Husthwaite or winser

Hi all. 
im thinking of having a shooting lesson soon to just see if I can improve a little. Was going to make the 260 mile round trip to see Ben at £75ph. But then my mates just had a lesson with mark at a ground about 1 hour away that I shoot at regularly, but he’s £250 for 2 hours. 

what are your thoughts. 
thanks 

lucas. 

I know lads that are coaches by both Ben and Mark, both are very good. Mark I believe is very flexible and will coach you in the best way that he thinks suits your style and technique, Ben I belive is a bit more rigid in his approach that you shoot his way and that's it. Both are top class and only trying them will tell you which is best for you.

Like smoker said above, there is also John Lee along with Ed Solomons, Sam Green, Nick Hendrick that are Midlands area based.

I think its a personal thing, the YouTube videos I've seen of Ben, I find confusing sometimes as he assumes a lot. There is no doubt about his credentials or coaching I must add. I think he could be a fun coach.

I saw John Lee coaching the other day, coaching a lady who is a far better shot than me BTW, he seemed very sympathetic to her style and even gave me a free word of advice. 

For me it would come down to what I wanted to learn on the day and probably who was closer.

I've been reccomend that Brian Clegg is one of the best coaches available in the North.

Thanks for all the answers chaps.

id like to think I have a good gun mount, iv been shooting clays for 15 years and shoot gun down and I’d like to think I mount the gun correctly 98 times out of 100, 

watching all the videos of Ben he does seem like someone I’d like to meet, but also does seem complicated sometimes in what he says when he’s teaching,  and is obviously a long way away. Mark is a lot closer but is dearer, 

I guess the extra money is a better option rather than a 5 hour drive. And I’m only looking to have a couple of pointer lessons so not that bad, 

thanks.

lucas. 

If you've any doubt about if your gun fits, or not, I'd actually take the train to London and then another train to Northwood and have a fitting with an over and under (if that's your medicine) or a side by side with Holland and Holland. There you will given BOTH advice on correct consistent style and also a fitting to fit that correct consistent style. Get a family train saver ticket and let the family enjoy London whilst you enjoy Northwood.

12 hours ago, Lucasnorth said:

Hi all. 
im thinking of having a shooting lesson soon to just see if I can improve a little. Was going to make the 260 mile round trip to see Ben at £75ph. But then my mates just had a lesson with mark at a ground about 1 hour away that I shoot at regularly, but he’s £250 for 2 hours. 

what are your thoughts. 
thanks 

lucas. 

Even if Mark's price includes the clays it seems a bit steep

6 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

If you've any doubt about if your gun fits, or not, I'd actually take the train to London and then another train to Northwood and have a fitting with an over and under (if that's your medicine) or a side by side with Holland and Holland. There you will given BOTH advice on correct consistent style and also a fitting to fit that correct consistent style. Get a family train saver ticket and let the family enjoy London whilst you enjoy Northwood.

Pretty sure my gun fits fine. 

And I’m also pretty sure I wouldn’t 

go to Holland and Holland if it didn’t. 

The gun fit would be worth more than my gun😂

3 hours ago, Charliedog said:

Even if Mark's price includes the clays it seems a bit steep

My thoughts exactly. And it doesn’t include the clays. If Ben charges £75 Which I think is just about reasonable 

mark is very expensive in my eyes. 

But it saves me a 5 hour drive so I think it’s going to be mark. But would love a lesson off Ben at some point. Even if it’s just to meet him😁

19 hours ago, Lucasnorth said:

Hi all. 

what are your thoughts. 
thanks 

lucas. 

I've learnt more from Ben Husthwaite's approach to shooting in 8 weeks on how to shoot consistently than after a lifetime of shooting.

Before he appeared on the scene I though I knew a fair bit about how to shoot - after -  I soon realised I knew very little.

There is no quick fix, shortcuts etc. its all about executing the processes that goes into making successful shots, combined with regular practice.

Half the battle is learning which method to adopt for different target and Ben has that completely mastered and is able to convey that across in a style that is understandable.

He is very generous when it come to sharing his knowledge and his attention to detail is legendary. 

