S Yorks Show & Game Fair ad in BASC magazine

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, London Best said:

@Centrepinis right. That is a weapon. And weapons have nothing to do with shooting.

Sadly since 2016 Scottish parliament  (SNP) has classed standard (non fac) air guns as air weapons and  now are licensed 

just to add

Always wanted a SLME mK111  ,22 cadet/training rifle but could never afford one ,I would not have donned a BD to use it though

Edited by AULD YIN
info

On 07/05/2021 at 22:48, Fellside said:

OK, OK, calm down, my hands are up, lower your AK47 style air rifle, and we can talk about this sensibly. 🤣

See what I mean? You’ve just confirmed how opinions of people are formed, and I don’t even know you! 😀

56 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, what ever it suppose to represent and who the person is it is a very crass way of advertising a countryside game fair, 

After all of the infighting on the forum this sums the advert up nicely (for me at least).

2 hours ago, Scully said:

See what I mean? You’ve just confirmed how opinions of people are formed, and I don’t even know you! 😀

Don’t take it all to heart Scully. Not judging you at all ..... or presume you apply camo paint (joke). Most of us are mainly concerned with potential negative imagery etc. We’re all being careful with PR these days, as I’m sure you are. 

Many will find humour in people dressing up as soldiers in their spare time however - come on, that’s just inevitable isn’t it really? Have a pleasant Sunday. Its all good. 😄

15 hours ago, Fellside said:

Don’t worry about it. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and to take the Micky out of pseudo (or real) action heroes if they want...... and to express concerns about image problems. I don’t think this means we are hopelessly divided. I think there is actually a great sense of solidarity when significant challenges present.

Sadly I do.  I think the not-our-sort-erie being displayed on here is doing the anti's job for them, with them having to lift a finger.

15 hours ago, London Best said:

@Centrepinis right. That is a weapon. And weapons have nothing to do with shooting.

Once again, you go deer stalking with a centre-fire bolt action rifle - a 'military' weapon from 100 years ago, just slightly more refined.  Be under no illusion that deer stalkers of old were using military surplus Lee Enfields and the like.

Just when is your cut off that it is acceptable for shooters to use military surplus technology?  1950s?  Ever used IR or Thermal for pest control?  Worn gore-tex?  Used....superglue to fix something?

1 minute ago, Fellside said:

Ever used a ‘bad guy with a gun’ imagery to promote positive shooting PR?

I think it's a mistake to conflate the south yorks' shows amateur desktop publishing skills in BASC magazine with a PR campaign.

Once again, it's in BASC magazine, if an anti gets his moisturised, hipster-beard-oil-reeking hands on a copy, there'll be plenty to upset him before he gets to that ad.

And, moreover, I haven't been able to find (admittedly with only a half-***** google) south york show using that image anywhere else.

1 minute ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I think it's a mistake to conflate the south yorks' shows amateur desktop publishing skills in BASC magazine with a PR campaign.

Once again, it's in BASC magazine, if an anti gets his moisturised, hipster-beard-oil-reeking hands on a copy, there'll be plenty to upset him before he gets to that ad.

And, moreover, I haven't been able to find (admittedly with only a half-***** google) south york show using that image anywhere else.

Is it good or bad?

2 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Is what good or bad?

image.png

That ad is a total dumpster fire.  Bad.

But some perspective here:  The bigger challenge to shooting is the attitude being displayed on this thread, not a poor ad in the in-house magazine of one of the orgs.

The ‘attitude’ is centred around people quite reasonably questioning the add re shooting’s image etc. and perhaps BASC for publishing. 

It’s a little surprising (or not) that some people took a different view - but they are entitled. Sometimes these threads dive off at whacky tangents. I suppose that’s just human nature. 

On 07/05/2021 at 21:08, London Best said:

None of this sort of stuff has anything to do with shooting.

Much as we need to encourage new people into the sport the shooting community does not want these people, or the paint ballers, or the quick draw exponents. And we certainly don’t need them.

So who is allowed in your increasingly exclusive shooting fraternity?

The head-to-toe tweed "country" folk? The ones who the public equate with fox hunting and general murder of all things cute and fluffy, gammons hell bent on killing elephants and polluting the planet in their Range Rovers.

The ex-military? Most of whom served about 4 years, were medically discharged and spend every possible second regaling everyone in ear shot with tales of their dangerous trips to far flung places, like Germany? (I know very few ex-military shooters, though I know, and am related to quite a few ex-military. Those who have achieved something in the military are usually very reluctant to brag about it)

The all-the-gear no idea clay shooters? Decked out in full merch to match their choice of shotgun brand, their name on the back of their skeet vest despite only shooting the odd Sunday. Happy to tell you, to the penny, how much their new gun and custom stock cost, despite not being asked?

Farmers? Known for shooting children and killing all the furry things as above?

Any other generalisation you'd care to discuss, I'm sure we can find disparaging remarks about any group until there are none left and the antis have won.

Just who meets your criteria for the ever dwindling list of suitable candidates? Who is left to defend the sport when some politician needs a quick win by banning all things that go bang?