Malinois

bigbird

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best advice for stopping a dog pulling is never ever let them make progress while pulling on the lead,it takes some time and patience but it will become a learnt behaviour not to pull with time. It is harder with highly driven dogs but it is possible. 

On 17/04/2022 at 12:37, B725 said:

I can think of one or two so called trainer's that should wear one of those especially those that pick their dog's up by the ear's. 

Like you say, anyone that needs to pick a dog up by the ears isn't fit to refer to themselves as a trainer. 

16 hours ago, bigbird said:

This idiot would quite happily choke

himself out 🙄

That said he’s improving leaps and bounds and we’re really starting to get there with the focus heelwork 😊

Don't beat yourself up, it's something that takes time and patience and often depends on the dog, it sounds like he certainly doesn't lack drive. But given a bit of time, if he learns that unless he stays by your side he won't take a single step forwards, ever and that's what I've found ultimately works. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ditchman said:

where abouts ?

In welcome near Koonstad. The dogs are to deter farm murders. The owner had his son killed in a break in. Daughter in law killed one on top of her with a derringer. It's a lawless country but hunting is good.

18 minutes ago, oowee said:

In welcome near Koonstad. The dogs are to deter farm murders. The owner had his son killed in a break in. Daughter in law killed one on top of her with a derringer. It's a lawless country but hunting is good.

we used tethered boar baboons on a running chain instead of dogs

On 09/05/2022 at 19:11, bigbird said:

Idiot 🙄😂

E1DFD64B-F219-403F-BA46-5342FA280845.jpegMuscling up nicely though!

Yeah good way to injure a leg that. 

Cracking looking dog that 👌

On 10/05/2022 at 17:06, oowee said:

They have Boerboels out there, some seriously powerful dogs to. 

On 13/05/2022 at 22:25, bigbird said:

It was his reward for outing - do you think it’s a bad idea?

Seems to work - I get the long line may tangle …

I usually get rid of the long line before rewarding for play, it's unlikely but I have seen an injury or two from a leg getting tangled, also goes without saying to be very careful with a long line if near traffic. Fantastic photo though 👍

On 22/05/2022 at 19:17, bigbird said:

Ahhh yeah I totally get you 👍

Few from today!

37B8B019-CA00-4034-9B35-C2C16362FE9C.jpeg

Botheration the other files are too large - never mind!

Absolutely stunning and excellent shape. I can see how alert he is just from the photo. Definitely keep you busy that one 👍