old man

22 hours ago, Sciurus said:

It’s the HikVision Vulcan Lynx 15 mm monocular currently £899. 99. Special offers do come up, now and again.

I am not exactly recommending it, I think it is all personal taste. I prefer my pulsar as it has a wider field of view and I am used to it. The full time squirrel rangers have gone over to Hik vision and seem happy with them. What is good about the HikVision is you can clearly see which branch the squirrel is on. With the older Pulsar like mine, you can see the grey at a distance but not always sure which exact branch it is on.

The age old problem! Why not take a trip out to Solware at Tamworth and have a play?

Hello, thanks for that, that Hik lynx 15 looks very good for hand held night vision, I presume these are only for night use ? , I have a pard 019 night spotter at the moment but these thermals seem very popular, at the moment there's so many rabbits in the crops I cannot see, ?cheers

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

31 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, thanks for that, that Hik lynx 15 looks very good for hand held night vision, I presume these are only for night use ?

The Hik is alright for the money, the Hti A4 has a bigger 35 mm lens for the same money though.

Thermal works in the day too, although a hot day can be a strange experience !

The thing with thermal is , once you have used one , its very difficult to see how you coped before !
And using a 'good' thermal with a 640 sensor, its very difficult to go back to cheaper 384 sensor type, the difference is massive.

40 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

The Hik is alright for the money, the Hti A4 has a bigger 35 mm lens for the same money though.

Thermal works in the day too, although a hot day can be a strange experience !

The thing with thermal is , once you have used one , its very difficult to see how you coped before !
And using a 'good' thermal with a 640 sensor, its very difficult to go back to cheaper 384 sensor type, the difference is massive.

Hello, thanks for that, who stocks this HTi  A 4 thermal in uk ? so I can see any reviews, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

11 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, thanks for that, who stocks this HTi  A 4 thermal in uk ? so I can see any reviews, 

Hello, what about this one , Guide IR 510 Nano N2 ? 

Just now, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, what about this one , Guide IR 510 Nano N2 ? 

Sorry to hijack your post OM 

30 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

You can try Youtube , but reviews are few and far between, as no major retailer sells them in the UK.
Ive had several A 3 s , which are basically the same in a different body, Lee Poland on N8 vision group on Facebook sells the A 4, and is a trusted source for them.
I believe they are £820 delivered, theres also an external screen option for another £55.

The Guide Nano isnt a bad bit of kit , 25 mm lens and a 400x 300 sensor, it looks better on paper than the equivalent Hik.

Iray / X eye are also worth a look , a  lot of the major retailers are stocking them now.

I use an Iray FH25R which is an amazing tool, but its £2.5 k worth 😲

1 hour ago, Rewulf said:

You can try Youtube , but reviews are few and far between, as no major retailer sells them in the UK.
Ive had several A 3 s , which are basically the same in a different body, Lee Poland on N8 vision group on Facebook sells the A 4, and is a trusted source for them.
I believe they are £820 delivered, theres also an external screen option for another £55.

The Guide Nano isnt a bad bit of kit , 25 mm lens and a 400x 300 sensor, it looks better on paper than the equivalent Hik.

Iray / X eye are also worth a look , a  lot of the major retailers are stocking them now.

I use an Iray FH25R which is an amazing tool, but its £2.5 k worth 😲

Hello, thanks for that 👍, I am not on face ache, what would you recommend as a good first and last hand held thermal around the £900

13 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, thanks for that 👍, I am not on face ache, what would you recommend as a good first and last hand held thermal around the £900

Like I say , the Hti is my choice, its simple operation , 6 hour battery, with a low mag , gives good clarity and field of view, you wont find another 35 mm thermal for that sort of money.

The Guide nano and Xeye E3N , are next up , but are around £1000

A lot of people swear by the Pulsar thermals , but Im not impressed by the image until you spend upwards of £2k.

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

I would be looking for a second hand Pulsar,  they do come up as people upgrade, but you don't need the best and newest spec, for identifying foxes at 300 yards you'll need it but at air rifle range even beyond showing heat sources so you have an idea where the squirrel or rabbits are any of the thermals will amaze you,  lots of people like the Hik models but they do have a narrower field of view and they have an integral battery.

19 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, it looks like the 400 model, bigger lens and I/R ,thanks for your help, 

Yes mine has 8 batteries.  There is nothing on the outside of mine to say what model and had it over twelve months now.

A tip, when using and switching on hold the viewing sceeen close to your chest as it flares white for the first few second then goes to the picture setting.  Had foxes very close in to me and they have sometimes looked a bit enquiringly but it has never sppoked one.  The screen does throw some light back on your face but it doesn't seem to relate to a fox etc doing a runner.  I use one of DaveGs last NV units and it is still killing foxes Dave no problem. That also throws a bit of light back but never seems to trouble the fox, sometimes it helps because they will stop and look. It doesn't seem to have the same effect as putting a lamp beam on them.  Thermals are great if you have the money and use, but my simple NV unit still keeps finding them for me and I simply drop the unit which is on a strap similar to binos and pick up the rifle.