Absolutely top notch shot and coach in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

As a matter of interest were does mark winser do his coaching. I believe he lives in Yorkshire and he often enters registered shoots at northern ctc (rufforth)

I think he travels about if you want him to, I’ve seen him give lessons at park lodge.

What is it your looking to achieve? 

£250.00 for two hours seems excessive yet Ed charges a minimum of £200.00 for two hours so not far off and could be around same if your closer and don't have to travel. 

Are you a serious competition shooter or game shot or shoot clays for fun.

I seen what Brian Clegg coaching Nick Truter did to his scores, worked for Nick.

It can be a slippery slope to start lessons unless you have something you need help with.  Will one or two lessons help you achieve your goal.

I watched Ed teaching Johnny of the gunshop on YouTube, good to watch and he seems good at it.

Edited by figgy

I’m sure he will do more than one ground, buy I believe as already stated. Ej Churchill’s at the Swinton estate, masham is his home ground. 
im not a game shooter or a competition shooter. I just want to see if,why,when and where I can be improved. Any obvious mistakes I’m making. Not looking to take over the world😂

im booked in tomorrow with mark for a 2 hour lesson so we shall see👍

10 hours ago, Lucasnorth said:

I’m sure he will do more than one ground, buy I believe as already stated. Ej Churchill’s at the Swinton estate, masham is his home ground. 
im not a game shooter or a competition shooter. I just want to see if,why,when and where I can be improved. Any obvious mistakes I’m making. Not looking to take over the world😂

im booked in tomorrow with mark for a 2 hour lesson so we shall see👍

Be interested in any feedback, whilst he is clearly a superb shot I know nobody he has coached, be interested in his approach

Yes same here, let us know your thoughts 👍

However going back to coaching. There is no doubt both winser and husthwaite are on par with the best in their ability to shoot.

But over the years I have followed many sports and seen some of the best there is go into coaching . The same has always applied in every sport in that 'A good player is not guaranteed to make a good coach'.  Yet some great coaches have had average at best careers in their sport.  

It's a complete different skill set you need . In order to recognise deficiencies and being able to communicate what needs to be done to overcome them. Coaches can also become stale , or their style may suit one individual and not another. How often do you hear sportsman say ,I have changed coach and improved. 

I am old and a **** shot. If anyone needs coaching it's me  😁 but I agree with figgy in some respects, it can be a very expensive exercise if you do not know what you need to achieve. You also must be realistic and accept that you may not be that good and never will be, so the best coach there is can only take you so far.

Edited by TRINITY

So chaps, my lesson with mark winser.

im so glad I did it and I thoroughly enjoyed it and feel like I learnt some good points and things to go away to work on, 

and things that worked instantly, and I was well chuffed that such small things and little advise served me so well, 

I could Write a massive essay on the 2 hour lesson but I won’t, the main point he picked up on and is something I knew was hindering me was my left eye dominance and shooting right handed,and shutting my left eye at the last moment, he showed my how to mount in a different place and approach the target differently, and closing my eye pretty much upon mounting the gun and not trying to shoot maintained lead on everything but the swing through method, I was having less gun movement and breaking the clays sooner on some stands and having more time on others, iv plenty to go away and work with and things I know I can easily work with, I shot today the best iv every shot, and I don’t think once he told me where to shoot as he left that to me, we worked on a couple of problem birds I have and when shown how to go about it, it was so obvious where and why I have been going wrong, one stand with some high driven birds, 4 different ones to choose from I’d really been struggling with I got 2/8 yesterday when I went and 3 last week, today after being told what I’d been told earlier on in the day I nailed all 8, I was gobsmacked and a great way to end the lesson, worth every penny, and mark was a great lad, really down to earth and put me at ease from the word go, his instructions were easy to follow and understand, I would definitely recommend him and I will in a couple of months be going back to see if iv improved and remembered it all,

I couldn’t be more pleased😄😄😄😄

Lucas. 

He also said my gun fit perfectly which I thought it did anyway, and he said my mount and,stace and most of my shooting was spot on👍

Edited by Lucasnorth
Spelling