CAR DETAILING PRODUCTS

DUNKS

Anyone else use these to protect the metalwork on your gun?

I do and they work well. Before you scoff and of course say that oil has always been used since granddads time, think on would granddad use something else were it available.. Motor car detailing polishes are a mix of rare and exotic oils ad driers. Concocted to give a glossy finish to a vehicle which will protect without attracting abrasive dust like oil does and is designed to outlast many washes and standing outside in corrosive air.

My current one bought for me when I got the car I have now is DODO juice Purple haze. Yep its a daft name but an amazing product. Puts a none slip high gloss on all of the gun and heaven forbid if I should ever get my pride and joy wet it would protect it I am sure.

I invite your comments.

Edited by DUNKS

There are many products for cleaning and protecting various items - and in many cases much the same thing may be sold as products aimed at slightly different markets.  Classic one I can think of is Brasso - which is remarkably similar to T cut.  I also had some 'Bake-O Brite' which was meant to bring a gloss to Bakelite that again seemed similar.

My only concerns with most of these things is to be sure that they are not detrimental to the wood parts - and are not abrasive (unless specifically intended to be so like metal polishes).

Microcrystaline wax (e.g Picreator wax) is apparently used by professional conservators for protecting antique metal surfaces particularly ferrous metals from rusting.  I do use that on things that don't get handled (such as an antique warming pan that hangs on the wall).

On 07/05/2021 at 15:22, DUNKS said:

Anyone else use these to protect the metalwork on your gun?

I do and they work well. Before you scoff and of course say that oil has always been used since granddads time, think on would granddad use something else were it available.. Motor car detailing polishes are a mix of rare and exotic oils ad driers. Concocted to give a glossy finish to a vehicle which will protect without attracting abrasive dust like oil does and is designed to outlast many washes and standing outside in corrosive air.

My current one bought for me when I got the car I have now is DODO juice Purple haze. Yep its a daft name but an amazing product. Puts a none slip high gloss on all of the gun and heaven forbid if I should ever get my pride and joy wet it would protect it I am sure.

I invite your comments.

I’ve thought about this as well. In fact it was a shooting pal that said the same thing. I use an insulator wax called collinite 845 and it’s superb, last 6 months on the car. Gonna give it a spin. It absolutely pssd it down today as well, didn’t stop us shooting, and the ground was dead, pretty much had the place to ourselves. Got Pss wet of course. 😂 

Edited by TK421

10 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

There are many products for cleaning and protecting various items - and in many cases much the same thing may be sold as products aimed at slightly different markets.  Classic one I can think of is Brasso - which is remarkably similar to T cut.  I also had some 'Bake-O Brite' which was meant to bring a gloss to Bakelite that again seemed similar.

My only concerns with most of these things is to be sure that they are not detrimental to the wood parts - and are not abrasive (unless specifically intended to be so like metal polishes).

Microcrystaline wax (e.g Picreator wax) is apparently used by professional conservators for protecting antique metal surfaces particularly ferrous metals from rusting.  I do use that on things that don't get handled (such as an antique warming pan that hangs on the wall).

John the finishers I am proposing are not abrasive at all they are more a coating. The "REN" wax you mention was formulated to stop damage from the atmosphere on museum articles kept in controlled conditions.

10 hours ago, DUNKS said:

John the finishers I am proposing are not abrasive at all they are more a coating.

OK

10 hours ago, DUNKS said:

The "REN" wax you mention was formulated to stop damage from the atmosphere on museum articles kept in controlled conditions.

I use it on things that aren't handled (like wall hangers).  It works well, but it is quite a soft wax and wouldn't stand much handling. 

19 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

OK

I use it on things that aren't handled (like wall hangers).  It works well, but it is quite a soft wax and wouldn't stand much handling. 

Exactly what it was designed for' I use it on my knives.

3 hours ago, DUNKS said:

Dont you find it a bit harsh driving with the solid tyres on your car?😀

No they work absolutely as the where designed to do.  I read this morning a whole load of gobbledegook about the modern trend for artsy fancy items and it had all gone to rat doo doo. Back to basics but meany of todays youngsters do not do basics unless they have an app for it.

Used 3 in 1 for 70years and it has not let me down yet. I do not require a gun to be artsy farsty fancy looking just need it to work when I ask it to.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

No they work absolutely as the where designed to do.  I read this morning a whole load of gobbledegook about the modern trend for artsy fancy items and it had all gone to rat doo doo. Back to basics but meany of todays youngsters do not do basics unless they have an app for it.

Used 3 in 1 for 70years and it has not let me down yet. I do not require a gun to be artsy farsty fancy looking just need it to work when I ask it to.

I too use and like 3in1 but as a lubricant which it was designed for and does well. There are better things on the market for surface protection.

3 in 1 protects the surfaces as well. If my guns develope a patina then all well and good. I have a 16gauge which was probably made very early 1900s and I have had it rebrowned once 40years ago and it now has that lovely worn patina that all Damasc barrels develope over many years.