shot! 😀

They can give me a couple of thousand to try and i'll give you some very honest feedback. 12s and 20s, on Pheasnt, Partridge, Pigeon and Crows 👍

I do use Pigeon Select, Pigeon HV and 20 bore VIP

Edited by 8 shot

22 hours ago, mgsontour said:

It's an interesting point though, I posted the thread because we were having a chat over coffee the other day and my friend was getting his Purdey's modified to take steel along with a couple of his mates, my reaction was it will spoil daddy's old gun so why not just use bismuth ( he lives in a multi-million pound stately home etc etc ) he nearly fell off his seat on the suggestion of such expense! My personal answer is simple; I use a browning with steel on rough days out and keep my SxS plus 100 bismuth for special days. Obviously Eley have found a niche with the above new cartridge and I can't wait to see them used at higher birds as I personally don't recon they will kill

We all know that steel does work, but these are a tad slow. A No 7 lead fired at the same velocity as the Subject cartridges will hit 1 ftlbs at 41 yards and have an Energy Density (ED) of 141.1 and a penetration capability into ballistic gelatin of 2.7".. The Subject offerings in 5 steel flavour will hit the 1 ftlbs at 47 yards but with an ED of just 88.4 and a penetration capability of just 1.99". A like penetration with the lead is achieved only at 28 yards (679 ft/sec). This simply reflects that when two dissimilar pellets have the same energy, then the smaller is more lethally efficient. The steel figures equate to those of the lead at c60 yards.

This is all well and good 

however if you can find a clay ground that will let you use steel they are mostly governed by the same rules guidelines set out for ground license and falling shot 

28 grams maximum and 6 shot minimum size 

therefore it would be increasing difficult to use them for practice 

hence the need for a lighter load cartridges as to be fair to your quarry you should probably practice with your chosen cartridges before use on live pest or game 

26 minutes ago, 8 shot said:

They can give me a couple of thousand to try and i'll give you some very honest feedback. 12s and 20s, on Pheasnt, Partridge, Pigeon and Crows 👍

I do use Pigeon Select, Pigeon HV and 20 bore VIP

But it’s not the cartridge is it? It’s the person using them. None of the top shots are top shots because they use a certain brand; they use a certain brand because as top shots they are paid ( sponsored ) to do so, and if a different company paid them more to use theirs I’m pretty sure they would. 
There are very few if any poor cartridges out there, and if there were they wouldn’t survive as a saleable item. 
If you’re a better shot than Mr Garrod they may agree to give you a few thousand to test for them. Perhaps you could film an outing on the clays or pigeons, then the rest of us can debate how much of it is you and how much is sympathetic editing. Let us know how you get on. 👍
I use ‘Select’ for clays and decoying, and enjoy doing so, but I don’t feel disadvantaged by using Lyalvale, Cheddite ,Gamebore, or any of the others actually.
It’s not the cartridge. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

But it’s not the cartridge is it? It’s the person using them. None of the top shots are top shots because they use a certain brand; they use a certain brand because as top shots they are paid ( sponsored ) to do so, and if a different company paid them more to use theirs I’m pretty sure they would. 
There are very few if any poor cartridges out there, and if there were they wouldn’t survive as a saleable item. 
If you’re a better shot than Mr Garrod they may agree to give you a few thousand to test for them. Perhaps you could film an outing on the clays or pigeons, then the rest of us can debate how much of it is you and how much is sympathetic editing. Let us know how you get on. 👍
I use ‘Select’ for clays and decoying, and enjoy doing so, but I don’t feel disadvantaged by using Lyalvale, Cheddite ,Gamebore, or any of the others actually.
It’s not the cartridge. 

This. Wot ‘e sez. All day. Every day It’s not the cartridge.

I'll hopefully get my guns back from Teague Chokes in the next week or two, and having banged on about the lack of effectivness of steel shot over the last 12 months i'm going to give the main players a go in the Biowad cartridges a fair go. I won't use plastics in general at all, but will give them a go on clays on the farm so i can pick most of them up. I'm not going to use them on live quarry until i've enough convidence in them. I'll let you know what my thoughts are, good or bad. 

1 minute ago, 8 shot said:

I'll hopefully get my guns back from Teague Chokes in the next week or two, and having banged on about the lack of effectivness of steel shot over the last 12 months i'm going to give the main players a go in the Biowad cartridges a fair go. I won't use plastics in general at all, but will give them a go on clays on the farm so i can pick most of them up. I'm not going to use them on live quarry until i've enough convidence in them. I'll let you know what my thoughts are, good or bad. 

If you don’t have confidence they will be good to start with you will not shoot well with them anyway and write them off.

19 minutes ago, London Best said:

If you don’t have confidence they will be good to start with you will not shoot well with them anyway and write them off.

I won't do anything differently, shoot as normal, the only thing that will have to change will be I'll use half choke instead of full and 3/4. I know what i can do with lead shot so will try with steel. I will also if i can pattern them. I will be honest, as we will all have to use them soon. I usually use 6 shot 30/32g  for all but the highest birds what is the steel equivalent

Edited by 8 shot

56 minutes ago, 8 shot said:

I’ve used HP on live quarry many a time,  through non steel proofed guns and steel proofed, with plastic wads and not the cartridges in question as they’re relatively new.  I think you’ll find they work fine. I just go up a couple of sizes and jobs a good un. 

40 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Well, reading the original post and a follow up one, I'm under the impression that this IS about the cartridge - one new introduction in particular and its potential ballistic performance - and not whether or not various marksmen can shoot straight.

Fair enough. But we won’t know that until there’s feedback, and we won’t get that if the person using them is a poor shot, regardless of how it looks on a pattern plate. 
I’ve already pointed out that they work fine from a hide when in the hands of a good shot, but that was also called into doubt, so I’ll drop out now. 🤷‍♂️

On 08/05/2021 at 16:22, 8 shot said:

Can't believe that i use to shoot that (5000) on small village fete shoots over a year, and nearly 3500 to 4000 at crows and pigeons. 

Not saying thats how many get shot by the shooter but the sponsorship gift is less than 5000, any more shot were purchased by the shooter (thats was told to me by the shooter himself)

2 minutes ago, Charliedog said:

Not saying thats how many get shot by the shooter but the sponsorship gift is less than 5000, any more shot were purchased by the shooter (thats was told to me by the shooter himself)

You may well be correct, I know in previous deals with other sponsored shooters a substantial discount was given on sales of the cartridges.