Sky Lanterns National Ban

Conor O'Gorman

Farming, environment, animal and fire organisations are calling for a national ban on sky lanterns in a joint letter submitted by the National Farmers Union to Environment Minister, Rebecca Pow.

Sky lanterns cause wildfires and kill and injure livestock. Further restrictions on their use are long overdue. Once lit and released they can travel out of control for miles across the countryside and it is left to farmers, gamekeepers and landowners to deal with the litter and damage they cause.

https://www.nfuonline.com/news/latest-news/nfu-calls-for-national-ban-on-sky-lanterns/

I find 50 plastic balloons for every 1 lantern remains but at least a balloon does not cause a fire. Both litter the countryside with no comeback on those who releaee them so whilst I am fundamentally against banning things there seems little other choice.

It was time that something was done about the lanterns.  As much as I hate to spoil anyone's fun , they can be pretty dangerous.  A burning lantern was believed to be the cause of a fire at a local recycling centre ,that took the fire service days to extinguish.  I'm surprised that we don't hear of more crop fires started by them . I've been out shooting on warm summer nights , and seen them drifting along in the night sky .

5 hours ago, Centrepin said:

They should be banned, along with fireworks but how will it be policed?

You can't even get the police to attend burglaries they're so overstretched.

Prosecute the sellers with large on the spot fines. 

Nobody set out to police the carrier bag ban that I am aware of but it seems to have been pretty effective.

1 hour ago, 39TDS said:

Prosecute the sellers with large on the spot fines. 

Nobody set out to police the carrier bag ban that I am aware of but it seems to have been pretty effective.

Good idea, that would probably cut down on the number sold, but I think with the likes of ebay, amazon and other online sellers, you'd never effectively stop it. 

10 hours ago, 39TDS said:

the carrier bag ban

Carrier bags haven't been banned??  We just have to pay for them now.  I'm sure there was instant compliance, seems as it put an extra 10p or 20p or whatever it is into the supermarkets' pockets for every bag used, whereas previously the bags were an overhead for them!  That change in legislation was probably worth millions per year to the big supermarkets!!  I'm sure it dis-incentivised the use of a fair proportion of carrier bags but the net result will have been more money made out of plastic bags for the supermarkets, so a total winner for them.  Small local stores also rubbed their hands together because they were able to charge the same levy for piddly little polythene bags way inferior to the supermarket ones.

And has this resulted in the original intention of the legislation..... less plastic entering landfill?  Answers on a postcard.....

7 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

Carrier bags haven't been banned??  We just have to pay for them now.  I'm sure there was instant compliance, seems as it put an extra 10p or 20p or whatever it is into the supermarkets' pockets for every bag used, whereas previously the bags were an overhead for them!  That change in legislation was probably worth millions per year to the big supermarkets!!  I'm sure it dis-incentivised the use of a fair proportion of carrier bags but the net result will have been more money made out of plastic bags for the supermarkets, so a total winner for them.  Small local stores also rubbed their hands together because they were able to charge the same levy for piddly little polythene bags way inferior to the supermarket ones.

And has this resulted in the original intention of the legislation..... less plastic entering landfill?  Answers on a postcard.....

No, no, no, supermarkets don't make any money from carrier bags, it all goes to charity, a charity setup by the supermarket and miraculously they take a large admin fee. But it's all for charity.

Edited by Newbie to this

10 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

I thought the legislation didn’t effect small independents? I’ve never been charged for a bag locally. 

most of the damage is done...as a result of sky lanterns been made with thin steel wires which get into cattle via hay and silage......i believe there are very few proven examples of the lanterns starting fires.....as the lanterns would only fall to earth when the lift fire has stopped burning

these lanterns have been about for 100's of years and used to be constructed out of biodegraderble products ...no steel involved...........perhaps thats the way forward ?

29 minutes ago, ditchman said:

......as the lanterns would only fall to earth when the lift fire has stopped burning

Must admit this puzzled me also, regarding the claims they were responsible for starting fires. 🤷‍♂️
Anyhow, I’m a bit indifferent regarding a ban; it’s not like it will stop people sending them adrift. They’re easy enough to make and who could prove who was responsible anyhow? 

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

most of the damage is done...as a result of sky lanterns been made with thin steel wires which get into cattle via hay and silage......i believe there are very few proven examples of the lanterns starting fires.....as the lanterns would only fall to earth when the lift fire has stopped burning

these lanterns have been about for 100's of years and used to be constructed out of biodegraderble products ...no steel involved...........perhaps thats the way forward ?

Plenty of the lanterns catch fire and fall to earth on fire. But I agree, banning the sale of the ones made with wire and plastic would seem reasonable.

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Must admit this puzzled me also, regarding the claims they were responsible for starting fires.

That was the findings of the fire service enquiry on the big caravan site fire near me (links above).

There was also a major zoo fire in Germany caused by them https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-50971250

where a number (over 30) of animals were killed

11 hours ago, Jim Neal said:

The robbing b****** at my local convenience store starting charging 10p straight away!

🙂 Even our local newsagent who is known for being tight doesn’t charge. You can see it hurts when folk ask for one, but he doesn’t charge. 

I always thought they banned the sale of wire framed ones and they were card framed now?

I see one of the big supermarkets are stopping the ‘bag for life’ thick plastic bags as they have now become the new one use bags and are 3 or 4 times less biodegradable