Obsolete calibre

As I own a  442 Webley British bulldog I was dismayed to see in basc magazine that it is to come off the obsolete calibre list (thanks basc). Thought I would ask Hampshire police if I can apply for a 7.1 collectors licence. Didn't go well, over the phone I had to explain the law is changing , then had to explain why I had a gun not on a licence. Then still none the wiser . need to now put it in an email. Not sure if I am getting old or can nobody give you a straight answer or do their job.

1 hour ago, Ferretlurcher1970 said:

Probably going to deactivation. Can't believe a firearms department don't know the law.

Was my great grandfather gun. He was a gardener at a big house, after an attempt on the bosses  life ggf was promoted to gardener / bodyguard

Have they ever known the law ? Seems to me some made it up as they went along and some decide that it does not apply in their areas .

The law is clear. The owner need apply neither for s7.1 nor s7.3. (And cannot apply "as a heir" for War Trophy status under s1). However what he/she can apply for is s1 as specifically allowed for under the legislation that has REVERTED these "obsolete" calibres to the status they possessed from 1920 until 1998.

There is no need for deactivation. I have in the past "bashed BASC" but this cannot be blamed on them but on one Paul Edmunds.

Anyway here is a link:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/circular-0012021-antique-firearms/circular-0012021-antique-firearms-regulations-2021-and-the-policing-and-crime-act-2017-commencement-no11-and-transitional-provisions-regulations

I have bold highlighted paragraph 20 which says:

Existing Owners of Former Antique Firearms

17. Section 126(4) to (7) of the 2017 Act and Regulation 3 of the Commencement Regulations make transitional provisions for existing owners of former antique firearms who want to continue to possess them.

18. Regulation 3(1) and (2) of the Commencement Regulations allow existing owners to retain on a firearm certificate (or shotgun certificate, if applicable) any firearms they possess that were previously held as antiques but which no longer fall within the definition of “antique firearm” as a result of the amendments to section 58 of the 1968 Act and the Antique Regulations. Existing owners are those people who possessed such a firearm immediately before the Commencement Regulations and Antique Regulations come into force on 22 March 2021. Under the Commencement Regulations, they will have six months (until 23:59 on 21 September 2021) – a transition period - to make an application to their local police force for a firearm or shotgun certificate or a variation to an existing certificate.

19. The vast majority of firearms affected are expected to be handguns and will therefore also become prohibited weapons under section 5(1)(aba) of the 1968 Act, from which they will no longer be exempt as a result of the changes. However, existing owners will be able to apply to possess them on a firearms certificate without needing a section 5 authority (under section 126(5) of the 2017 Act - but see below in relation to dealers). In the case of any firearms which do not become prohibited weapons - for example, rifles – owners will be able to retain them on a firearm certificate too (see above in relation to the transition period during which such application can be made).

20. In all cases, the usual requirements for being granted a firearm certificate (or a shotgun certificate, if applicable), or for such a certificate being renewed, will apply, except it will not be necessary to show good reason for possessing the firearm (section 126(6) and (7) of the 2017 Act). The police will need to be satisfied that applicants are fit to be entrusted with the firearm, are not a prohibited person, and will not represent a danger to public safety or to the peace.

21. Applicants will be required to put in place appropriate security measures to prevent unauthorised access to their firearm(s). The precise arrangements are for the police to determine based on the level of risk involved in each case, taking account of factors such as local crime rates and location of the property, as set out in the Firearms Security Handbook 2020. However, the typical level of security required for handguns will be the same as for firearms possessed under section 7(1) of the Firearms (Amendment) Act 1997. This would normally mean level 2 security where no more than two such firearms are held in domestic premises, and level 3 otherwise.

22. The police will also need to determine what conditions to apply to firearm certificates they grant or vary. The key consideration is that these firearms should not be fired and we suggest a condition for pistols and revolvers along the lines of:

“In accordance with section 126 of the Policing and Crime Act 2017, the [calibre PISTOL/REVOLVER] shall be possessed only. Not to possess ammunition suitable for that firearm. Not to be fired.”

Edited by enfieldspares

3 hours ago, Ferretlurcher1970 said:

Probably going to deactivation. Can't believe a firearms department don't know the law.

Was my great grandfather gun. He was a gardener at a big house, after an attempt on the bosses  life ggf was promoted to gardener / bodyguard

According to the post of Enfield there is no need for de-activation. You just need to apply for a S1 FAC, satisfy the rozzers you’re not a loony, and you’re good to go. You’ll need a cabinet too.

Please don’t have it deactivated. 

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

You just need to apply for a S1 FAC, satisfy the rozzers you’re not a loony, and you’re good to go. You’ll need a cabinet too.

Please don’t have it deactivated. 

As above +1.

Email is a marvellous thing...sometimes....this is one. The OP can cut and paste the Home Office circular to their Chief Constable (with a copy to the newly elected Police and Crime Commissioner) and ask for s1 authority with the words "as per the Home Office circular in my link"!

There are a lot of handguns still held "legally" by various mechanisms. The OP has demonstrated he is a responsible individual who has owned this pistol responsibly and legally all these years. Where is the problem? Zero chance of buying ammo, unlike some obsolete calibres that are a bit more contentious.

Edited by Vince Green