Not many people realise a tightly focused NV illuminator is a brighter source of light that is seen more easily than a face slightly lit up by a screen and filter gels sheets can minimise that further. Thermal has really taken off because there is no illuminator being focused smack right into quarry's dark adjusted eyes. Also thermal can pick out heat sources in daylight too.

48 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yes mine has 8 batteries.  There is nothing on the outside of mine to say what model and had it over twelve months now.

A tip, when using and switching on hold the viewing sceeen close to your chest as it flares white for the first few second then goes to the picture setting.  Had foxes very close in to me and they have sometimes looked a bit enquiringly but it has never sppoked one.  The screen does throw some light back on your face but it doesn't seem to relate to a fox etc doing a runner.  I use one of DaveGs last NV units and it is still killing foxes Dave no problem. That also throws a bit of light back but never seems to trouble the fox, sometimes it helps because they will stop and look. It doesn't seem to have the same effect as putting a lamp beam on them.  Thermals are great if you have the money and use, but my simple NV unit still keeps finding them for me and I simply drop the unit which is on a strap similar to binos and pick up the rifle.

Hello , ok that would be the 400 model taking 8 AA batteries, 400 yards according to the specifications, I will keep in mind that info on start up, would need some decent batteries and new charger, might try some IKEA ladda AAs , thanks to reply

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

I would be looking for a second hand Pulsar,  they do come up as people upgrade, but you don't need the best and newest spec, for identifying foxes at 300 yards you'll need it but at air rifle range even beyond showing heat sources so you have an idea where the squirrel or rabbits are any of the thermals will amaze you,  lots of people like the Hik models but they do have a narrower field of view and they have an integral battery.

Hello, thanks for reply, I would prefer a separate battery unit, I will be mulling over all this info if I decide to upgrade or change my old N V spotter

41 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, thanks for reply, I would prefer a separate battery unit, I will be mulling over all this info if I decide to upgrade or change my old N V spotter

It's not really an issue, half the time it's just a couple of 18650 batteries inside the unit, they can be changed if, several years down the line they start under performing. 

The pulsar batteries are similar, just put inside a proprietary unit and 5 x the price. 

There's even videos on you tube of how to swap out the innards of Pulsar APS type batteries and put a new 18650 inside them. 

@oldypigeonpopper I am not very technical but I took the picture below of a grey squirrel  with my mobile through the eyepiece of my pulsar.  (I have absolutely how to do it properly!)

It is not very good but it does show how brightly the squirrel glows on a dark day. You will notice the branches of the tree are rather faint and are normally better defined. However through the new  Hik vision the branches will be very clear.

F2AB15B8-BD16-4B48-94EF-18D4004ADA5E.jpeg.90fdce1c9a7a87ce28b360d90a1b9e94.jpeg038810BE-A504-4280-A5DF-7E18561247A6.jpeg.395b202d83f50ebcf378febb4d04f79a.jpeg

This is very crude but I hope it helps you get an idea of what you will see with a thermal. The picture is taken in full daylight, on a dull day the squirrel glow even more.

On 11/05/2021 at 19:58, Sciurus said:

@oldypigeonpopper I am not very technical but I took the picture below of a grey squirrel  with my mobile through the eyepiece of my pulsar.  (I have absolutely how to do it properly!)

It is not very good but it does show how brightly the squirrel glows on a dark day. You will notice the branches of the tree are rather faint and are normally better defined. However through the new  Hik vision the branches will be very clear.

This is very crude but I hope it helps you get an idea of what you will see with a thermal. The picture is taken in full daylight, on a dull day the squirrel glow even more.

Yes sometimes with the Axion it takes a bit of working out the exact location due to the x3.5 mag and some branches not being too clear, which makes me ask how would the branches look with a Hik or Guide as from YouTube vids they show the branches very clear but would they be too bright on a warmer day as the Axion can get glowing branches and moss when they have been in the sun for a while, just a thought as not looked used either a Hik or Guide?

1 hour ago, powler said:

Yes sometimes with the Axion it takes a bit of working out the exact location due to the x3.5 mag and some branches not being too clear, which makes me ask how would the branches look with a Hik or Guide as from YouTube vids they show the branches very clear but would they be too bright on a warmer day as the Axion can get glowing branches and moss when they have been in the sun for a while, just a thought as not looked used either a Hik or Guide?

My unit is lower mag than yours, 1.8X but I quite often try out the different colour settings now, I'm normally on rainbow but if a different setting is clearer on a particular day I'll use. that 

45 minutes ago, Mice! said:

My unit is lower mag than yours, 1.8X but I quite often try out the different colour settings now, I'm normally on rainbow but if a different setting is clearer on a particular day I'll use. that 

Ah yer I'll try that next time as usually just have it on white hot.