Best Mobile Phone Provider Anyone?

Jaggsy

had o2 trying to get me to sign up to another 24month contract the other day,builder m8 was laughing while i told her i was sick of the same lies were the monthly sim only price they quote is not what you end up getting invoiced for.

crooks the lot of them ,and no i don't go over me data or have any other charges from calls abroad etc

Edited by Remimax

Another vote for GiffGaff. 

Monthly contract that you can change or even leave whenever you want. Very reasonable price, works off the O2 network so good coverage.

I don't think there is a customer service number though, done over the internet via chat IIRC. Never needed them but if it is that bad it's easy to leave without penalty anyway.

I have been with Three for many years but their customer service is just terrible, only people you can speak to are in India, English is not their first language and they can only repeat what is on the sheet in front of them. I am convinced it is Three policy is to pay someone a tiny amount of money and sit there saying the same thing over and over until you give up. 

I have two mobiles and 4G internet, all used to be Three but thankfully the last 24 month contract ran out 2 months ago. Still tying to sort that one out and not getting anywhere, it is very difficult to sort anything out when they won't let you access your account online and the only alternative is the useless call centre in India. They promised to email me my final bill within 2 hours of the phone call, that was 5 days ago and still no email. I just get letters saying I owe money but no way of paying and various threats about credit agencies and debt collectors instead.

On 08/05/2021 at 09:20, henry d said:

I am with giff gaff and bought my phone. I can raise or lower the package as I need and as the three closest to me are also on GG, we get free calls. Works for us.

Same here, also most of the "Goody bags" have unlimited calls, starting @£6 per month.  Also if you sign up and some one else wants one, you can give them a SIM card and you get a fiver and they do too, saving up for use abroad.  You can order extra SIM cards to keep for emergencies or throwaways.  I have 5 in a desk drawer and most of the family have them too. It is the O2 network, so never had any connection issues.

RS

As an outsider Sky mobile we have 2 phones and one WiFi hotspot. unused data gets added to your piggy bank and can be used when you need it having a teen in the house this is very useful !

Been with them a year found support very good !

agriv8

Early days yet but both the Mrs and I have expired contracts. Only been with Vodafone since 1998 so can't really compare.

Switched to Sky mobile and kept our numbers. £16.00  per month joint bill, unlimited calls/texts and 16GB to share between us. Rolls over for 3 years. Calls and texts seem OK but the 4G is so much faster.

Seems a fair deal for two sim only phones?

On 10/05/2021 at 11:30, Mr.T said:

BT for me, combined package for landline, internet and BT TV never had a problem with the mobile phone service from them, and only £5 a month unlimited calls and texts 

Also with BT (but don't have TV part).  Never been a problem, coverage pretty good (shared with EE network I believe), billing app enables you to see usage etc., call annually (UK sourced call) to renew/update.

Key thing is to join a network (i.e. cell infrastructure) that has good coverage in your area.  Note that many (e.g. Tesco) are a billing organiser and use a different provider such as O2).  If 5G is important to you there are even bigger variations between network providers - but changing all the time as 5G rolls out.

Some of the "who uses which" is covered here https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/guides/mobile-phone-coverage/

Edited by JohnfromUK

On 17/05/2021 at 15:46, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Go to whoever provides your internet. Most service providers have deals.

A mate who has just moved to PlusNet has a great sim only deal for £6 per month.

Oops, tried that, returning to PlusNet a few days ago.......I seem in danger of losing my ported number due to a system glitch they have concerning returning customer numbers?

Have been promised final resolution and number connection on this Friday after telling them I'm off under the 24 day clause...........If it goes base over apex you may well hear the screams.

Shame really as the reception/connection from EE has been much better than old provider locally so far.

Cant go back to old provider as have been told my number would be definitely lost as porting underway? 

Edited by old man

• 1 month later...

Has anyone any experience of changing to Smarty from 3. Seems to be fairly easy doing it on line and I can get double the download for a 1/3rd of the price of 3.

Is there any downside of going to 3`s no frills network (Smarty) than pursuing 3 with threatening to leave? 

Smarty is part of 3 and accessible through the My3 accounts page.

FB