Identify the.....

Mice!

I'm about to get my books out and have a look, but on entering the wood Thursday morning around 6:40am there was a flash of movement made me look, couldn't see anything so I looked through the thermal and this little pile was glowing!

So what critter was sat on the stump doing its business?

20210506_174152.jpg.27723881d3672023fe1d918b1420ac83.jpg

Bsa mag with 177 pellets to give an idea of size.

On 08/05/2021 at 20:20, JDog said:

No I am not pulling your leg Mice!. They have been recorded in quite a few Counties in England of late.

I'm expecting it to be some kind of rodent, I've looked at loads of pictures but the problem is it could be all of them or non of them, it doesn't seem quite the right shape for rat or squirrel but I did shoot a very young grey nearby.

Seems to big for mice or voles, these things are sent to test us.

And I'd say too small,  not enough for a Pine Martin??

22 minutes ago, henry d said:

Nope, theirs is similar to ferrets etc. Usually dark, almost black, long and tapered both ends.

yup............. looking on the natural england website.............they descride the scats as henry d does......can be blue-ish during the summer and curley

be nice if pine martins were this far south ...as they will include squirrel in their diet...

4 hours ago, ditchman said:

yup............. looking on the natural england website.............they descride the scats as henry d does......can be blue-ish during the summer and curley

be nice if pine martins were this far south ...as they will include squirrel in their diet...

Would they not also take red squirrels?

3 minutes ago, old'un said:

Would they not also take red squirrels?

get them to kill all the squizzers then we can kill all the pine martins and re-wild with red squizzers............jobs a gooden

1 hour ago, 7daysinaweek said:

😅

How you keeping Ditchy?

not too bad at the moment...........thank you.....house sale is back on again....agent rang me this morning....3rd time lucky...went up the surgery this morning and they have changed all my diabetic pills and stuff....so see what that does...

over an out:good:

3 minutes ago, ditchman said:

get them to kill all the squizzers then we can kill all the pine martins and re-wild with red squizzers............jobs a gooden

not too bad at the moment...........thank you.....house sale is back on again....agent rang me this morning....3rd time lucky...went up the surgery this morning and they have changed all my diabetic pills and stuff....so see what that does...

over an out:good:

Are you up or down sizing, will you still have a workshop? 

Hope you better on the new regime, sometimes it is a suck and see to a certain extent, obviously within risk benefit and personal preferences.

Still trying to work out what them "scats" are from, hell knows!

atb

7diaw

Ok here goes nothing :-

Baby Rabbit or Leveret Poop ? but on first passing FYI copied from elsewhere not 'tinter web' -

Super poo

If you’ve ever seen rabbit poo, you already have a fair idea of what hare poo looks like as it’s just a slightly larger version of those compact brown pellets you find lying around in fields where rabbits are plentiful. Both hare and rabbit poo is made of grass fibres wrung dry of all moisture, colour, and, presumably, useable nutrients. What an efficient gastrointestinal tract these animals must possess to deal so thoroughly with indigestible grass. Well, yes and no. To achieve this efficiency lagomorphs have to eat the grass twice because one trip through the gut isn’t enough. Yes, hares and rabbits eat their poo! During the night they produce special droppings called cecotropes, which are soft, moist and stuck together in lumps, and they eat them straight away, to give their guts a second go at absorbing nutrients. Only after a second journey through the intestines do those familiar dry pellets of poo come out.

Just a guess - but its the best one I have got !

ATB Agriv8

12 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Are you up or down sizing, will you still have a workshop? 

Hope you better on the new regime, sometimes it is a suck and see to a certain extent, obviously within risk benefit and personal preferences.

Still trying to work out what them "scats" are from, hell knows!

atb

7diaw

severly downsizing.........some of the small 1 and 2 bed bungalows around here have a bike/coal shed attatched to them about 8' x12'  so if im lucky enough to find one local it should suit..............

3 hours ago, Agriv8 said:

Ok here goes nothing :-

Baby Rabbit or Leveret Poop ? but on first passing FYI copied from elsewhere not 'tinter web' -

Super poo

If you’ve ever seen rabbit poo, you already have a fair idea of what hare poo looks like as it’s just a slightly larger version of those compact brown pellets you find lying around in fields where rabbits are plentiful. Both hare and rabbit poo is made of grass fibres wrung dry of all moisture, colour, and, presumably, useable nutrients. What an efficient gastrointestinal tract these animals must possess to deal so thoroughly with indigestible grass. Well, yes and no. To achieve this efficiency lagomorphs have to eat the grass twice because one trip through the gut isn’t enough. Yes, hares and rabbits eat their poo! During the night they produce special droppings called cecotropes, which are soft, moist and stuck together in lumps, and they eat them straight away, to give their guts a second go at absorbing nutrients. Only after a second journey through the intestines do those familiar dry pellets of poo come out.

Just a guess - but its the best one I have got !

ATB Agriv8

I like that,  it certainly sounds like the best bet so far.

15 hours ago, 243deer said:

Light brown droppings are unusual so I wonder what it might have been eating? What type of woodland? They look more herbivore than carnivore to me.

This was mostly oak and scrub, herbivores would be my guess.

1 hour ago, akka said:

You need this book

20210512_222113.jpg

Love it, I was looking at various websites but there was nothing that jumped out, could possibly have been because it was a young rabbit or leveret,  and I never looked at those thinking there too small.